Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

#8043 Motorised Excavator - To buy or not to buy...

BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,453
edited January 2013 in Collecting
Since coming out of a 30 year dark age at Christmas, I've got a bit nuts with the Technic stuff (plus an impulse purchase UCS IS on Friday night from Amazon in the US).

Having spent about £400 in a fortnight, I think I'd be pushing my luck with my dear wife, to bring anything into the house bigger than a minifig, for a month or two at least.

Trouble is, I was out earlier and came past our local TRU, so thought 'might as well just have a look - haven't been in there for years', and discovered the #8043 Motorised Excavator at £142.99.

Thought 'that's going on my "to buy" list', and have just come home to find that it was discontinued (in the UK at least) in December.

So the dilemma. Looking at the reviews, it sounds like an outstanding set. Do I risk waiting a while and hoping they don't sell out in the next 6 weeks (I reckon I could get away with waiting until March payday), or do I grab it now?

Is it all it's cracked up to be?

If it's relevant, I do already own the #42006 Excavator. Worth getting both?

Decisions, decisions...

Comments

• cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    edited January 2013
    I think the 8043 set is awesome and if I didn't have it (I do) I would get it now before it goes up in price (which it will definitely do). It could easily be double RRP the end of this year. Just check eBay on #8053 to see how much a nice Technic set shoots up in price after it is retired. And, the crane is not anywhere near as nice as the excavator. It already has the power functions!

One thing, if you buy it you should know that there was a problem with some of the parts. Sort of like a recall. So, just call LEGO, tell them you got the set and ask if it has the upgraded pneumatic parts. If not, they will mail the upgrade kit to you.

I would get 8043 regardless of whether I had 42006 or not, but that's just me. Both sets are excavators, but that's where the comparisons end.

And, neat user name. Boo :-)
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,453
    Thanks for the reply! I'll bear your comment in mind if I pick it up.
    Cheers.
  • JamesJTJamesJT Member Posts: 440
    8043s are selling for £200+ ebay UK. You could get a used one for £140ish. The gearbox that lets 4 motor perform 6 tasks is excellent. You also get plenty of PF parts and a large scoop to modify the 42006.
  • BuzzsawBuzzsaw UKMember Posts: 79
    I say get it.
    I picked mine up for christmas when I heard it was going, and I'm very glad I did. It's a lovely build, looks amazing, and its fun to drive around! I must remember to try it out in the snow...
  • turtle1173turtle1173 Member Posts: 230
    Yep, I've never put together such an awesome and frustrating set before! We got this for Christmas. Had some trouble with the gearbox. Took it back apart and when we built it again, everything worked. It really is an incredible set. It has like 72 gears in it. Just a crazy impressive design, IMO. I'd say "buy it!"
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited January 2013
    I have #8043 and found it to be an awesome set. That said, if funds were limited, I wonder if #42006 might suffice? I know it can be motorized, but it doesn't look like the treads can be easily motorized.

Another choice might be to build #8043 and then sell it to more or less break even. And another choice might be to buy it from Amazon.de for 168 Euro currently (cheaper than £143). Of course, I'm not sure if Amazon.de will ship to UK folks...
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    To echo the comments made above, if you want to get it at RRP or close to, you should buy it now from Toys R Us. Although buying from continental European Amazons can often get bargains, in this case, once shipping has been added and there's been a credit card currency conversion, you'll be lucky to save much money at all. And you can avoid receiving a bashed-up box or can more readily resolve the problem if this does happen.
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    I think it is one of the best technic sets ever.
    at 145£ it is a bargain. grab it while you can!
    fun build and fun playability as well.
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,453
    Popped into TRU at lunchtime to mull it over.
    They only had two left.

And now they've only got one left!
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    Good luck taking our thoughts above and turning them into a coherent and persuasive argument to present to your wife.
    edited January 2013
    /bangs head against wall

Just found that John Lewis have some #8043 s in stock. Which means I could buy it with staff discount.

I guess I could buy one for me (not allowed to resell anything that I buy with discount) and sell the TRU one at some point.

Wonder if I could return the other one? Anybody know what TRU's returns policy is like? It's still sealed and in perfect condition, and I have the receipt. Will they take things back if you just don't want them any more, or does there have to be something wrong with it.
  • SoluzarSoluzar Member Posts: 4
    If you don't mind me asking, was this TRU in Sheffield, by any chance? I felt like I had hit the jackpot when I found the 8043 set in TRU at RRP. I've only recently rediscovered my love for LEGO and Technic in particular... so when I found out about this set, I though I had already missed out on it.

They had one left, as you say. They now have none left. I'm a bit surprised that John Lewis still have 8043 sets left. It seems quite sought after, and is already a bit inflated in price on ebay.
    It was TRU in Enfield, North London, and John Lewis on Oxford St.
  • SoluzarSoluzar Member Posts: 4
    I wonder how many other stores still might have the odd one in stock... I was shocked that I found a discontinued set on the shelves. It was somewhat concealed, behind other, unrelated sets. I did wonder if someone had attempted to hide it so that they could come back for it later. If so... sorry I foiled your plans. Heh.