Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

First attempts at stop motion builds...

BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,328
I thought I'd like to try a stop motion build of the #8070 Supercar that Mrs Boo bought me for Christmas, but realising that :

a) I haven't built any Lego in 30 years, and
b) I've never made a stop motion video before.

I figured I'd start with something smaller.

Presenting...

Build of 9390 Mini Tow Truck.

And...

Alternate build of same model.

They need a bit of work. Focussing, lighting etc, but good fun.

Comments

• tfranklin84tfranklin84 Member Posts: 103
    Looks good to me. I have a totally newb, mock-worthy question. What is the basic process for making a stop motion video? Lots of photographs...I assume.
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,328
    I did a bit of googling and then basically plunged in!

Set up a camera (I use a DSLR, but people use anything from a mobile phone on up).
    Ideally put it on a tripod so the camera doesn't move.

Put some pieces on the table, take a photo.
    Move the pieces slightly, take another photo.
    Repeat until you've finished building or whatever you're doing.

At that point, I imported them into iPhoto, then created a new project in iMovie.
    Imported all the photos from iPhoto into the iMovie project.
    Set the elapsed time for each photo to 0.4 seconds, and broadly speaking, that's it.

I messed around, added some titles and effects etc, but that's the basic principle.

You'll find some pretty good threads on the subject within the Photography section of the Brickset forum, and youtube has plenty of basic guides too.

Good luck!
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,339
    Aw yes... Nice to see a LEGO minifigure get some screen time in that second video.

Very well done, and I already see vast improvement in that second one compared to the first!

You'll be rolling out top notch stop motion videos in no time! Good work!
  • tfranklin84tfranklin84 Member Posts: 103
    Thanks for the tips, Boo! How rude of me to not reply sooner. I can imagine it becoming fairly addicting making stop motion films...sounds fun.