Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Ideas for lego train layout

LegorunnerLegorunner Member Posts: 35
edited June 2011 in Building and Techniques
Has anybody ever built a switching yard layout before? I'm planning on building a nice modest small switching yard layout by buying the Maersk #10219. I realize I will have to motor it, I also need to pick up the straight tracks and switchers. I'm completating on buying Emerald Night too as well.

The layout would have to be 3 feet by 8-10 feet

I would like to keep it simple rather than go fancy and set up a train layout with the city. I have no time nor the money to build one. At a local train show I attended last year, a guy had a train layout full of Lego he built out of with the modular stuff. I was impressed with it; it's this one I was surprised to find this on youtube. Seeing that Santa Fe is making me want one too as well.

This is gonna put a hurt on my wallet lol. Any suggestions, ideas?

Comments

• LegorunnerLegorunner Member Posts: 35
    Forgot to include one more thing. Which is better in term of track? 9v or RC?
  • JasenJasen Member Posts: 283
    I built one last week just to watch my passenger and toy story trains get a work out. I used the same size layout but nowhere as many impressive buildings in the middle. :D
    I use RC only because that's how the passenger train came and I have enough tracks to circle the planet now haha
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Better is such a subjective statement. Each one has its advantages and disadvantages. I think the most important thing to keep in mind is that 9v track is out of production and was more expensive to produce than RC track. Therefore, it will cost a lot more for a length of 9v track than it will for RC track.

Personally, I like the shiny metal look of 9v track.
  • LegorunnerLegorunner Member Posts: 35
    edited June 2011
    so RC track is more cheaper in long run. Okay, that will do.

Now there's a matter of designing the switching yard layout. Trouble is I've no idea what type of switching yard I'd like.
  • collect_thatcollect_that Kidderminster, EnglandMember Posts: 1,312
    I have a Train/city layout as my main on going project It's built upon a sheet of MDF approx 5' x 10' and covered in green cloth, to avoid covering the whole board in Lego. it is seated on a wooden frame, which stores all my boxes and other sets underneath.

During the development I learned that -

> Although my layout uses 9V and RC, RC offers more to a hobby layout as it has greater flexibility in control over multiple trains all from the same control box rather than 9V being ALL or NOTHING. Although 9V has its advantages for public displays. Being able to move trains independently in and out of sidings and stations feels better.

>RC track is way cheaper and easier to purchase and the flexi track are great for small layouts as you can reduce your turning curves to fit on your board. Play with you track first to see how many pieces you need and what it allows you to fit inside and out on your board. The track governs it all.

>Look to the future, I've changed the layout many times to accomodate an upcoming set!

>Road baseplates are EXPENSIVE!! why can't I buy just straights!! My tracks circle a town 3plates by 9 plates (Anyone want crossroads, I have spare!!). Have ways out of your town too crossing over the track so it doesn'y look penned in.

>Scale! older town sets most of the time seem out of place, and older train sets. Although rolling stock from all sets is pretty much similar! The new red passenger train is a lot larger than any other train set and can look a little odd, I had to adapt my 10128 level crossing to allow it to pass under the walkway.

>If it's gonna take you a while to construct, get a small vacuum cleaner. Dust is the enemy!

> a Mono Rail always looks cool! GET ONE!!

I found these sets to be the most enjoyable and usable -

10219 Maersk train (fitted out with battery box)
    4559 Cargo Railway
    4512 Cargo Train
    10128 level crossing ( my personal favourite)
    7937 Station
    7997 Station
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Seconded the monorail and cargo train.
    Monorail rules!