Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Modular Custom Designs

Comments

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,384
    My memory is really hazy on this, but I think that the model at STEAM belonged to James Sutton who reversed-engineered the original.
  • warrenelsmorewarrenelsmore Member Posts: 77
    ^ You are correct. James reverse engineered it a while back I believe, though I don't think Jamie Berard had seen it in the brick before STEAM this year.
  • warrenelsmorewarrenelsmore Member Posts: 77
    ^ You are correct. James reverse engineered it a while back I believe, though I don't think Jamie Berard had seen it in the brick before STEAM this year.
  • stephenvwstephenvw Lexington, KYMember Posts: 89
    edited October 2011
    Here's another design I've recently finished. It's just an apartment, but it only uses the pieces from 10197 Fire Brigade. I'll post more pics of the interior. First floor has a kitchen with mostly the same designs (refrigerator) as in the original model. Second floor is the family room with the original couch and an LCD TV hanging on the wall. I'm hoping to be able to add a fireplace, but I'm very limited on pieces. Third floor is a loft (similar to 10218 Pet Shop) along with a bed. Let me know what you think!
  • stephenvwstephenvw Lexington, KYMember Posts: 89
    Here are some more pictures!
    dejavu
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    My wife was in NYC last weekend and saw this real-life fire brigade and took a picture...look familiar?

Adzbadboy
  • burnsideburnside Member Posts: 45
    edited February 2012
    I'm doing a mod on the Grand Emporium 2nd floor items. I added a couple shelves to fit the glassware and then add a coffee maker w/cups and then added some pans to the plates on the tables. Thought this might give others ideas to fill the 2nd floor with more items.
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,299
    First the hate and now this? Someone is creative.
    I like the ideas, although I think it could use a little something else. Maybe a coffee table or something? Little "barish" type setting? That would be difficult to squeeze in though I imagine.
  • jaypwilliejaypwillie Member Posts: 3
    I just finished building this set and while looking at the second for was thinking to myself, "wow, this is a little lame compared to the rest of it". Perfect timing @burnside and I really like what you did. What program did you use to create that image? My apologies if that is a rookie question, but I am just getting into all of this.
  • burnsideburnside Member Posts: 45
    I used LEGO Digital Designer. I had the same thoughts as you. I am changing the top level from a "toy floor" to a sports floor. I'll share a pic of that when I'm done.
  • parkerwilsonparkerwilson Member Posts: 142
    I used LEGO Digital Designer. I had the same thoughts as you. I am changing the top level from a "toy floor" to a sports floor. I'll share a pic of that when I'm done.
    I got a idea, Just add another floor and have both :)
  • jaypwilliejaypwillie Member Posts: 3
    That's a pretty cool idea. Can't wait to see it.
    @stephenvw... that looks fantastic! One of the best customs I've ever seen!
  • FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502
    edited February 2012
    Thought I would contribute some photos of my recent butcher shop creation. Did not use digital designer, just built it from my spare parts collection.
    dejavu
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    great idea! think you need to get on bricklink and get another 10 of those chops!
  • adello25adello25 U.S.A.Member Posts: 360
    edited March 2012
    I love the Grand Emporium. That is the reason I came out of my dark ages. Quick little story for ya...started a new job in Oct 2010 and found out my boss was a HUGE lego fan. She had a catalog with her so I just perused through it seeing what Lego has been up to. At that point I was out of the Lego world for quite a while. As I was flipping through the pages I came to the Modular House page. Grand Emporium, Fire Brigade, and Green Grocer staring me in the face, but the Grand Emporium just stood out so much! Went back to my desk and ordered it immediately! Its been all uphill (well downhill for my bank account haha) since then.

Back to the topic at hand here. A while back when TRU did its B2G1 90% off deal, one of the sets I picked up was my 2nd Grand Emporium. I had a vision to combine them and make a bigger building. Between Bricklinking other sets that i have missed and other things going on in my life I never had time....until now.

No pictures of the inside yet; I have yet to fill it with details. I added a 2nd set of windows to the roof (I know there are blue 1x1 clips in there, I do not have any in black! Will be making a BrickLink order asap!)

What does everyone think? Comments/Criticism are all welcome!
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    @adello25 - Unfortunately your pics failed to move when your thread was merged here. Please feel free to repost.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    The first and biggest problem that must be corrected with the Grand Emporium is the escalator, namely the lack of a second one for traveling the other direction. ;-)

Did you incorporate a second in the design?
    Here is another creation I finished a few days ago. I know, red and blue:)! Dark red and sand blue were the only colors on the PAB wall. Any thoughts?
    Here are some more photos.
    dejavu
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 772
    Thanks forrest sharing Matt. Beautiful mocs.

I think the blue you used is medium blue, not sand blue.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    I'm loving all these pictures, there's some great work! And I really like the idea of doing a whole new design just from one set's bricks!
    (reposting with pictures)
    I love the Grand Emporium. That is the reason I came out of my dark ages. Quick little story for ya...started a new job in Oct 2010 and found out my boss was a HUGE lego fan. She had a catalog with her so I just perused through it seeing what Lego has been up to. At that point I was out of the Lego world for quite a while. As I was flipping through the pages I came to the Modular House page. Grand Emporium, Fire Brigade, and Green Grocer staring me in the face, but the Grand Emporium just stood out so much! Went back to my desk and ordered it immediately! Its been all uphill (well downhill for my bank account haha) since then.

Back to the topic at hand here. A while back when TRU did its B2G1 90% off deal, one of the sets I picked up was my 2nd Grand Emporium. I had a vision to combine them and make a bigger building. Between Bricklinking other sets that i have missed and other things going on in my life I never had time....until now.

No pictures of the inside yet; I have yet to fill it with details. I added a 2nd set of windows to the roof (I know there are blue 1x1 clips in there, I do not have any in black! Will be making a BrickLink order asap!)

GE1.jpg 370.7K
    GE2.jpg 354.2K
    GE3.jpg 304.5K
    GE4.jpg 323.3K
    The first and biggest problem that must be corrected with the Grand Emporium is the escalator, namely the lack of a second one for traveling the other direction. ;-)

Did you incorporate a second in the design?
    AHHHH no I did not. I thought about it but thought that it might take up too much room. But I may revisit that.
  • JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    @Savage_Steel Back in the fall, when the debate was going on about the FB Eol. Someone posted photos of a townhouse (?) built with just the parts from Fb. It was excellent. I can't locate it. :-(
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    edited March 2012
    I seem to recall that @rocao had posted some pics of a library made from the FB parts (plus some 2x2 tiles and other easily available PaB items if I remember rightly?).
    ^ I think your right. :-)
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    ^^ it's in this thread, posted August 2011. I'm working on my husband to let me tear apart his FB.
    ^ Thanks, Good luck with that.
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    ^ Thanks. Do you think he'll notice if it mysteriously disappears?
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,315
    ^ interesting pics AFTER the Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium.
  • parkerwilsonparkerwilson Member Posts: 142
    Was thinking the same thing :)
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,912
    ^Haha. Yes, I was too.

Back on topic, anyone attempt to modify the flag on the Fire Brigade? I would like to build a simple Canadian flag that is in the same scale as the American flag on the FB. Any thoughts or suggestions?
  • brickprobrickpro Member Posts: 2
    Hi Guys:
    I love custom modulars. I just finished a new site with lots of designs.
    http://www.brickbuilderspro.com/product_images/e/956/Example5__91229_zoom.jpg

http://www.brickbuilderspro.com/product_images/e/119/Example2__71157_zoom.jpg

You can check that stuff out at my site www.brickbuilderspro.com (shameless plug)
    I used to design just for me now I do so for others. I really would love feed back on future designs if anyone is interested.
    Cheers!

• mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 843
    I brickpro - I've seen your modulars on your site and also your MOCs on some other sites, some really nice designs you have!

What would be really useful is if in your summary for each product that people can look at pre-buying, there could be some sort of indication of piece count and potential (estimated) cost of the bricks that may be needed? I know that quite a few people have bought these sorts of instructions (not necessarily yours) for stuff only to find that ultimately the cost of actually building it for real is somewhat prohibitive!
  • startron5startron5 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2012
    Cool

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,248
    The mario on the side of that game shop is awesome. Whatever building gets put next to that needs an alley so that can still be seen.
    This is my first MOC bulding in modular fashion. I was looking for a way to use all the 1x4 arches, brown windows with gold screens, and those 2x2x2 dk gray boxes. I ended up deciding to do a church since that probably is something LEGO won't ever do. I still have some detail to go back and add, I didnt put the sidewalk tiles in yet, havent figured out what I want to put in the lower level, and need to create some color designs for the stainglass windows since it is just all one color right now. Also it doesnt have the "modular" side snaps as I don't really need them for my town setup and I'm thinking this will be more standalone anyway.

• jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    @graphite That is gorgeous!!!!
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    I love the organ and use of the large wooden entrance.
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,315
    You are very talented to make a modular like that Graphite!
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    great design.
    Id like to see a really big stained glass window as well - have seen mocs with those and they look gorgeous :)
    Dont forget the PF lights inside too
    That organ is great.
    Are those PA speakers stacked on the ground floor? That'll be some rockin church!
    ^ lol. They're supposed to be columns. I wanted to find something to do with all the cargo boxes I got in my grab bags.
  • cynthilinacynthilina Member Posts: 188
    well I guess I will have to post some drawings of my modular. I am doing a series of mid evil modular, right now working on the wall module and the tower. I figure from their I can make houses etc.. etc...
  • PlaugePlauge Member Posts: 39
    edited April 2012
    Hi all! Just started designing my first modular. It´s supposed to be a pizza restaurant and I feel I´m pretty much done with the ground floor. Wat´s missing is the tables and chairs, 1st floor will most likely also be a restaurant following the stairs. I have taken my inspiration from other moc´s and the pet-store modular. I´m trying to use bricks that are easy to come by, planning to use the 5771 villa as a base for the white bricks and doors.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    edited April 2012
    @Plauge - Please remember our Forum guidelines on MOC discussions:

MOC discussions are indeed welcome here so long as they bring value and foster discussion. However, threads created to simply publicize or showcase your own or even someone else's MOCs are not. While there is some grey area in the above distinction, final determinations will be entirely at the staff's discretion.

As such, I've moved your "1st MOC" discussion here (see above) to help spark discussion on your design/building techniques/etc. Thanks!

simply publicize or showcase your own or even someone else's MOCs are not.
    Does that guideline refer only to new threads? I'm assuming continued posts along that line are allowed in this thread as it seems that is what it was for? Just wanted to check because if it technically wasn't allowed in this thread then I violated that as well but hadn't see it.

• PlaugePlauge Member Posts: 39
    @Plauge - Please remember our Forum guidelines on MOC discussions:

MOC discussions are indeed welcome here so long as they bring value and foster discussion. However, threads created to simply publicize or showcase your own or even someone else's MOCs are not. While there is some grey area in the above distinction, final determinations will be entirely at the staff's discretion.

As such, I've moved your "1st MOC" discussion here (see above) to help spark discussion on your design/building techniques/etc. Thanks!
    Hi, thanks for the move and clarification.

It was intended for discussions, hopefully get a tip or two. I assumed (I know, my wife says I should not..) that was the intention of posting the building & techniques forum.

KingSlayer33
    Back on topic, just wanted to say @Plague, that is a wonderful modular. Love the colors you used, especially the tile floor and outside awnings. The little "Pizza shop" area is really nice is well and I love all the little details. Staircase is nice as well, love how it wraps around. Just a thought, but have you considered putting in some tables on that main floor?