Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

10217 Diagon Alley as a Modular

Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
edited June 2011 in Building and Techniques
Hi folks

You're probably familiar with Ollivanders from Diagon Alley

Well, I thought it'd be better as a modular, so I made it into one...

Also at MocPages (might take an hour or two to come online)
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/273280

When I got the original 10217 Diagon Alley, I loved the design of Ollivanders, and I reckoned it would have been better as a modular, so I decided to make it into one. I live near London, and see buildings like this when I go into the old City, so I'm very pleased that I now have a modular in this style. I really wanted the building to have an alleyway along the side of it, and down the alley there are lights and another entrance to the shop, which also allows you to enter a small garden.

I'm still awaiting some pieces from bricklink, which I'll use to improve the gables and the top fence, and do some work round the back (which isn't complete yet), as well as adding a chimmney.

The shop is much deeper than most modulars, as the interior will be very detailed - I'm not trying to recreate a potter building, rather I'm trying to use the design to make a realistic-looking antique shop. The interior has a way to go yet, but I'll add that too when it's done. Anyway hope you like my first modular.

As far I know, this hasn't been done anywhere else yet, hope you like it.

Adzbadboy

Comments

• StevenAshbyStevenAshby Member Posts: 155
    Wow that looks awesome, that must have taken some planning. Im going to have to have a go at a custom one i think after seeing this and drdaves in my thread
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    looks fantastic so far - can't wait to see the mocpages on it.
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 329
    Very nice, I really like that! Looking forward to the rest of the photos once they come online. Good work :)
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited June 2011
    more pics;

Adzbadboy
  • AlczervikAlczervik Member Posts: 93
    very impressive looks goregous
    Thanks guys - here's a side view
    Adzbadboy
  • acedogg77acedogg77 Member Posts: 110
    That is beautiful, reminds me of York.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Nice work Si. I like your idea of using an existing building and modding it. I don't have the funds to do one from scratch, and I loath mixing up existing sets with others. However, adding to a set with a few (though I suspect in this case lots) of new pieces feels more comfortable to me. I'd like to make a modular sized pub. Or go the other way and make more of the smaller 'fold in half' buildings like the MMV ones. I suspect if I ever could bring myself to dismantle the firebrigade it could supply most of the bricks to do that with.
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    edited June 2011
    ^^^ Si - can you go easy on the image sizes. The one above is 6.8mb, not funny when reading this site on a mobile browser. Thanks.
    edited June 2011
    @Martin - Sorry, am used to it crunching as you upload - one's actually 14mb I believe .... am happy to crunch and resend if you're able to swap them out somehow.

@Savage_Steel thanks - It's basically 2x Ollivanders + 2x Apple tree rooves + a bunch of castle/potter spares & a few bricklink bits. Total price for the exterior not much more than the pet shop (although have some tweaking and improving to do still, probably will end up more like 170 in the end for the exterior which still isn't bad for a modular).
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    ^ If you can upload them to http://www.postimage.org/, flickr or similar, and PM any mod/admin the URLs we can swap them, otherwise you could upload the images into a new post and we can remove the old ones.
  • warrenelsmorewarrenelsmore Member Posts: 77
    Very cool!

I did the same with the Market Street a couple of years back (photoset here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/warrenelsmore/sets/72157615619779810/with/3367322027/ ) and it even maskeraded as the Leaky Cauldron at AFOLCON with a standard Diagon Alley behind. But it's nowhere near as good as yours!
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    Oh, was it yours? I remember seeing it at The Lego Show and really liking it as I have been intending to do the same and turn the tavern into the Leaky Cauldron ever since I bought my MMV 2 years ago!
  • warrenelsmorewarrenelsmore Member Posts: 77
    Yep, that was mine. Nothing particularly special but I am very tempted to carry on building the Potter-ised London :)
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,624
    @Si_Dorking_Surrey_UK, Have you ever tried doing a corner building like your own Ollivanders, I was thinking about it the other day that they could be a great addition to the Modulars??
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,624
    @Si_Dorking_Surrey_UK, Do you have any interior detail for the Ollivanders??