Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Brick Separator Overflow

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,251
    Sort of a tangent here, but would you consider a set which includes a separator incomplete if it was not included in a used set sale/trade?
  • canuckcanuck Member Posts: 88
    It's categorized on Bricklink as an extra so no.
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 791
    So far I have managed to rack up a total of 7 orange.
    I have kept two back and the rest I have given to my daughter so she always has one to hand as I try to encourage her to use seperaters instead of her teeth to avoid choking on somthing.

The Technic rod is a big help too, it would of saved me swollowing a cog as a kid :-(
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,201

I have kept two back and the rest I have given to my daughter so she always has one to hand as I try to encourage her to use seperaters instead of her teeth to avoid choking on somthing.

And to stop bite marks in the bricks. I guess you've got your priorities the right way around!
  • ErnstErnst Member Posts: 133
    I have 2 now, came both with LotR sets.
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    I don't know how you can all know exactly. There are 2 on the floor in the TV room, 2 in the dining room, 3 orange and a green out in the LEGO room but I know there's a grey somewhere and probably more orange. As to what's in the unopened boxes......

^^^ my daughter will still use teeth if she thinks we're not looking, but I caught one of her friends doing it this weekend, on a minifigure head! We had a chat about that, we've also had to chat with this friend about taking out minifig hands. I really do want her to have friends over to play but it's terrifying too :).
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 510
    Ha, good one!
    4 (helmsdeep, heartlandstable, cityalarm, gungansub)...
  • ptericpteric Member Posts: 156
    0 unless I have them in some unopened sets. Which sets are they in?
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    pteric said:

0 unless I have them in some unopened sets. Which sets are they in?

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=96874&in=S
  • AquapolisAquapolis Member Posts: 32
    1. I think i lost the other 2 i had.
    @legobrandoncp that's what I needed! There should be 34 in the house then, because I know there are 2 old style separators.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,162
    I have 20 or so old ones and 7 new style. Yet we are always looking for one. They are never where they belong.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,251
    I have 8 and sold one on Bricklink last summer from the Quinjet. Will probably have a ton more once I start buying this years sets.
  • legonut80legonut80 UKMember Posts: 314
    I have 20 orange ones and 1 old green one. I showed my 6 year old son last year how it worked and he was amazed :)

@Jenni I worry about them having friends to play for that reason. I like our minifigures to keep their hands. I've been lucky so far but we've not had many friends come to play :)
    @legonut80 but you keep your LEGO somewhat contained, it's not spread over every room of the house :).
  • T_LarsT_Lars USAMember Posts: 104
    I've got two of the old style gray (I think one came in a Basic set, the other I have no idea where it came from) and four new orange. My experience with the old style wasn't too great, so I was reluctant about using the new ones but they really do work well, especially with the back end for removing tiles. They are usefull to have but I can see myself ending up with a ton of them, kinda like the "Tamiya multi-tool" collection I've got from all of my RC cars.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,425
    All of the ones I have (7 Grey) are from lots I have purchased.. I think I actually bought a green one. why I'm not sure, but I can say they can go 'bad' and not really grip brick well after enough usage.
  • soundczarsoundczar Member Posts: 21
    Great idea for a thread! I have two old-style greys, three old-style greens,and about 15 new-style oranges. I build in three different locations and keep them scattered between all three.
  • ZeyaZeya Member Posts: 36

I join two together on the technic axle using this

This is ingenious! You've just given me something to do with the inevitable influx of separators I will be getting in the coming months/years. I wonder if you could also join them together with a long technic beam brick.
  • BrewBrew New Mexico (It's an actual state in the US)Member Posts: 182
    Not sure how many I have... Maybe a couple dozen of various colors.

I just know they can be super helpful. I disassembled a Grand Carousel last summer and would've had bruised fingertips without it. Especially all those tiles on the base plate...
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    146 orange
    ShpadoinkleBrickDancerGuroooicey117jasormurphquake
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    At least 4 old green, 2gray, umpteen new orange (they are all over the house and Lego shop) and 1 new green one. Have no idea how many in sealed boxes.
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 476
    I have two old style green ones and probably around 9 new orange ones. The science center near me has a LEGO area where kids can free build. I think I will bring several and drop them in the brick bin next time I go with my daughter. They are useful but six are probably enough.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    15 orange, 1 green and 2 dark grey plus about 15-20 more in unopened box sets. I really need to either slow down collecting them or find some other uses for them :)
  • TitusTitus Member Posts: 79
    canuck said:

I really dislike the new orange ones because they can't be used as 'pliers' like the old ones.

Can the green ones be used as pliers? And, how exactly does that work?
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    Now up to three new style greens thanks to Saturday's purchases at the AFOL shopping day!
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    I would have to do a lot of searching to find them all, but I'd estimate 3 Green and a red brick ruler, plus about 30-50 of the orange ones, and a few more in unopened sets.... I have so many orange sets that I gave a friend's new FKFOL (Lego Friends KFOL!) 4 of them recently, and at least 2 or 4 to a LUGmate who mostly builds trains and mindstorms and didn't have any. When I LUG NY did our NYCC display I know I threw a dozen in one of my boxes, sadly i came home with all of them too =-)

I need to throw them up on ebay or something.

@canuck what exactly do you mean by using the green ones as "pliers"?
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 686
    ^re: "pliers": In the old style separators, the bottom edge of the "wall" underneath the "cavities" was a very sharp point; you could use it to dig underneath the groove of tiles, etc. to pop them off.

With the new style separators, that "wall" is no longer a sharp edge, so you can't use it to pop off the grooved parts. However, the end of the handle is now a sharp point, so by turning the separator around you can use the end as pliers for those tiles. It works, but I prefer the old style design, because you don't need to change grips to use the separator in either gripping or pliers mode. Just my preference...
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 686
    ^Now that I think about it some more...has anyone tried to use two of the new separators to take apart 1x2 plates (i.e. one on top and the other on the bottom)? With the new technic post (which I love BTW), can you physically fit two separators on top of each other like that and snap apart the plates like you could with the old design? I only have one open and have never tried this...
  • beegeedeebeegeedee Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 380
    ^I'd probably stick it onto a brick first then try and separate that way. The axle would probably get in the way with 2 orange ones but I suppose you could do it with the 2 handles pointing in opposite directions.

I'm just guessing here - not tried it myself.
    Oldfan
  • ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 420
    @Oldfan: Yes! This is my preferred use for the separators. Put two 1X2 plates together nice and tight and try it with two separators like pliers, you will be an instant fan! I didn't even use them until I read about this method on the Learn 2 Play blog, now I keep two together at every "Lego station" in the house!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,201
    If you have loads of orange ones and don't mind a bit of diy, just chop the technic pin off.

Alternatively, for 1x and 2x plates stuck on top of each other, you can just use one on each side, one top, one bottom.
  • emmtwosixemmtwosix Member Posts: 80
    canuck said:

It's categorized on Bricklink as an extra so no.

For some reason, it's not considered an extra in 75004 - Z-95 Headhunter.

And I have four orange separators. One loose, one still in a sealed set, and two from opened sets. They're so useful, but I'm pretty sure I don't need anymore, but I would like to have one of each of the old ones, for some reason.

• canuckcanuck Member Posts: 88
    @Murphquake & @Titus If you have two 1x plates stuck together you can use a brick separator on top and one on the bottom, if both are used at the same time you can get them unstuck.
    timinchicagoTitus
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    Maybe Lego will start including random chrome gold ones with sets.
    icey117
  • emmtwosixemmtwosix Member Posts: 80
    I think "priers" would probably be a better description for them than pliers.
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    @canuck, oh ok, i thought you meant something to squeeze things together, that's opposite of how pliers work in my mind, but it's a technique i'm well familiar with.
  • dimefielddimefield Edmonton Alberta CanadaMember Posts: 314
    2 old grey and at least 10 of the new orange separators. They are like guitar picks though.. Can never find one when you need one!
  • aimlesspursuitsaimlesspursuits USMember Posts: 207
    ^I know what you mean. I have 5, 1 green and 4 orange...can only find the 1 green and 2 of the orange right now.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    I'm burning mine for fuel to stay warm in the chilly Illinois winters. Thankfully, I have a good-sized stack of them. Every night I throw a couple dozen on the fire and that lasts through the night.
    soundczary2josh
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    i have 1 new style orange(planning on buying more off bl since I heard they are cool moc additions) from a small pink brick bucket, 1 old style green, and 2 old style gray.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    @ACWWGal2011, we have way too many of those orange brick separators, if you are in the US how about trading a few for a poly bag?
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 727
    Not going to count mine, but do have one in that lives in my purse. You never can tell when you will need to separate some bricks.
    carlqGothamConstructionCoherekittykittyJennikhmellymelcoachiered5ravendragonwing
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,304
    ^ Me too!

I have three loose; one green, two orange (one of the orange ones is the one that is in my schoolbag), and then, surprise to me, I also have 4 orange ones from sets. I totally didn't even realise!
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,372
    edited October 2013
    I have so many orange brick separators, I've lost count of how many I own. There must be at least one brick separator in every room of my house you know.

But during the summer, I was asked to help take down a brick wall, so I took a brick separator with me to where the brick wall was located. That was when I realised the guy who asked me to help was actually talking about a concrete brick wall. That was the only time a brick separator was actually entirely useless in separating bricks, no matter how many I used!

:-P
    GothamConstructionCoSirKevbags
  • dneuldneul Member Posts: 369
    I have around 15 loose and they live in a tub on the table. I also carry one on my keychain. I drilled a small hole on the handle end and attached it to a ball chain then a lego keychain which gets connected to my keys so I am never without.
    AFFOL_Shellz_Bellzaimlesspursuits
  • wander099wander099 Member Posts: 114
    I have 1 old grey and I did have 9 new orange (+2 in sets on the way right now, so 11), but I gave 3 orange to relatively young children to whom I am connected in various ways - my sister's boyfriend's little brother for example. Everyone who has lego can make use of a brick separator at some point and since I had so many...
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    I recently got 4 more from Bricklink. Planning on grabbing a few more down the line.
  • 91stlegotrooper91stlegotrooper Member Posts: 92
    5 orange ones with more on the way.