Brick Separator Overflow

ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 418
edited January 2013 in Everything else LEGO
Just a fun little topic I thought of today while putting together a set.

Question: How many of the orange brick separators do you have?

Me: 8

Comments

• kwkwkwkw USAMember Posts: 1,169
    Me:27 lol good question @Shpadoinkle. I have 12 out of box as of right now because of the sets I've built and the other 15 are still in their sealed boxes waiting for a rainy day :)
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,272
    26 in all for me. Great thread!
  • GrogallGrogall Munich, GermanyMember Posts: 159
    42: Orange
    5: Green

most still in sealed boxes
    SumoLegoomnium
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    Hmmm...1 green, 1 grey...I'm a little behind here...
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    edited January 2013
    I orange...and 2 grey....way behind
  • jasonord69ajasonord69a UKMember Posts: 404
    Only 2 orange for me :-(
  • flowerpotgirlflowerpotgirl ScotlandMember Posts: 147
    I got three grey ones. Didn't buy any of them.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,128
    at least 40 i would say, but haven't counted.
  • WatfordScottyMWatfordScottyM Member Posts: 392
    I was a separator virgin until Monday. I have my first one now though.
    jasor
  • ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 418
    @WatfordScottyM, they work best in pairs, and they work REALLY well (having had some of the old gray ones when I was a kid I was never really impressed, but the orange ones are GREAT!)
  • slovakiastephslovakiasteph USAMember Posts: 62
    Two green, five orange. I only need two of each, so I put the rest on bricklink.
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    7 orange opened. Not sure how many are in sealed boxes.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    5 Orange Plate
    2 Green Brick
    1 Old Gray Brick
  • carlqcarlq Ruislip Manor, MiddlesexMember Posts: 792
    1 green (unexpected bonus in an old brick bucket I inherited), 1 orange (bought in a polybag from the Watford store a few weeks back), and very strong fingernails. :-)
    Legobutterfly
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,143
    ONE! Got it from the Sopwith Camel set :)
    Shpadoinklelegoprods
  • HemelHemel Member Posts: 33
    Too many! I've been selling mine as there's not really any point in having so many...
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,445
    1, from Helms Deep.
  • ReliantReliant Member Posts: 68
    3 grey never even used them one time.

Have never seen the newer ones. :)

• OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 621
    1 orange in a polybag, 1 in #10228 , and maybe a couple more in sets that I haven't opened yet.

Are there any different colors for the new style yet, or just orange?
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,445
    ^ There's green in the Horizon Express.
  • GuroooGurooo Member Posts: 268
    17! Some of them still in unopened boxes, but I have a lot of them laying around. It's handy for me to have a lot of them, I can always find two even if I don't really keep track of them.
    @Oldfan The one in Horizon express is green, according to bricklink.
  • CalvCalv Central EnglandMember Posts: 847
    I've got about 3 orange and 1 green in use. Theres 11 spares available in my Bricklink store and an unknown quantity in sets.

Wonder what the chances of them selling on Bricklink are? None sold yet.
  • canuckcanuck Member Posts: 88
    1 - Grey
    6 - Green
    14 - Orange
    I really dislike the new orange ones because they can't be used as 'pliers' like the old ones. Because of this i have a gradually growing pile of orange ones from all the new 2012 sets and soon to be green from 2013.
  • ZonZon Member Posts: 214
    1 orange, from the Avengers Quinjet. Proud to be a one-separator owner!
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    I have 12 now but that's because, in the easiest order I've ever had to pull and pack, someone ordered 30 from me. At first I really thought they were a joke or superfluous or just for kids... Boy was I wrong! Now I never build or de-build without it.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,028
    I have two orange ones and two of the old-style ones in green. I agree with @canuck; I don't like the new ones as much because they can't be used like pliers. Although the orange one does have some nice features as well; the front lip is sharper, so easier to slide under tiles, and the axle remover is a nice touch. I wish LEGO would make a brick-separator using the features of both. Anyway, having two of each pretty much covers all possible uses...(c:
  • indigoboxindigobox Member Posts: 470
    I have 6 orange ones.

It was a life saver tonight when I was building the grand emporium. Put a few little bricks in the wrong spot and voila it managed to separate them with no issues.
  • mrtonytjmrtonytj Guest Posts: 214
    62 orange. No other colors yet. As @Gurooo said before mine are everywhere and can always find two at a moments notice without really looking. In a pair they are a godsend for 2x1 plates that are jammed together!
    One thing I do find useful with the new orange separators is you can now use them to remove jumper plates, as for the axle pusher I usually have a spare axle around to use.
  • DeckerDecker Member Posts: 65
    4 green and 14 orange. Wow... I did not realize I had so many.
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 551
    edited January 2013
    At least 4 green and 4 orange open, with another 2 orange belonging to my kids in the house.

Although I find plastic guitar picks to also be especially helpful for separating bricks and removing tiles, and I have a half-dozen of those at my "building station."
    Love the new title. 'brick separator overflow'
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 523
    I think I have three of the old gray brick separator and an unknown quantity of the new orange one. I don't think I've ever obtained one of the green ones.
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    This thread just further proves I have a serious LEGO problem...

I only have orange ones and now I suddenly find myself wanting a green one.

/Puts down the laptop and slowly backs away before placing yet another Bricklink, [email protected], Amazon order.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,909
    2 Gray
    2 Green
    1 Orange

:D
  • lilmonster777lilmonster777 Member Posts: 53
    38 :)
  • fitzyfitzfitzyfitz ManchesterMember Posts: 94
    Has anybody managed to use them for MOCing yet? I've been mulling over using them upside down as a roof, but only have two of them so far.
  • SpicySpicy Member Posts: 25
    I got my first separator with #70006 Cragger's Command Ship. I'm so glad something like this exists.
  • BuzzsawBuzzsaw UKMember Posts: 79
    2 Orange.
    Plus more in unopened boxes - which I cannot be bothered to count.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 621
    canuck said:

1 - Grey
    6 - Green
    14 - Orange
    I really dislike the new orange ones because they can't be used as 'pliers' like the old ones. Because of this i have a gradually growing pile of orange ones from all the new 2012 sets and soon to be green from 2013.

As @akunthita mentioned, the back end of the new style separators is much sharper than before, and can be used to lift tiles etc. off of plates. But, I much prefer the sharp end on the lower lip of the old-style unit; you don't have to turn the separator around in your hand to pry off those tiles like you do with the new ones.

That said, the new style is more ergonomically-friendly (at least to my hands), and I REALLY like having the ability to pop out those technic pins.

• hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 863
    1 old school gray from the 80s and 4-5 new orange ones scattered throughout the house for LEGO emergencies.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,779

A great use of multiple separators is to join them together for removing large plates or disassembling mosaics

I join two together on the technic axle using this

I have three that I glued together in the same configuration. Handy for removing 6x and longer plates one handed.
  • ZacheranoZacherano Member Posts: 59
    I have seven of the orange ones (I think), one grey, and one green. Since I've dispersed them throughout various WIPs, I don't know if these numbers are entirely accurate.
  • LegoPodcasterLegoPodcaster Member Posts: 115
    @Fitzyfitz This is a Vic-Viper MOC that includes the separators.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/si-mocs/8210775115/in/set-72157627882393977/
    JennifitzyfitzT_Lars
  • bogeymanukbogeymanuk Member Posts: 30
    I got my first one at christmas with the Moria set and I had no idea what it was and not having read the boring first pages of the instruction manual I assumed it was some sort of piece to lever or flip something as one of the play features. It was only after finishing the whole thing and having it left over I realised what it was :)
    I have three now and I wish I had them when I was a child as lots of my old lego has bite marks where I used to hold one piece in my mouth to get it away from another :(
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    ^^ Loving the use of them in the MOC. That'd not be a bad topic for the monthly build event!

Great topic though @shpadoinkle. Mine are pretty dispersed too and about half are still in sealed boxes, so not got an accurate count, but looking on bricklink at the sets they are in, I am surprised but must have about 50 orange and 1 green. Have put some on bricklink (but guess not many will want to buy more!) and given a few to the kids, but definitely at overflow stage.
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    I have 2, which I bought separately. I think there was another with the haunted house, but I didn't open the bag it was in when I built the set.

They are definitely a welcome addition. Other than my teeth, I also used knives as a kid to try to separate bricks. I'm lucky that I didn't hurt myself (that I recall, anyway).
  • beegeedeebeegeedee Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 380
    I got 1 green out of a blue bucket of lego I got when coming out of the dark ages and bought a small pink bucket mainly for an orange one (and the bricks) as it seemed the cheapest way to get lego and a separator. Then earlier this month I got my second orange one in Fun with Vehicles.

I like they give them out in actual sets like the quinjet instead of just the assorted brick sets.