Marketplace Price Guide?

SiESiE Member Posts: 237
edited January 2013 in Forum Operation
A real gripe for me on here is selling without a guide price.

I also collect neo geo aes games but something which is used a lot is the price guide.

http://www.neo-geo.com/guides/aesguide.html

Would it be possible to do something similar. Either updated manually or something that takes an average of ebay sales in the last few months.

This could then be a starting point to base prices on. It could take an ebay price and reduce it by 10% to reflect fees. You could also show a min and a max price sold as well as average.

Possible?

Comments

• kempo81kempo81 Wiltshire, UKMember Posts: 961
    There are a few sites around doing this already...

http://www.brickpicker.com/
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,028
    You could also use the BrickLink Price Guide. It lists all sales from the past 6 months for everything from sets to parts to calatalogs... anything that has been sold. It is also broken down to new and used condition, so it is very useful; And it also lists all currently listed items of course.

Just to give an example, here is the BrickLink Price Guide info for the old LEGO elephant: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=elephant1c01

Just click on the Price Guide Info section, and everything you need to know is there. It is a really excellent feature. Please note though that you have to be logged into BrickLink to see some of the Price Guide info, like the countries for the currently listed items. But most of the info is there even if you are not logged in...(c;
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    The marketplace is simply a venue for buyers, sellers and traders to find each other. There are plenty of readily available resources online to help someone make an informed decision on aftermarket value. And for those that are still unsure, they can always submit a new thread in Buying and Selling asking for help with valuation.
  • SiESiE Member Posts: 237
    I just think that the fact that a starting price does not have to be specified puts me off the section. I listed some stuff on there for sale a while back and got shot down for including a starting point price which was not particularly high in fact it was very fair. A central system giving prices would be really helpful.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    From my experience, marketplace offers that list a price are much more successful than those left vague and open ended. But any listed (or final) price is entirely subjective to the transaction including but not limited to condition, completeness, location and urgency of either party. As such, any price guide would simply be a point of reference. For nearly two years, buyers, sellers and traders have seemed to successfully navigate these waters without any additional help. That being said, I certainly have no issues if you wish to develop, publish and manage your own aftermarket price guide.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,799
    These days, if there is no price listed on something for sale, I assume it is because it is too high and I don't bother asking.