Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

So what does everyone here in the forum do for a living? (just very curious)

Comments

• CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,264
    edited May 2013
    I am a student, studying Classics. I do not have a great deal of expenditure, and a couple of Summer jobs mean I have a fair amount of money to be spent (and saved) freely.

Thus the Lego keeps flowing in :o)
  • LegobutterflyLegobutterfly Member Posts: 488
    I'm now a fulltime mummy to 2 gorgeous boys, before having my children my 'sensible' job was orthopedic nursing assistant at our local hospital. Prior to that I was a free lance scuba diving instructor splitting my time between the UK, Egypt and Thailand, I was just starting to get seriously into underwater photography when I came out of a long, bad relationship and decided to change everything about my life and decided to go back in to healthcare.

Due to a recent injury my returning to employment has now been put on hold for a year or two, but when I do I'd love to have a stall at local farmers markets etc selling home baked cakes, pastries, breads etc, well that's the dream anyway.
  • ISDAvengerISDAvenger Member Posts: 204
    16 year active Army, Armor Crewman (M1 series Main Battle Tanks). Currently serving as a Division Assistant Inspector General and deployed to the Judland Wastes.
  • 14hours2save14hours2save Member Posts: 24
    Oracle apps dba for john lewis. I'm also male, 38, only recently out of my dark ages and was once upon a time quite interested in star wars. Seems I may not be alone in these regards, but at the same time it's heartening to find that we're not all like this!
  • dejavudejavu USAMember Posts: 235
    Former writer, currently part-time art glass dealer and real estate manager.
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 725
    RTG container crane driver at Felixstowe. This goes some way to explaining my habit of industrial biased MOCs.

Although I still haven't come across a container full of Lego with the doors open but I did once dump a quarter of a ton of Halloween costumes on the quay when the containers door flew open :)

• flowerpotgirlflowerpotgirl ScotlandMember Posts: 147
    I run a small business repairing computers.
  • duilimduilim Member Posts: 61
    Dentist. No, not the one who x rayed collectible minifigs to i.d. them a few years back, although series 10 and trying to find the medusa frustrated me so much that I probably would hav if I'd had a machine available!
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 485
    I'm a scientist (virologist). I'm surprised there aren't more architects...
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,359
    I'm a university student, studying for a degree in Environmental Geology. Demanding degree, but I always find time to relax by fiddling with a few bricks and bits.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    Medic in the US Army :) Love my job every day!

Also I am a licensed Pharmacy Tech still from what I did before the Army, so when I get out, I can still use that for job hunting lol
  • crusher1976crusher1976 Member Posts: 43
    I'm a gravedigger and have been for the last twenty years.
    andhe
  • epyon396epyon396 Member Posts: 268
    I got out of the Marines last summer, specifically, a "data guy". I worked with servers and networking, a little bit of help desk.

I'm currently going to Temple in Philly for Computer Science.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    Currently working Asset Protection... "glorified greeter". Previously an Army Journalist, and spent 10 years as a TV Camera Man. PolySci major, future Priest King.
  • wrangler6915wrangler6915 USA - Lincoln NEMember Posts: 500
    Chief Investment Officer - I oversee about $2B in public and private investments for a large health care system in the Mid-Atlantic region. No one I work with knows what a geek I am about Lego...
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 435
    edited June 2013
    Previous works include mostly IT.

Bricklink shop as of this year. Planning on growing it until it can support me.

Currently going the summers for more work to Southampton, NY.
  • ISDAvengerISDAvenger Member Posts: 204
    Pretty cool to see a few military people on here.
  • GentlyBenevolentGentlyBenevolent Member Posts: 327
    Soldier in the grand army of the republic,(catering department)
    Not quite true... But I am a chef
    murphquake
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,403
    Politics.
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    carpenter, surprisingly keep my lego habits quiet at work due to the high levels of manliness in the air!
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 220
    Airline Pilot, I fly the mighty Q400 for a European airline.
    GothamConstructionCo
  • jasonord69ajasonord69a UKMember Posts: 399
    Retail Manager with Asda. Unfortunately my store has very little Lego so I don't see many offers in my store.
    On the other hand I do save 10% online which has cost me a lot recently.
    Also recently started my own Lego reselling website which is going quite well.
    indigoboxPitfall69dino_girl
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    edited June 2013
    @legoprods said: Previous works include mostly IT.

Bricklink shop as of this year. Planning on growing it until it can support me.

Currently going the summers for more work to Southampton, NY.

Where will you be working? Have you been to Southampton before? I live just a town away. If you would like any info, shot me a PM. Glad to help if I can.
    legoprods
  • dejavudejavu USAMember Posts: 235

On the other hand I do save 10% online which has cost me a lot recently.

Yep!

• adukaduk Member Posts: 154
    Chemist in a pharmaceutical company.
  • beegeedeebeegeedee Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 380
    I'm senior software engineer and also a product manager rolled into one. I work on oil-related software from drilling to laying pipes. I used to also work with educational software, health systems, weather and safety/permit systems before I moved to Ireland.

I've been writing software since I was 11, and sadly stopped playing with Lego about the same time.
  • bigbearbigbear Member Posts: 5
    I run a IT distribution business in Singapore. So far, my Lego obsession is not known to many people but those who know are actually quite cool about it. Not the missus though, as she thinks Lego is taking over the house soon!
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    hahaha.. job related, someone just showed me an airport departure today that has these fixes on it.. LUUKE IAMUR FADDR
    Legobutterflyaimlesspursuits
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    @aduk just curious, what kind of pharma company?
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 832
    ^ an EVIL pharma company, is there any other kind?
    Furrysaurus
  • adukaduk Member Posts: 154
    I think your spellchecker has replaced the word ethical in the above post ;-)
    BrickDancer
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    margot said:

hahaha.. job related, someone just showed me an airport departure today that has these fixes on it.. LUUKE IAMUR FADDR

http://www.qsl.net/wu1m/tweety.htm

That is a real instrument approach chart in the US.

The five letter blocks are used so that you can easily enter them into a GPS if you need to, and to follow the path on the screen easier. Every waypoint in the world has a unique five letter "name".
    margot
    margot said:

The five letter blocks are used so that you can easily enter them into a GPS if you need to, and to follow the path on the screen easier. Every waypoint in the world has a unique five letter "name".
    @LegoFanTexas Do you fly?

I used to, but not for a few years now. I hold a commercial pilot certificate with instrument rating in both airplanes and helicopters, as well as a certified flight instructor rating in both airplanes and helicopters.

I worked in the Gulf of Mexico flying to the oil rigs and I've done corporate jet and turboprop flying. I have about 2,000 hours of dual instruction given between airplanes and helicopters and about 4,000 hours total flight time.

Now I am back to what I did before aviation, selling widgets. :) I started my first business in 1996, sold my first item on eBay in 1997 and found over the next few years that it made as much money as my computer networking and web site development business. I flew full time from 2002 to 2009, while still selling part time, then came back to this full time for various reasons.

Haven't flown since 2009, in some ways I miss it, in others I don't. I always used to say that I was never paid to fly. That I'd do for free. I was paid to show up at 6 am at the airport and fly where someone else wanted to go. :)

Frankly, selling widgets pays much better. :)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,577

Retail Manager with Asda. Unfortunately my store has very little Lego so I don't see many offers in my store.

I'd blame the manager!
  • FoxyA19FoxyA19 Member Posts: 124
    Sainsburys part time, nothing on you guys :/
    edited June 2013

Frankly, selling widgets pays much better. :)

Definitely... Luckily for me I got hired to fly cargo so I haven't suffered like most at the pax carriers. It's a rough business to be in but a lot of fun.

And 6 am would be a luxury... I took off at 3 this morning.

^ Yea, I remember those days... I flew for 4 months for the owner of a pair of Beachjets out of Dallas who owned a house in a ski resort in Colorado. He had two of them so he would never be down when he wanted to fly, plus he used it to go pickup his family in OK and FL and fly them to CO.

Of course, he also had his pilot certificate and was typed in the plane, so he of course wanted to fly and thought that his 500 hours of time was "enough". :)

I was a copilot in it at the time, hired by his full time captain (required by insurance of course) to fly when the boss didn't want to or wasn't around. Pay wasn't all that great and the hours sucked. Such a person expects you to be ready to leave Colorado at 10am on Sunday and if he doesn't show up until 3pm, he wasn't late, we were just really early for him.

Flying corporate jets sounds like fun, until you deal with that stuff. But he has the money, so be it. :) He did take good care of us however, let me use the plane to fly my wife to Colorado for the weekend one time, he paid for our hotel and a 4x4 rental truck to go have fun for the weekend. So the pay and hours suck, but the perks could be really cool.

I'm sure you have some interesting stories to share. What do you fly?
    MD-11
  • 91stlegotrooper91stlegotrooper Member Posts: 92
    I own and operate a landscaping business.(and spend most of my earnings on Legos :)
  • indigoboxindigobox Member Posts: 470
    @91stlegotrooper that sounds very very familiar :D
  • ZacheranoZacherano Member Posts: 59
    @CapnRex101 - I respect you and congratulate you on your recent promotion to Brickset administrator.

I too am a student, and one of the disciplines I am studying intensively is classics! It's cool that we have something else in common, besides both being student AFOLs!

To answer the original post, I am a student in the U.S., studying mainly languages, classics, and social sciences. I attend a liberal arts college, which affords me freedom to study a variety of subjects. :-) I have been a Lego fan for 14 years and a visitor/member of forums and Lego sites like Brickset for around five years.
    margot said:

MD-11

FedEx? :)
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 220
    edited June 2013

margot said:

I'm going to try these fixes out next time I'm at work to see if they're in our nav database. I'm pretty sure it's Munich which has the GIVME4W (Give Me 4 Whisky)
  • RikTheVeggieRikTheVeggie CanadaMember Posts: 287
    My background's in high-performance scalable server-side software, primarily in C++ on Windows systems (yup, I'm another techie). My current day job is as a senior developer (I was a 'software engineer' in the UK, but over here in Canada I'm not allowed to say that) for the world's largest white label ticketing solutions provider, creating the software that powers websites & ticket sales for world famous venues.

Outside of work I've got experience with C#, Java (for Android) and many others. Currently working on myBrickset 1.7.
  • ame_uwagiame_uwagi Bolton, UKMember Posts: 41
    Mental Health Nurse. I retired last year so now I play with LEGO, ALL DAY LONG!!!!
    :-D
    indigoboxflowerpotgirl
  • WhipMedicWhipMedic United StatesMember Posts: 3
    Paramedic
    murphquake
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,372
    "Send more paramedics"
    Furrysaurus
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    @WhipMedic yay i'm not the only one! @Pitfall69 here I am, hungry?