Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What can we expect from 7879 Hoth Echo Base?

SapmiSatanSapmiSatan Member Posts: 106
edited March 2011 in Everything else LEGO
As a Norwegian it is my duty, as a patriot, to collect the Hoth sets. At least partly, I mean, it is one of the, if not THE, coolest planet in the Star Wars universe. My Hoth collection began with 4504 Millennium Falcon, which was slightly Hoth based, since then I've gotten every Hoth set, with 10178 Motorised Walking AT-AT as the only exception. In my opinion my Hoth-scene was as complete as it could be, with last years AT-AT and Wampa Cave, but, alas, they've decided to release yet another Hoth set. It is entitled Hoth Echo Base, combining the previously released Hoth Rebel Base and Echo Base, my question is: Will it be the biggest, best, most film-accurate Echo Base to date? In that case I will have to buy it. If it's yet another tiny trench and turret, I'll probably still buy it, but I won't be as pleased. If it's a copy of the old Hoth Rebel Base, I will have a dillemma on my hands...

Let's take a look at what elements they haven't brought us yet, through their previous Hoth sets: The BACTA-tank, where Luke is restituted after the wampa-attack. This would be an interesting addition. With the BACTA-tank, those who didn't get Emperor Palpatine's Shuttle will have a chance to get the 2-1B Medical Droid, a big plus in my book. We could get General Carlist Rieekan, even though he wasn't hard to MOC after they released the officer uniforms last year. What more is there? It will be a chance to get the new, dotted-eyes, dark haired Leia figure, and... What more? The only thing I can think of would be the ION-cannon, and that thing is HUGE! What do you think? What additions could this set possibly come up with?

Actually... There is one thing... Dare I say it? Dare I hope for... THE GHOST OF OBI-WAN "BEN" KENOBI? I can't think of any other set to put him in... He would probably be cape-less, unless it's plastic... I'd say it's possible, they did it in LEGO Star Wars II... Well, I'm excited to hear your thoughts on this, in my opinion, very important topic.

Comments

• natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    I too have been looking forward to this set. I have several hoth sets - Motorized AT-AT, Echo Base, Wampa Cave, both battle packs, but I never got the original Hoth Rebel Base. I believe that there is a difference between the Echo Base and this, as the Echo Base is more of the outpost turrets and rebel fighters who are fighting at AT-AT's, whereas the Rebel Base (at least the original) was the actual base built into the mountain with the big opening hangar doors. I'm curious what minifigs will be included, what interesting new pieces there might be, and if they choose to make this an EPIC set (which it totally could be if they wanted it to) or more of what the first Hoth Rebel Base was...ok, but nothing special.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    I'm glad we haven't yet seen the set as it's still possible to be anything and everything we want. So, I hope it's 1000+ pieces and includes the ion cannon, bacta tank, and crumbling command center and hallways. :o) Even better would be if it comes with a Rebel Troop Transport as that is one of my all-time favorite ships.
  • SapmiSatanSapmiSatan Member Posts: 106
    I'm afraid I can't imagine the Rebel Troop Transport being included, it hasn't got a very interesting design. I'm sorry, considering it's one of your favorites, but I think you see my point. It's rather big, without any particularly interesting details.
    If they can make 2 "blah" A-Wings, they can get me 1 "super awesome" Troop Transport. :o)
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    I'm very excited about this set, especially with the lack OT sets so far this year. I'm hoping a large play set along the lines of Battle of Endor, but you know, bigger!
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,377
    Why do I get the feeling it'll be a Hoth version of Home 1...........

:-)
    As long as it's not the Hoth Forbidden Forest...
    I wouldn't mind if it was a Hoth version of Home 1, I mean, that's excactly what we need! The hangar-door was fine, perhaps a little small, in Hoth Rebel Base, but the interior was extremely lacking... In fact, Hoth-Home 1 sounds like the perfect way to make this set.
    I wouldn't mind if it was a Hoth version of Home 1, I mean, that's excactly what we need! The hangar-door was fine, perhaps a little small, in Hoth Rebel Base, but the interior was extremely lacking... In fact, Hoth-Home 1 sounds like the perfect way to make this set.
    Judging by the sales and popularity of Home 1 I suspect the majority wouldn't agree with you on that !

edited March 2011
    Personally I didn't buy Home 1, because, well... It's just a part of a ship... It's not the entire ship, it's only some selected parts of it. I suppose that's fine, as it contains everything we see in the film, but to me, it didn't feel like a complete ship. With Hoth Echo Base, however, it's more like buying a part of Hogwarts, which feels a lot more natural, as it's ground based.
  • 50missioncap50missioncap Member Posts: 96
    edited April 2011
    I'm glad we haven't yet seen the set as it's still possible to be anything and everything we want. So, I hope it's 1000+ pieces and includes the ion cannon, bacta tank, and crumbling command center and hallways. :o) Even better would be if it comes with a Rebel Troop Transport as that is one of my all-time favorite ships.
    How sweet would that be? That is one of the best ships in the SW universe.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    edited April 2011
    I, for one, am rather disappointed that Lego is once again giving us a Hoth set so close on the heels of many others. Will we get a FIFTH snowspeeder? When I think of all the other possibilities for a large set (Cantina, new Cloud City, Jabba's palace, Ewok village, etc.) I really can't get very excited about another Hoth set which will likely contain duplicates of figures (slight variations only at best) that I just purchased a year or two back. Lego's Star Wars theme is suffering from redundancy and a lack of inspiration.
  • PaulTRPaulTR Member Posts: 115
    What I would like is for LEGO to stop making these little "scene" Star Wars sets: I want big, movie-accurate creations that are not halves of things (Home One=Big bummer, except the cool figs) and I don't want repeats of things (like people have said before me, another Snowspeeder?). It even makes more sense when you throw in the infamous 2008 price-hike: if I'm paying an arm and a leg for this "half-a-scene", why not pay using my whole body for the whole, accurate creation. Too often LEGO has simply used the excuse, "Oh, but look at the cool new figs!" Yeah, well, the old-school sets had new figs AND they were full creations.
  • JeffVaderJeffVader Member Posts: 1
    I am a big fan of the Hoth sets. I have Wompa Cave, Echo Base, Hoth Rebel Base, Battle Packs, Motorised Walking AT-AT and am looking forward to 7879. Hopefully an Ion Cannon or the base interior would be cool.
  • legoclonelegoclone Member Posts: 9
    Perhaps it will include the Echo Base medical bay thus enabling Lego fans to recreate one famous kiss that would be made quite awkward in retrospect after a certain revelation regarding the Skywalker family tree.
  • mrfootballmrfootball Member Posts: 84
    More Hoth please! My personal favorite theme. Would like to see an ION cannon playset...Generator playset...or perhaps a Hoth Rebel Base Control Room/Bacta tank playset.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    I would like them to add the Wampa room and a few Wampa's.
  • jb15jb15 Member Posts: 53
    edited May 2011
    They already did make a Ben's ghost figure:
    http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/173707

Mostly, I just wanted to add: why not make blue, transparent minifigs too? Full size holograms would be AWESOME! It's just a normal minifig, but it completely trans-blue...

What do y'all think?
    edited May 2011
    They didn't make a "Ben's ghost figure".

As for full-size holograms, we already got one in the Star Destroyer. It was a 2x1x5 brick printed with Palpatine's image.
    http://www.amazon.com/Emperor-Palpatine-Darth-Sidious-Hologram/dp/B003NMOPEE
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 810
    edited May 2011
    why not make blue, transparent minifigs too?
    I believe this isn't done because of the stress placed on the polycarbonate used for transparent pieces. I recall Jamie Berard showing us that when two transparent elements were used together, they have a tendency to "fuse" together (not really, just moreso than normal ABS), making them really hard to take apart or move.

Hence, I believe you're unlikely to see transparent minifigs, because it would mean their arm, hand, and leg joints would be remarkably stiff, and potentially too brittle.

However, LEGO has made some test molds of transparent minifigs (a friend of mine has a completely transparent minifig):
    http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=430696

But those are very rare-- that one was given to the owner a special gift from a LEGO employee.

DaveE
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 770
    Thanks for the cool pic!
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    I hope they go to the Battle of Endor size with the large hangar doors(more ice walls and detailed interior), large Ion Cannon and the Shield Generator. Mix of Snowtroopers and Hoth Rebels. Maybe add in too an AT-ST as well.
  • georgebjonesgeorgebjones Member Posts: 224
    ^ According to a user at eurobricks, they will be going the Battle of Endor size with 700-800 pieces. Take it at face value, but...
    http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44510&view=findpost&p=993746
  • xowainxxowainx United KingdomMember Posts: 112
    edited May 2011
    A poster with all the figures from this year just leaked, and all the figures he talked about (Red Protocol Droid, Bacta tank Luke etc) were on it, so i'd say his info was pretty legit. For those interested:
    http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jansued/diverses/2011-05-27_14.42.51.jpg
  • CephaserCephaser Member Posts: 18
    Lookin at that poster presumably the other new figures (dengar, imperial officer being strangled) are from the UCS super destroyer?
    edited May 2011
    So it appears it comes with Leia, Han, R2, 21B Medical Droid, Red C3PO, Vader, at least one Snowy, and Bacta Luke? And what was that weird goldish figure on the middle right?
  • georgebjonesgeorgebjones Member Posts: 224
    Seems like it will be a great set.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,869
    Weird goldfish? Isn't it Captain Panaka or whatever in a sort of running pose? (the naboo security chap).
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    Luke is on the first row, 5th from the left.

The figs look really awesome! I don't own any starwars sets really (a few from the 90s that are somewhere in the garage. ) but I've always wanted a snow trooper and Hoth is probably my favorite SW scene. The description of the set actually sounds kind of disappointing, (after all the possibilities people here kept bringing up!)

I'll have to see an actual picture to make up my mind.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    And now we have an answer: http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=1294

Thoughts?
    First impression ? Home One. And that's not necessarily a good thing........
    edited June 2011
    Ahhh...mixed for me. Wish they incorporated an Ion Cannon as the center/front section, then branching off left to right have white burps to make the ice walls and large Hangar Door on one side while the other has a Shield Generator with ice wall then within have that nice Bacta Tank with Luke and the Medical area. That's what I was hoping for anyways.
    Blech
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,380
    Need to see a bit more (different angles etc) to make my mind up, but it does look a little Home One-ish i agree. The medical bay looks great but the rest doesn't really looks like it fits together that well. Maybe it is more of a section from a larger base that we will never quite see, might link well with the other Hoth base sets but not sure yet. The figures do look nice though, esspecialy the Luke and Bacta Tank, so those elements alone might make it a worthwhile purchase.
    Well, my predictions pretty much came true. BACTA Tank and the new Leia, some of my more far-fetched dreams didn't happen, but that was expected. I'm glad I now get a chance to get the new hair for Luke without getting the Meh-llennium Falcon, and my old hangar door wasn't remade! This will go well in the back of my base, it leaves a lot of space open for snowspeeders and other rebel vehicles to land, in front of which, I'll put the hangar door. Despite some odd inclusions, radars and flick-fires, I think this will be a nice addition to my Echo Base, especially since it includes that extra tauntaun I never bothered to get.

What @legoDad suggests would have been nice, but probably a bit too large to actually make. We haven't seen the exterior side of the right side yet, though, there's a lot of dark grey on that wall, which might prove to be a very small shield generator...
  • pantenkindpantenkind Member Posts: 258
    I can see this being a good set to play with but myself being more of a "display" collector am not liking it much. I guess it will depend on what the other side looks like I guess. I was hoping for more of a hanger/ion cannon/shield generator set but I guess I can see where Lego wanted to go with this set. Good for some, bad for others.
    edited June 2011
    I hope what SapmiSatan says about a smaller Shield Generator on that opposite wall we can't see from the promo pic might be there. That would be cool.
    I'm diggin' this pic of Echo Base as a rough layout of what I've would've wanted from this set. Not so much those buildings in the background but roughly design offa' this...
  • TalasAntaresTalasAntares Member Posts: 124
    Meh color me unimpressed with the preliminary photo. Just doesn't look like a set I would buy, unless I found a stupendous deal on it. Not much of a minifig collector either...more for you guys! lol
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    First thoughts? 50% off clearance December 2013. Home-One all over again. 2 new cool figs (red protocol droid and luke in the bacta tank). I actually like the little med bay section...the rest not so good....just a mash up of echo base and the hoth battle pack and a few walls with missiles, radar dishes and a box thrown on for the hell of it.
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    I'm on the fence with this, on one hand I can see it being great for Kids, on the other hand the AFOLS out there will be disappointed for the most part as it is clearly lacking some key components from the movie not least the Ion cannon and shield generator. You can also bet the sides of the base we haven't seen yet won't be anything to write home about. Perhaps the missing elements will be in future hoth sets as a couple of others have mentioned. Just waiting now for the real disappoint which will be the price of course. Seems a similar size to BOE which was 85 GBP when released, when you consider the normal price hikes and the TRU/Limited edition status of this set further increasing the price, I can see this easily being 100GBP!! On a more positive note the new/redesigned minifigs are great and the elements that we do get in the base are well done.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    I'm squarely in the disappointed camp. Because of the secrecy, i was hoping they were going to include a new, _improved_ luke's X-wing (the back end of the current version is so ugly), along with bacta tank, corridors and the rest of the central command section during the evacuation scene. Unfortunately, this is clearly a Hoth 'Home One', with very little to warrant the (no doubt) £100 price tag it will likely have. Though, honestly, i can't price it above £30- and i'd still not buy it.

The only bit worth having is the Bacta Tank section, but that could have been made as a £10 modular set for what the rest of the set offers. I'll be passing on this... i mean, it's the echo base, and there are no rebel troopers!

:o)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,503
    I think one of the things we can expect, or could expect, is 'disappointment' from this set....
    I mean yeah, you get some nice pieces... but do you want to pay 75-100 USD for a few parts???
    I should not deride this set too much.. after seeing all of the sales on 7754 I am sure these will be found for cheaper than retail
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    yea this set looks horrible. Definately a play zone for kids, I will not be buying it. Funny how everyone refers to it as "Home One" ish, when I first saw home 1 I thought it looked awesome, mainly for the A-wing, and the figs, and came within an inch of buying it when it was 50% at a store, but then decided not to cause I don't collect SW. Well now that I look at home one I can see where its lacking, but it did look nice at first. This set looks horrible right off the bat.
    Some new pics are available on lego.wikia.com showing the features and sides of the base we were waiting for. As predicted nothing special and no mini shield generator or ion cannon as some had hoped.
    @sapmisatan you asked "what can we expect from 7879 hoth echo base" well you and the rest of us now have the answer, a kids playzone mess with no relation to the movie base that will seemingly cost an arm and a leg!

I, like so many others on this board, was very excited about this set and have been let down. Why oh why didn't they give us the other elements and make the set a little bigger. Oh well have to hope the ion cannon and shield generator appear in some more hoth sets in the future to complete the base, that would be something at least.
    The set is almost exactly what I imagined it would be though with slightly skimpier walls. It was said that it was going to run about the same as the Battle of Endor and that means all of the unrealistic expectations I saw regarding the set were just that - unrealistic.

Personally, I hope Hoth is done and finished. About the only thing that they could redo with it would be the scene with Han and Chewie when they destroy the probe droid. Even though I have the old Hoth base with the probe droid, I think the droid could stand some improvement in design. A simple $10-$20 set could cover that though.
    Originally (before I saw any pics)....I really thought it was gonna' be like the original Hoth Rebel Base (7666) with the large blast doors but add walls left and right w/Bacta Tank scene and a shield generator on one side of the walls. Interior would have the command center where Leia was and a corridor that would seem to lead to a small landing bay. They could've had a wall that comes apart so you have Snowtroopers come in with Vader too. But alas', I hope I don't come accross as a snob, but it kinda' looks like a hodge-podge mess.
    @bellybutton290 Ahhh, now I see more pics. it's to be opened full accross. Man, they missed a good spot right were that rock wall is. That's a good spot for the Shield Generator. Cover up that walk-way above with white Burp's and the whole right side make the large Blast Doors.
    Then you can have another set just dedicated to the Ion Cannon roughly around a $30-$40 set.
    Man...could've been great and still be playable for kids too.
    edited July 2011
    ...could've been great and still be playable for kids too.
    As I explained to a friend of mine who collects action figures, the beauty of Lego is that you can customize the product to your own specifications and are not confined to the exact look of the manufacturer. ;-)
    ^wow Prof1515...I never knew that...oy vey...