Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links to help keep the forum online: LEGO.com Amazon

Lego Train Advice for First Time Buyer

winter_zombiewinter_zombie Banned Posts: 54
edited June 2011 in Collecting
hi all

im thinking about buying my self a lego train set
the problem is im new to all this lego train stuff and dont understand most of it
ive beeb looking on the lego site and i notice their is only 2 sets that come complete ready to go !

ive been on ebay and found loads of lego train stuff but their seems to be different sorts, some use 4.5v batterys some use 9v batterys and some use a transformer. ive noticed that their is a lot of different track types too. i realy am lost and dont know what i should be looking at or what will work with what.

battery or transformer ?

i havent got a massive budget about £100 as this is going to be a on going thing over some years because as my little boy gets bigger il have a better excuse to buy more lol :)

so can you guys help me ??
the more advise the better as once i buy my train and track i plan to keep it and just add onto it.

Comments

• MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    This question has been asked and answered here before, but I can't find the thread right now. I'm sure someone with a few more minutes to spare can locate it for you.
  • winter_zombiewinter_zombie Banned Posts: 54
    Brillent thank you.
    i need all the advide and help i can get
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,360
    Not sure about another thread, but I just started with the trains last year (I deemed my daughter old enough to play with them - My wife nver really bought into that idea...).
    I started with the current passenger train and for £103 it gives you everything you need, a nice train, a few figures and a small station as well as the track. As it is a Power function train it will work on any track so that is good and the RC works really well, the only running cost is a few batteries every month or so, but you could always upgrade to the rechargable battery later. I found it a great starting place.
  • JohnnycogsJohnnycogs Member Posts: 68
    I would suggest if you can stretch to the current freight train set then grab it... it's not too unreasonably priced and will be getting replaced in august. I just think you get a little more bang for your buck with that set...... but thats just my opinion. I am just starting to collect trains too (hi, btw =) ) and am going for freight, then emerald night, then either passanger train or the Maersk, cash flow dependant of course!!!...
  • gold682gold682 UKMember Posts: 201
    I certainly would look at only the PF/RC trains at this stage. As mentioned before the Cargo train offers better value over the passanger train in terms of what you get (and looks in my opinion).
    You also then have the option to buy the non motorised trains such as Emerald and Maersk (and Santa Fe!) with a view to putting in some PF's!

Keep an eye on amazon as they recently discounted both the current train sets by 33% making the Cargo set very affordable.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited June 2011
    The current cargo train or passenger train would be your best bet - they both have loads of track and include the motor. The cargo train wins hands down for me, as it's got the crane and truck with it, and has lots of track including points (which you dont get with the passenger train). You might want to get a level crossing too, they're cheap.

This bricklist might help ..
    http://www.brickset.com/brickLists/?4855
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,349
    I dunno about the Cargo train being discontinued.. We have heard rumors of another Cargo train set, but Since the Cargo train just came out recently it would be suprising... To be sure Id say get one, BUT I will also say get a Emerald Night.. I think everyone is in agreement those will be gone end of year, at latest...
    hi all
    thanks for your views and advise it dose help me understand it a bit

can i ask
    can somebody explain the pros and cons of the different power functions?
    and whats the difference with the bendy lego track and normal lego track??? whats the pros and cons of that.

i realy do like the Maersk Train 10219 i just like that look.
    ive also seen a fw vids on youtube of trains like the Eurostar but i gess that was custom built.

• MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    A good starting place might be this wikipedia article. It doesn't go into the pros and cons but if you have no LEGO trains in your collection today, anything other than PF is going to cost you a small fortune to build even a modest layout.
    hi martin

i dont own any lego at all.
    i do like the maersk train as it looks stunning. but the down side is their is no track or pf.

so i have been looking at the LEGO CITY PASSENGER TRAIN SET 7938
    as this has everything i need for a starter set and it looks like i can build up from this.

i just dont understnad the difference is the train track type.
    is all the track now a days bendy or is this a new thing??

i do thank you again for your help and support

• bzcatbzcat Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2011
    @ zombie - Yes, all the new tracks are the bendy kind and they are the same gauge as the older 9v tracks so it is backwards compatible if you want to pick up some classic trains later.

The passenger train 7938 is a good one to start as it is a little bit cheaper vs. the cargo train and comes with tracks. Once you have the 7938, you can pick up the Maersk train and they can run on the same tracks. You can use the motor from 7938 on the Maersk train.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    ^ I want to clarify: the flexible tracks are part of the new unpowered system, but not all new tracks are flexible as those are cost prohibitive. For example, 7938 comes with 16 segments of fixed curved track:
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=53400
    so all lego train track 4.5v / 9v old or any new and flexible track all work together with out any problems. ??? and do i have to make any modification to any of the old track??

and thank you for all your advise so far its helping me very much Thank You All :)
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,258
    ^ The older blue and grey individual rails require some work-arounds in order to connect then to newer track, but the more modern 9V and Power Function-compatible (PF) 'self-contained' track (i.e. with rails and sleepers all moulded together) will fit together fine I believe. I just stick to the newer PF track, however - it's much cheaper - and if you're just starting out with trains I suspect you'll end up doing the same.
    hi
    thanks for the advise
    the reason i ask is because all the sets dont come with a massive amount of track so its quite limited in what you can do.
    so i was thinking about buying second hand track from ebay or gumtree

i want enough track to go right around the edge of my room. the price of new track for the bit you get in a box isnt very cheap.

• clowndiscuslegoclowndiscuslego Member Posts: 97
    with the current motor out there, how many cars can you pull behind your engine? like with my 9v maersk i can have 1 engine and like 6 cars. but been thinking about moving to the current stuff as track is more available. any thoughts? thanks
    edited June 2011
    with the current motor out there, how many cars can you pull behind your engine? like with my 9v maersk i can have 1 engine and like 6 cars. but been thinking about moving to the current stuff as track is more available. any thoughts? thanks
    hi; i dont have a engine or anything as yet. im trying to learn as much as possible befor i dive in as its a expensive hobby and i dont want to make a expensive mistake.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    edited June 2011
    I don't think you can make a 'mistake', the Lego trains are all fantastic, just buy whichever you prefer, and however many you can afford. Personally I'd go for 7939, but at the end of the day it's your decision.
    edited June 2011
    I don't think you can make a 'mistake', the Lego trains are all fantastic, just buy whichever you prefer, and however many you can afford. Personally I'd go for 7939, but at the end of the day it's your decision.
    thanks for the advise. i'm looking around because i like the Maersk Train & Emerald Night but non have any power function or train track so i may go for the Passenger Train because it has all the power function and track and its the cheapest.

unless anybody else have a other way thats cheaper ?!?
    Tesco have 7938 and 7939 reduced at the moment. Numerous people are also selling ENs without the coach.
    edited June 2011
    Tesco have 7938 and 7939 reduced at the moment. Numerous people are also selling ENs without the coach.
    thanks just seen it but ive founder it cheaper than that,
    i have bought several maersks and 1 emerald night, but want to buy more passenger cars for the emerald night. so far i have the maersk, toy story, harry potter hogwarts express (new one) and emerald, all running 9v. i either need more track which is impossible to find, or to convert to the new track

is there any way possibily to get the new track to work with 9v?
  • achillespdxachillespdx Member Posts: 106
    edited June 2011
    Yes. You can put metal tape on top of the rails of the new track... let me see if I can track down a tutorial... I know I saw someone doing it somewhere...

Here's one: http://chrismeyer.org/projects/lego-train-track/
    edited June 2011
    Yes. You can put metal tape on top of the rails of the new track... let me see if I can track down a tutorial... I know I saw someone doing it somewhere...

Here's one: http://chrismeyer.org/projects/lego-train-track/
    Great Find, Many Thanks A++ that helps me a lot :)
    edited June 2011
    how hard do you think that is to do?
    i dont think it will be that hard if your ok with a craft knife. ive used a craft knife for many years because i worked for white dwarf.

but buying the silver sticky back tape can be brought from ebay or at a push b&q but they will be expensive.

• hleonffuhleonffu USAMember Posts: 229
    Another alternative to LEGO 9V rails is to use the new ME Model rails. They have straights now, with curves coming. It is meant to work with 9V powered system.
    great were do you find those at?
    edited June 2011
    ^ http://tinyurl.com/3gvadm2
    Let's use our common sense people....
    sorry bout that, what i wanted to know was if they were based in the usa
    edited June 2011
    ^ And you could find that out by looking at their website
    Shipping rates are calculated from Youngstown, OH, 44512, USA
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    edited June 2011
    It's on the ME Models website that Matthew linked to ... they are based in Youngstown, Ohio, USA.

EDIT - Bah, ninja'd ;-)
    already done and placed an order thanks
    I'll say this as it has been echoed in other discussions about6 trains BUY THE EMERALD NIGHT NOW if you want it same with the 7939... As it appears that there is a new cargo train set on its way and I highly doubt Lego will have two cargo trains out (I guess you never know though)...
    Do not wait... I do not think it is going to be out much longer and if you miss out on it you may be paying more later.... Same with the Cargo train 7939 I believe.

Maersk will most likely be out for about 2-3 years, but Emerald night is ending its run....
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,416
    Apparently ME Models won't let you view their product without registering your full contact information, I'm surprised they don't want my social number. How cheesey of them. As far as Chris Meyer goes I don't think he has seen the price of Lego plastic straight rails lately, they are getting close to 9v rails in price. I also would love to see how he would pretend to "make" 12v rails. Maybe by molding your own plastic bases to glue metal strips to. The fact is that if you can afford 12v anything you don't have to cobble some rails of your own. I also don't believe that it's impossible to find Lego 9v track either. It is readily available on Ebay. If you can't afford the average price all you have to do is be patient and look for a good deal. I just bought 43 9v straights for $60 plus $15 to ship. That's what it cost when it was new.
    Yeah the ME track.. I saw that but the price is too expensive Id rather get 9v official Lego track to be honest..
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,416
    Back on topic. I went to TRU Friday after work and bought 2 7938 trains because of the BOGO sale. We (with my kids) put one of them together and ran it around the small layout that was supplied. It did ok I guess. So I went to put it away with the rest of the trains and decided to put it on my 12v layout that I had set up in the basement just for grins. It does not at all like being on the 4.5v portion of track spinning the drive wheels and decoupling all by itself especially at speeds greater than 2 clicks. So that might be something to consider if you are trying to use the 4.5v track with the newer train system.
    edited July 2011
    ^ Thanks for that advice.
    update for you all

i have now brought my first lego train's

i found somebody who wanted to sell their collection cheap
    so i went and got a mega deal for the lot
    so im now a proud lego train owner, i know i have asked you all quite a few question, and ive waited untill i knew enough to understand the basics.

thank you all for your views and helpfull advise
    it did help me
    ^ So what was your 'haul'? :-)
    i got a complete santa fe & Burlington Northern Santa Fe with lego men and books
    and 10025 & 10022 complete with books and 30 straight track and 25 bends.
    not bad for a first time train set i gess, lol
  • streekerstreeker FranceMember Posts: 299
    ^I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to call you out on this. In a thread that was closed yesterday, you asked how much you these sets go far on ebay with the thought of selling at one or both. A lot of people gave you helpful advice on Lego trains. Your wanting to sell one of these iconic train sets seems counter to your original intention to " once i buy my train and track i plan to keep it and just add onto it."
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    edited July 2011
    the more advise the better as once i buy my train and track i plan to keep it and just add onto it.
    i got a complete santa fe & Burlington Northern Santa Fe with lego men and books and 10025 & 10022 complete with books and 30 straight track and 25 bends. not bad for a first time train set i gess, lol
    whats the average selling price for each train as im thinking about selling one or maybe both but dont want to start my price too high and i dont want to give them away at a silly price
    You've asked for and received a lot of good advice, did well in getting the some of the best trains LEGO has ever produced, and now you're asking about advice in selling them. To me, this seems like a long exercise in spinning your wheels and if others feel as I do, you may soon find no audience for your inquiries.
    i got a complete santa fe & Burlington Northern Santa Fe with lego men and books and 10025 & 10022 complete with books and 30 straight track and 25 bends. not bad for a first time train set i gess, lol
    whats the average selling price for each train as im thinking about selling one or maybe both but dont want to start my price too high and i dont want to give them away at a silly price
    You've asked for and received a lot of good advice, did well in getting the some of the best trains LEGO has ever produced, and now you're asking about advice in selling them. To me, this seems like a long exercise in spinning your wheels and if others feel as I do, you may soon find no audience for your inquiries.
    Thanks for your advise but i asked the value so i could put it on the house insurance incase of it geting damaged or stolen.

but thats anyway.
    edited July 2011
    as im thinking about selling one or maybe both
    but i asked the value so i could put it on the house insurance
    ???
    i dident want to say it was for my house insurance, i felt a bit stupid. thats not a crime.

anyway thank you all again.

please close this admin
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,258
    With pleasure.
This discussion has been closed.

Shopping at LEGO.com or Amazon?

Please use our links to help keep the forum online: LEGO.com Amazon

Recent discussions Categories Privacy Policy