Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Modular Custom Designs

Comments

• princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    Hob,
    Link works fine. Just as I clicked it my boss came round behind me so not had a chance to check it out, but will do shortly.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    edited June 2011
    Just as I clicked it my boss came round behind me so not had a chance to check it out, but will do shortly.
    ;-)
    Hob, good start. Think it could do with some additional 'decoration' and the chimney down the back looks a bit ugly (suppose chimneys are pretty ugly though :) ).
    Really like the stairs to the front door and the railings. The canopies are nice too.
    Is the main structure Dark Grey? May look a little bland in real bricks.
    Roof is nice and I like the idea of the loft windows.
    Just my first impressions from the 5 mins i have had to look at it.
    Hope my comments dont come over as too critical. Bottom line I would be pretty darn happy to have come up with that. My 'modular house' currently only consists of around 20 bricks :)
  • HobHob My Lego houseMember Posts: 223
    Hi there,

I started in black and kind of got carried away. I find some of colours limiting, like the plates etc. The chimney was a bit hit and miss, wasn't really sure where it was going. The inside fire places match with it so was kind of trying to go for a bit of realism.

Inside there is a basement with stairs going down and a bed in the bedroom. Plus 2 fire places with mantles. The floors seperate as well so easy access.

I'll try and post some with bricks missing so you can see more.

As my first go i knid of like it but the balck does seem a bit too much. Trying one is brown now.

Don't mind critisim as long as it constructive.

Thank you.
  • HobHob My Lego houseMember Posts: 223
    Added more pics some with the bricks missing so you can see inside.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    @Hob - looking good, I'm liking the balconied front idea, very nice.

I highly recommend just getting some bricks out, regardless of the colour, and just testing ideas out before you buy a stackload on bricklink. Will save you a ton of money doing rethinks later.
  • georgebjonesgeorgebjones Member Posts: 224
    @Hob - nice design. I would agree that it might display better in other colors. But I do like the design of the front balcony and stairs. The back chimney, I like. I have never seen a slanted chimney before, so I think it is rather unique. Good job.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,383
    Well done, @Hob - link works fine, and not a bad first try with LDD. It'd probably cost a fair bit less to source the parts via Bricklink rather than LEGO I suspect.
  • stephenvwstephenvw Lexington, KYMember Posts: 89
    edited June 2011
    Here's one of my custom modular buildings. Tell me what you think! BTW, it's a theater with fully furnished interior!
  • NicksBricksNicksBricks United StatesMember Posts: 215
    Here's one of my custom modular buildings. Tell me what you think! BTW, it's a theater with fully furnished interior!
    I'd like to see pictures of the inside. The outside looks cool. You should somehow incorporate a sign that says "Theater".

Nice.
    What are the pointed arch things on the ground floor?
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    I'd say the arches are just architectural styling, and the areas under them are wear the movie posters would be displayed.
  • StevenAshbyStevenAshby Member Posts: 155
    Well ive made one :), Its a Cinema with one floor as the lobby one floor as the cinema itsself and one floor as a film museum,

Outside i will add some minifigs there will be two people on the red carpet which i will use a Princess leia head on a girly dress minifig and a obi wan or luke skywalker head on a black tie suit minifig body with a few guys with cameras to make it look like the star wars premier. i have bought the lego starwars heros sticker book, this i will use stickers out of to go on the cinema screen and the large black bill board on the front of the building, then in the display cabinets downstairs will be some storm troopers and upstairs will be various film related minifigs (Batman, Spiderman, Harry Potter and Toy Story) with black heads to imply there costumes only. will also then just add a few minifigs watching the film and walking the displays and a couple of minifigs for staff.

Hope people like for a first attempt im very happy :)

^ Really nice, love that you have put so much thought into the 'display' of it.
    Like the idea of a premier and the museum with costumes.

Make sure you post photos once its complete :)
  • stephenvwstephenvw Lexington, KYMember Posts: 89
    Here are some interior pics of my theater.

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    ^ man, that is great, love the curtains. Great job.
    Not sure what is showing at the moment, but by the lack of minifig's it could well be the new POTC movie :)
    I dare someone to make a slot you can put a smartphone into where the screen goes and have a real film playing1
  • Bluefox1966Bluefox1966 UKMember Posts: 360
    Here's my first attempt inspired by @drdavewatford . I haven't sorted out the interior yet I can't decide what to shop fit it with yet. Any Ideas welcome.

More images here http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    002.JPG 318.7K
    006.JPG 330.5K
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    ^^^^ @stephenvw - that is fantastic!

• bzcatbzcat Member Posts: 9
    @ Dr Dave (or anyone who has purchased sets they designed)

While you can design something in LDD with any bricks you want, it appears that if you want to purchase your design, you are limited in only a few colors and significantly restricted set of bricks. As a result, I find LDD frustrating to use because evidently, I keep using bricks that are not available for sale!

I wonder if there is a way to toggle the brick selection in LDD to only those that are available for sale?
    ^ Design By Me mode only uses buyable bricks. That is the default mode, so which are you using?
    ^ I must be doing something wrong then... I keep getting the message: "if you use this brick, you will not be able to upload or price it out" or something to that effect.
    Have you got the latest version?
    I download it 3 weeks ago so I assume it is the latest version
    Does it look like this?
    If yes, then I'm afraid I can't help you further, I would suggest contacting Lego. If no, and it is another colour instead of green, do 'View - New Themes - Design By Me'
    And you should be OK.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,183
    edited July 2011
    this might help:
    http://amodularlife.wordpress.com/2010/06/12/modular-standards-for-lego-city-buildings/
    In addition to sidewalk standard....
    ^ Yes, not sure where they get their "Pavement standard is 7 studs + 1 stud curb" actually - the measurements I took 3 posts up were directly from the models and all were 6 studs + 1 stud curb i.e. 7 studs total. Not sure if the later modulars widened the pavement by a stud or if their measurement is out by 1 stud. Not that it would matter much though in the final model!
    There is a standard for placement of the storm drain (silver grill) at the 7th stud every half block (32x16) on the row adjacent to the curb. (i.e. 2 storm drains per 32 length of sidewalk, 4 storms drains for corner lots). Also every block (32x32) seems to have a light post placed adjacent to the curb.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    edited August 2011
    I just completed a modular library for the LUG Showcase display at our local LEGO store.

The goal was to restrict the build as much as possible to elements from 10197 Fire Brigade and Pick-A-Brick to demonstrate that MOCs didn't necessarily require extensive collections of hard to find bricks and hopefully remove the subsequent intimidating feeling expressed to me by casual fans. The end result was about 90% of the elements coming from those two sources, and the bulk of the foreign bricks were common 2x2 plates that were used as books. Though there were times I knew an off-limit piece would be better suited for the task, it was more than made up for by not having to endlessly deliberate on the "perfect" solution.

Full photo set available at:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157627487833942/detail/

EKSam
    ^ That's lovely, Roland - particularly the upper floor. Though why you felt the need to make your life more difficult than it needed to be by limiting yourself to bricks from common sources I don't know..... ;-) Nice job, anyway.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,727
    @rocao - simply brilliant. Again, the top floor does it for me. Love the bookshelves.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    edited August 2011
    ^^ Since it was designated for the LUG Showcase, I thought the cross-promotion for the currently available 10197 Fire Brigade and PaB might be appreciated. The store employees frequently get inquiries on whether the LUG models are available as a set for purchase. This way, they can point to something rather than saying "no".

Also, the part limitation was often consistent with the design approach of the modular series to brick-build rather than use more specialized pieces: brick-built chairs and stools, plates instead of LEGO books, etc.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,100
    edited August 2011
    Very nice theatre/cinema design Rocao (and all)!!

Besides LEGO (and architecture in general), one of my great passions is old 1920s movie theatres... known in the USA as movie palaces. These were built in the 1920 all across America.

Anyway, Detroit architect C. Howard Crane was probably the most prolific theatre architect of the era, designing 250 USA theatres before 1930... when theatre commissions in the USA dried up due to the Great Depression. So in 1930 he moved to London, where in the 1930s and 1940s he continued to design cinemas across Britain (he died and is buried there in 1952). His most famous UK commission was however London's famous (1937 built Art Moderne style) Earls Court Exhibition Center... which will be used for the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.

But C. Howard Crane is most famous for his Fox Theatre masterpieces in Detroit (the larger theatre) and St. Louis. The Detroit Fox is an absurdly spacious theatre (5,174 seats) that is the 2nd largest in the US of that era, after Radio City Music Hall. Local LEGO architect Jim Garrett (of Detroit) took some images of what one visitor called "an architectural orgasm".... (with so much to look at, it's a mystery that anyone had time to watch the movie!!)...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/decojim/sets/72157613321779727/with/2749886221/

Deco Jim as Jim Garrett is known locally has spent tens of thousands of dollars building many of the Art Deco masterpieces of 1920s Detroit.... and other buildings around the world in LEGO...

http://www.mocpages.com/mocs.php?id=1287
  • tdhbrtdhbr Member Posts: 188
    I've been working on a companion for the modular buildings in my town. In most city blocks there are buildings that take a back seat to their fancy friends, so I intentionally tried to keep mine just a little plainer, but with enough detail to keep it interesting. I managed to make the whole thing from my collection (didn't have to steal too much from the kids) ... but as you can see on the upper left, I ran out of white bricks. I think I'll add a crane there, so it looks like it's still under construction.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,897
    ^ nice build. But what's going on with the dragon??
    edited September 2011
    very nice! love the first 2 floors, maybe on the 3rd floor you could set the windows in by 1 brick and maybe add flower boxes a la pet shop set, would be a nice simple touch to break up the otherwise flat face. Like the overall simple look - it looks better than I would have thought in white - great way to use up all those white bricks and offsets the richly coloured modulars nicely. Youre right - it's all about contrast.
    ^ nice build. But what's going on with the dragon??
    My 7-year-old stretched chains across the road between the buildings ... and managed to catch the rogue ice dragon that was terrorizing the town.

@Si - thanks for the suggestion about the windows. I may try that when I have a chance.
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    ^^^^ Nice build indeed! I actually like the 'simplicity' of the windows on the third floor. ;o)
    ^ I agree. Really like the clean and minimalistic look. Nice job @tdhbr
  • DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 338
    Here is my first attempt at a custom modular build. I designed it to fit in with the street, but (at the moment) it is only one floor. I built in a backroom area to put a staircase if I decide to build upward.

Brickley’s is shop specializing in premium name-brand building block toys and related merchandise. Aside from the merchandise for sale, there is a Grab-a-Block wall, where customers purchase quantity of the types and colors available. There is also a kiosk where customers can mix and match parts to create their own custom minifigure. ;)
    ...and just in case I wasn't descriptive enough, here is what the interior of the shop looks like...
  • RobbRobb Member Posts: 144
    I think the pick-a-brick wall looks fantastic. I'd love to see a better shot of it.
    Happy to oblige...
    dejavu
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    I LOVE this! Very well done. Definitely got the lego humour to it. The 'lifesize' model is ace
    Thanks for the feedback! I wasn't sure about how the lifesize model would look just standing on an open pedestal, so went with the rotating display case. I may swap Buzz out with Harry Potter or a Stormtrooper periodically.

For the second floor, I'm still trying to think of a good idea to go with. I don't want to do an empty second floor like some of the real modulars. I've been considering something like a MOC Museum using microbuilds, but my success on these has been limited. I guess could put a couple of the mini modulars in there, but would hate to "waste" them like that. Are there any good microbuild model guides available? Thanks
    My younger son likes to use the tiny pieces to make things. Here's a micro "Hogwarts Express" he did when he was 6. Maybe if several people contribute designs, it really would be a museum.
  • brickingbricking LAMember Posts: 57
    I hope this isn't considered off-topic, but are the modular sets intended to be British buildings. Or is it just my prejudice that I consider them to be British. Maybe Lego just did a really good job of making them feel familiar to as many as possible.
  • brickingbricking LAMember Posts: 57
    Probably like many of you, I've been thinking about minifig scale. I know it's not an exact science but my best bet is 1 stud (8mm) equals 1foot (300mm) which makes 1:37.5 or 1:38.1 if you go metric or imperial respectively. I find it interesting that the standard module size of 16 studs would be about equal to a pole (perch or rod, which is 16.5 ft) which has been a standard (of sorts) for building design for hundreds of years in Britain.

Anyway it's pretty obvious from tdhbr's town scene that the old road plates designed for 4stud-wide cars look a bit daft for the 6stud fire truck. Let alone 7213! My suggestion would be a road of 24 studs. But this would leave 4 studs each side on a 32x32 base which basically means an empty base. Maybe apart from a couple of lampposts it would just be a spacer between the buildings.
    edited October 2011
    @bricking .. Id say that the fire brigade with the US flag is meant to be in the USA ;) ... and to me, cafe corner looks french, market street looks dutch, emporium looks american, and pet shop and greengrocer look british. I guess all these architectural styles influenced each other anyway in the real world, so you could expect to see similar buildings to any of them in, say, London or Paris.
    edited October 2011
    Since the upcoming modular is rumoured to be a Town or City Hall, I thought I might upload these pictures of a moc a friend provided me instructions for three or four months ago. Neither of us have ordered the parts for it, but we should probably hold off now - hey Prince?

It will be interesting to see how similar the official set will be. Not very I'd imagine since this one contains 6,927 pieces!
    edited October 2011
    ^ LOL ! That building was at STEAM - didn't you see it ?! Photographic evidence attached below (click to enlarge)....

Lol. Just noticed it's in one of my photos as well! Doh!

So the moc at STEAM wasn't an original idea? Or maybe it was and somebody was able to produce the instructions from a previous display photo? Clever.