Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Massive USPS Postage Increases for International Buyers - 27 Jan 2013

2»

Comments

• BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,258
    Ah, yes. Import duties. Forgot all about those. As I'm sure many others would like to.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,420
    edited February 2013
    Im just miffed about the Parcel Post going away to be replaced with Select parcel or whatever they call it now.. basically a nice way to raise prices without telling people you are raising prices..
    Never mind the fact that the USPS apparently does not have it together enough to at least ensure this new service to replace Parcel post would have been available electronically for USPS.com and eBay the day they got rid of Parcel post.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    ^Parcel Post wasn't purchasable via USPS.com to begin with, and eBay is always absurdly slow to adopt any carrier's new policies. The whole Parcel Select rebranding is pretty odd, though.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    They renamed delivery confirmation to I think 'Postal tracking'. The thing that messed me up the most was the change to the self serve machines not printing the small postage stickers (1.5"x1") when you already have the delivery confirmation on the package. It makes you take it to the counter. I don't mind not having to put the delivery confirmation thing on their separately but the like 6"x4" sticker it prints is a little overkill and barely fits on the smaller padded envelopes I use to ship small parts orders. Once I run out of them I'm going to have to stick to the larger ones I use for all orders.
  • benfoldsrockbenfoldsrock Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

I don't know if this is effecting sellers here but just sold some things today and realize that first class mail international had increase to 6.16 for just 2 oz. omg. It was only 3 or 3ish before January. This is outrageous. If I sell a minifigures. It really cuts down on the profits. Anyone finding this annoying?

Are heavier items getting cheaper?
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,413
    edited February 2013
    @benfoldsrock-
    There's already a lot of informative discussion on this topic here:

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/155892/#Comment_155892

I hope that helps and I do have to agree, it is quite annoying!
  • benfoldsrockbenfoldsrock Member Posts: 8
    Thank you for the thread. The postage is more then the minifigures lol
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    For me, it will be much easier to tell what impact this is having on international sales when we get closer to the holidays. But again, it likely will have a greater effect on parts sellers, as the increase in price for options that aren't First Class is relatively negligible.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Personally I'm very sad to say that I won't be buying from any of my list of (awesome) US bricklink sellers again, as it's no longer cost-effective to order under the duty threshhold (as @CCC has said). I'm afraid that my only orders from the US will be for very large AND rare items, and to be honest I can't think of anything that I couldn't get cheaper elsewhere once duty's taken into account.

Such a shame, because the choice of BL sellers just effectively halved overnight, and customer service is so much better in the US than mainland Europe.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,180
    edited February 2013
    ^ Yes it's a shame, I haven't placed a US order since the price increase. In fact, I haven't placed a non-EU order since I now just strip out any sellers that are outside the EU. That is one of the problems with bricklink. UK users can restrict sellers to UK (or any other country), or Eu, or all worldwide. So the US postal increases will impact on my purchases from everyone outside the EU, not just US sellers.

Although I have to say that I have received decent customer service from UK and EU sellers too, not just US ones!
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited February 2013
    Just to qualify, what I mean is that there are many great BL sellers across the world, but the only customer service issues I've ever had were with a handful of mainland Europe sellers (and I've heard similar experiences from others), whereas I've found the US to be consistently very good.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,676
    Part of the part increase, I read about a better tracking. It worked right of the gate for Canada, but now I just noticed it is working for Australia. The custom form, can be used as a tracking number and shows the date and time the item is delivered (before, tracking stopped after package left the US).