Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

So what does everyone here in the forum do for a living? (just very curious)

Comments

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    You got me ;)
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,252
    brickderp said:
    Hello everyone! I am new on this forum! Been collecting since a few months! (Have over 80 sets now ahahah). I am a doing a PhD in neuroscience at McGill University. Pretty much interested in the development of children with neurological disorders!!!
    I did my biochem undergrad at McGill! Was planning to go into medicine but taking a break for a few years 
    @brickderp ;
    - You certainly need to take a break after biochemistry....
  • Maxime_1987Maxime_1987 Member Posts: 32
    brickderp said:
    Hello everyone! I am new on this forum! Been collecting since a few months! (Have over 80 sets now ahahah). I am a doing a PhD in neuroscience at McGill University. Pretty much interested in the development of children with neurological disorders!!!
    I did my biochem undergrad at McGill! Was planning to go into medicine but taking a break for a few years 
    Nice! Yeah the undergrad is pain in the ass at McGill quite hard! I hope you will get into medicine after the break! I might go in Medicine as well after my PhD to work as a doctor and a researcher. Still not sure though what should I do or do a Post-doc after… will see!
  • TommyFTommyF northern irelandMember Posts: 29
    Im an underpaid Civil Engineer...
    Or maybe Lego has gotten too dear, or maybe I want them all........

Anyway at the end of the month it never balances out
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Pitfall69 said:
    I bet I know what you are going to do with your telescope ;)
    Pit, that is one of my favorite torsos and a brilliant pose you made! The slippers are perfect! And the curves of her legs are fabulous!  The tilt to her hairdo and one arm touching her head are just brilliant! The circular mat pulls your eyes in, and her position perched on the stairs is perfect. This is drop dead gorgeous! Thanks for making my day!
  • Wicksy80Wicksy80 Northern IrelandMember Posts: 535
    Ex Royal Navy Aircraft Engineer, now a postman.
    hkcrazy88
  • mldj77mldj77 Philadelphia, PAMember Posts: 63
    FedEx courier
  • LisaSussexLisaSussex Member Posts: 1
    print room manager
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 398
    Civil Servant
  • HothWampaHothWampa Vancouver, CanadaMember Posts: 15
    Postman at Canada Post and Limousine driver on weekend
  • danstraindepotdanstraindepot Member Posts: 170
    Model train business owner.  Authored a few price guides on model trains.   But started a quite successful business selling on eBay when it first started.   Guess what got me started..... LEGO!   Model trains eventually took over as it was easier to purchase huge amounts and scale a business.  
    DAVEmoon
  • DAVEmoonDAVEmoon Member Posts: 44
    I breed horses.
    Not one U S emigration official when you need one
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,240
    Up until January of this year, I was a Plumber in our family business (3rd generation Plumber) for over ten years. With end of the local building boom about two years back, my parents tried to keep things ticking over, but recently they had to make the tough call to scale back the business, else they'll have issues in retirement, so yay, unemployment... :(

Currently job hunting, but also finally getting down to trying finish a few of my stories (mostly write sci-fi, but I have a few stories in other genres trying to get out).
    DAVEmoonxiahna
    DAVEmoon said:
    I breed horses.
    @DAVEmoon - Where? A lot of my work has do with horses and breeding. 
  • EluneElune QuébecMember Posts: 99
    @VorpalRyu Yay, another writer! I LOVE writing as well, though I'm more into fantasy or romance/comedy. I have tried other stuff, but it just doesn't inspire me enough. If you publish any of your stories online, feel free to share it with us. ^_^ Anyway, good luck finding another job. I believe plumbers are usually not long unemployed (at least not here).
    @Elune, I wish, unfortunately, with the building boom dying like it did, a large number of businesses in the construction industry here have had to make cut backs. I know a good number of others in the same boat, including five other Plumbers. The worst thing is none of the guys I know personally are Master Plumbers, Master Electricians or Master Gas-fitters, so we can't just go out & work for ourselves...

My aim is try to get at least three of the seven novels I'm currently working on completed by Christmas, I just have to stop getting distractions. Who knows, there might be announcements some time before our eleven month old starts attending school.
    Elunesnowhitiexiahna
    Wait, 11 month old attending school? Did you your wife have another Sheldon?
    VorpalRyu
    @Pitfall69, not that I know of, I would be happy if it turns out something like that, but seriously, I have a million things I want to do & things are always on the back burner... I have like seven novels at least half way done, sixteen more story concepts waiting to be started (amongst all those, are a few potential series of books), a small collection artwork to complete, several MOCs (& growing), including some I'd consider for Lego Ideas, plus I want to properly watch through all the TV shows I've been interested over the year, etc, etc...

I so need a round-tuit...
    xiahna
  • lowleadlowlead Member Posts: 5
    Airline / jet charter pilot...a.k.a. Professional Finder of Free Food.
    @samian391
    Ireland , but soon to be Kentucky.cant wait great stallions,cheaper Lego.
    ^Try again. Maybe 3 times the charm ;)
    DAVEmoon said:
    @samian391
    Ireland , but soon to be Kentucky.cant wait great stallions,cheaper Lego.
    @DAVEmoon - I live in Kentucky and have worked on many farms with plenty of Irishmen (all wonderful people I might add). If you don't mind me asking, are you joining the staff of a specific farm? If so, which one?
    null
    @samian391 No we bought a farm near Lexington.supposed to arrive last December but delayed,but all sorted now.wife starting to train too in July.cant wait to arrive.great people there too.i have only enjoyed usa every time i went ,lived in new York a while too.Now the Lego bug has bit me the exact same way horses did 25years ago.miller beer,wings,Lego,and racehorses.thats the job
    @DAVEmoon - Near where in Lexington? There are some fantastic people here. Horse people are the best :)
    edited March 2015
    @VorpalRyu Ah, sorry to hear that. And I totally understand about the distractions, haha. I have like... 4 half-completed novels and I have just started a new one, when I should really at least finish one of my "main novels". Though I don't only lack discipline, but also tend to get discouraged. "It's not original enough" and "This would never be published anyway" is what I come to think of anything I write. "Or if it was, nobody would buy it". That's the reason why I have started one novel that is meant for online publication (like on WattPad); I want to see if my writing can interest anyone. But I've started it in English to reach more people - like I was not already overly-critical of my writing style in my first language! Now I have to deal with the "you don't even realize it because you're not a native English speaker, but it's actually very ill written". I'll never get out of it. XD Do you know NaNoWriMo?

• WeavingBearWeavingBear Member Posts: 3
    I am a starving artists - I knt and weave
    I am new to building legos
    a new friend got me into them and in the past month I have down almost 20 of them
    I am so enjoying them
    Some have been gifts and some I purchased for myself

I am looking for a full time job though
    @Elune, if you are a typical writer, you are your own worst critic, seriously, get others to read your works & get their opinions. I have deleted entire paragraphs, chapters, & even a couple of entire stories because it wasn't working, it wasn't good enough, etc, etc... After which, friends have lambasted me at length for destroying a good piece of work, one of them declared that whenever I feel like doing that, save it off as a second file, then do the rewrite. The idea there was that she would read both when we catch up next & she would tell me which to go with. A few people I have on my Facebook mentioned NaNoWriMo in a few posts.
    xiahna
    @VorpalRyu I'm afraid I am quite typical in that regard. XD I never permanently delete anything though, because I often reread my old stuff; so I transfer my deleted scenes in an "archives" folder. But yes, I should let some people other than my husband read my stuff. But... it's so scary! XD Also, you have to find the right person for the task. ^^;
    NaNoWriMo is a cool event: the goal is to write 50,000 words in the 30 days of November. It's good for productivity and to get rid of your inner editor. They also send you pep talks and tips. In April there's the NaNo Camp, which is a kind of preparation for NaNoWriMo. You set your own goal (for example, mine is 500 words a day so 15k) and you can join groups of 12 people. The best thing about all of it is probably getting to talk with other writers outside of your friends circle.
    @samian391. Paris pike and cant wait.most horse people grand,a few clowns but they are soon weeded out. Looking forward to Kentucky derby ,ill tip the winner here the Friday before, you were told.
  • qzh0223qzh0223 Member Posts: 7
    a math student, find something for fun
  • MBwannaBMBwannaB Member Posts: 15
    Castle Rock, Colorado
  • scrumperscrumper UKMember Posts: 323
    ^I really hope that is what you do for a living and you didn't mean to put that in the "Where are you from?" thread.  :D
    SumoLego
  • DaSmokeEaterDaSmokeEater Member Posts: 34
    Lieutenant at a Fire Department.
    SuperTrampPitfall69AanchirSumoLegoThanos75
  • MBwannaBMBwannaB Member Posts: 15
    Oops....Electronics Engineer......
    scrumper
  • VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
    edited April 2015
     Hello all-

M&E Advisor for the U.S DOJ
  • namzepnamzep Member Posts: 42
    Oracle DBA at a university.
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Ahhhh, as in Oracle data base administrator, I take it? (That one only took me about 30 seconds as DBA also stands for Doctorate in Bidness Admin.)

• MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 855
    @legogal I just watched the Matrix trilogy over the weekend - i thought @namzep was a fortune teller...
  • mr.pigglesmr.piggles Snow FortMember Posts: 326
    I teach at a clinical day program for kids with serious psychological, emotional, and behavioral issues. Then I write, I'm a very busy freelancer. Then I work as a stablehand.  This hobby obviously helps me de-stress... I've got.. a lot... 
    Elune
  • herbyderbyherbyderby CaliforniaMember Posts: 54
    I'm a software engineer in silicon valley. Exited my dark ages a year or so ago; having a young son gave me an excuse. Trying to resist buying too many retired sets :neutral:. Thankfully I did save my childhood Lego--recently pulled them out and rebuilt the Yellow Castle (the instructions for that are hilariously short compared to modern ones, BTW).
    TheLoneTensor
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,783
    I'm a software engineer in silicon valley. Exited my dark ages a year or so ago; having a young son gave me an excuse. Trying to resist buying too many retired sets :neutral:. Thankfully I did save my childhood Lego--recently pulled them out and rebuilt the Yellow Castle (the instructions for that are hilariously short compared to modern ones, BTW).
    I recently re-built a few castle sets - I kept missing all sorts of parts from page-to-page.  I think we're spoiled with the new instructions!
  • The_IveysThe_Iveys USA::Florida::ValricoMember Posts: 64
    Professional Services - Software Field Integrator for Alcatel-Lucent by day... independent I.T.  services nights and weekends (web coding, custom scripting, consulting, networking, etc)... father to a 6 yr old little girl who shares my affliction for Lego... :)
    BACbrix
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 934
    My latest attempt at Astrophotography.  After a month of waiting for a reasonably clear night I finally managed this, although there was some very thin cloud so it's not quite as sharp as I'd like.  Taking using a 150mm telescope, plus a 5mp webcam, 1000 frames, best 40% used.

Cheers, Robin :smile: 
    SuperTrampEluneBrickDancerGothamConstructionCosamiam391LostInTranslationFollowsClosely
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    ^Fantastic shot.

Is that what you actually do for a living?
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 934

Thanks everyone :)

@SuperTramp - Oops, sorry I was having a bit of a nightmare with my laptop earlier and I ended up posting this in the wrong thread!  No, unfortunately not, I'm a data analyst.  But I have a mid-life crisis planned shortly where I can give it up and start working for a local astronomy dealer...!

• mikey1703mikey1703 Wyong area, NSW AustraliaMember Posts: 10
    PC Desktop Support Team Leader for the Australian arm of an International Bank - absolutely NOT who I am though. :)
  • train_nuttrain_nut DubaiMember Posts: 7
    In the Construction industry. Contracts and Procurement.

It's interesting to see so many professinoals here.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,783
    It's not a cheap hobby, although I'm sure it crosses all demographics.
  • skullboyskullboy DFWMember Posts: 210
    Game/Card Shop Owner/Operator