Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Lord of the Rings new set: 10237 The Tower of Orthanc

Comments

• Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
    I wouldnt mind seeing saurumon, wormtounge, battle damaged Gandalf, and an Eagle
    yys4u
  • mdellemanmdelleman Vancouver CanadaMember Posts: 274
    ^ a realistic and great selection of minifigs!!
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 1,996
    epyon396 said:

^ You've just sparked an argument between the wife and myself -_-

...because now you need three?
  • epyon396epyon396 Member Posts: 268
    y2josh said:

epyon396 said:

^ You've just sparked an argument between the wife and myself -_-

...because now you need three?
    She's insisting that there's ambiguity as to what "Two Towers" is referring to. That it's not necessarily Minas Morgul and Orthanc.
    Oh. Well. In that case, just point her to Tolkien's note at the end of Fellowship of the Ring or his illustration for most copies of The Two Towers.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,275
    edited February 2013
    ^ from the lotr wiki

"Tolkien came up with the title under deadline pressure and later expressed dissatisfaction with it. In letters and one sketch, he considered several possible sets of towers, including Minas Tirith and Barad-dûr, and even the possibility of leaving the matter ambiguous. However, he eventually settled on Orthanc and Minas Morgul and wrote a note to this effect which appears at the end of most editions of The Fellowship of the Ring. He also produced a final cover illustration showing these towers, but the publisher decided not to use it in order to save money on the production costs."

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/The_Two_Towers_(novel)
    Just watched the trilogy again over Christmas with my wife. After all this talk i'm about ready for another go at it!
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 831
    I just thought that I'd find it very cool if the tower of Orthanc was actually mistaken for barad Dur (but then again)
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    Depends when they choose to set the Orthanc set, my guess would be for Saruman and Wormtongue, alongside the party who go to demand Saruman hands himself over in ROTK - that being said the whole seen might be special edition only DVD rather than the film, I cannot remember
    ^ that scene is in extended edition.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,523
    burnsider said:

^ Including 1-2 exclusive minifigs would not hurt sales, it would only help. Just like when they added the Elrond minifig with the video game.

I agree, I see DS as an interactive play set while Orthanc would be a set you would display. It will be interesting to see which direction they take with Orthanc set. I'm just happy we'll get to see it this year!

I didn't say adding exclusive minifigs would hurt sales. I said adding exclusive minifigs would not really drive sales. The set by itself will drive sales. Adding minifigs is nice, but not necessary.

If they put one exclusive (and important) minifig in such a set, it would be viewed as a cynical way to sell the set. That may turn some collectors off.
  • HarryPotterLoverHarryPotterLover Member Posts: 238
    y2josh said:

Also being LEGO likes to make us buy double sets (ex- Kingdom Joust, Horizon Express) maybe they will have alternate instructions to build Barad-Dur as well and have the Two Towers!

You likely could do a pretty respectable Barad-dûr out of the pieces from Orthanc, but the second tower referenced in the title is actually Minas Morgul.
    Actually, Minus Morgul was the City of the dead, but regardless, does anyone else think this is possible to do? (change the tower to (Well just call it Saurons Tower to agree :D))
    ^ They are just bricks. You can build anything out of them.
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633

Looking forward to this one. And I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm going to grab a couple more orc forge sets so I can make a big Isengard display!

This was my initial reaction to this news. However, since the forge is technically under the ground level, won't you need to create some kind of basement to accommodate for the forges ?

An Octhanc without Saruman is like the Ring without Frodo

• piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,146
    Yes, LEGO has specifically made certain sets; IE Kingdoms Joust and Horizon express to be "ideally" fulfilled by buying two of the set. Some may call it genius marketing; others, an opportunity to just buy two to have even more. I am not sure if any other LEGO set has been made to these specifications.

I do not have the train but I have Kingdoms Joust and have one completely built and not the other. When I do open the other box I will just build the building and leave all the other small parts in bags to preserve for even longer!
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,809

Actually, Minus Morgul was the City of the dead, but regardless, does anyone else think this is possible to do? (change the tower to (Well just call it Saurons Tower to agree :D))

The point was "The Two Towers" refers to Orthanc and Minas Morgul, not Orthanc and Barad-dûr. So you could buy two sets and build an approximation of Barad-dûr alongside Orthanc, but it wouldn't be literally accurate to call them "The Two Towers".
  • ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 420
    This was my initial reaction to this news. However, since the forge is technically under the ground level, won't you need to create some kind of basement to accommodate for the forges ?

An Octhanc without Saruman is like the Ring without Frodo

That's a good point, though I seem to recall above ground structures that the ents were destroying. I suppose I'll need to go watch the movie again! (Oh what a tragedy!) ;-)
    LadyLovesLegos
  • tmgm528tmgm528 Member Posts: 457
    Am I the only one that when I here Barad-dur I think of Bau-Dur?
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,937

tensor said:

Also being LEGO likes to make us buy double sets (ex- Kingdom Joust, Horizon Express) maybe they will have alternate instructions to build Barad-Dur as well and have the Two Towers!

I'm not following, what do you mean by double sets?
    Like they show on the box (set #) x2 for example how the Kingdom Joust is just a facade? Well the box shows buying 2 gets you a "full building" or buy 2 Horizon Expresses to have a "full train"
    Oh I get it. Heh, if I remember, they even showed x8 on the back of Cafe Corner.
    I wasn't ever able to get 1x CC but i just did the math and they wanted people to spend $1200 on x8 sets XD I find it hard to belive people really did that!
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    Actually they advertised the Cafe Corner as x2 and x6 but still, the premise of buying 6 of a $140 set is kind of silly although I'm sure many people entertained the thought at the time for at least a second before waving it off as madness. Even if you did buy 6 though, it doesn't look like all the parts would be used.

Still, it could be done for less cost right now with the current Grand Emporium since you would really only be brick linking specific levels. Since it is in production, I'm sure piecing a level together (and it's interior) would be cheaper.

TheLoneTensor
    Yes you should be able to build a second and even third floor. True with current pieces and sets being available it should be easier. I believe the premise with CC was really for the person to use their imagination. if you wanted to spend oodles of cash go ahead, but maybe you just get one or two extra. And MAYBE if you feel spunky enough you just bricklink it and go from there, even on ebay I have seen specific floors for sale. I think with the cinema just coming out and going forward we should start seeing some customer improvements by people making it even better.
    I wonder if the tower will have anything to place around it?
    /\ That would be interesting....maybe an Ent or some type of orc weapon.
    tmgm528 said:

Wasn't there an Ent/Treebeard set rumored to be coming?

Yeah, , maybe some other kind of smaller forge or maybe a burning tree for when they destroy the trees surrounding to build the forge, but it would be ok as a stand alone set if it had some kind of interior.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    Depending on the size of the tower, the Orc Forge set might be a "hot" item (sorry I couldn't resist) as a decorative set spread out around it.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,499
    I would hope they would spend all the brick quota making the tower as tall and detailed as possible rather than having scenery to go around it. It would be really cool if the tower is segmented so you can open it up and has detailing inside like stairs and chambers and secret storage places etc. On the other hand, it might have yellow, orange, and green bricks filling the interior like R2.
    ^ Me too. I'd prefer it to be just a tower. If ents and forges are available separately, then there is no need for them to reduce the size of the tower to hit a particular price point. Plus if you want a few ents, you don't need to buy multiple towers, and if you just want a larger tower you don't need to buy unwanted ents.
    I was just speculating of course, but I actually would also like a standalone tower. They probably wouldnt resist giving us a catapult on the tower or something unnecessary, but it takes away from the "fancy-ness" of the set itself
    Also I don't want them to reduce the size of Ents or tower to meet some sort of scale
    Anyone think any connection with be made by LEGO to tie in with The Hobbit?
    Good chance that the tower might feature in the next movie I'd have thought, it might well be a tie-in set

I was just speculating of course, but I actually would also like a standalone tower. They probably wouldnt resist giving us a catapult on the tower or something unnecessary, but it takes away from the "fancy-ness" of the set itself

Flick missiles - that is what it needs :-)
    KanohiShpadoinkletmgm528MathBuilder
    CCC said:

Go sit in the corner.
    Kanohi
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,543
    edited February 2013
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,543
    edited February 2013
    CCC said:

@epyon396

I would not be surprised, Weathertop HAS them. I kid you not.

I literally laughed out loud when building the set.

(Bl**dy multiple quotes programming jargon, can't get them to work today).
    HarryPotterLover
    epyon396 said:

tmgm528 said:

Wasn't there an Ent/Treebeard set rumored to be coming?

Yes there was but that was just a rumor. If they don't make a set like that I think this would be a good opportunity for them.
    CCC said:

Goodbye. d:
    If you;ve bought the rights to make LOTR lego, there are surely going to be plenty of sets coming out in the future? An ent is a given i'd have thought
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Toddlers love building towers, so a Duplo Tower of Orthanc would be a smart move.
    Bumblepants
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,998
    Am I the only one who doesn't mind flick missiles? They are one of the easiest action features to ignore entirely since they take up almost no space in a build, and if they're really bothersome they can almost invariably be replaced with basic Technic pins, leaving you with some quite useful building elements. I'm very grateful that flick missiles were introduced, since they basically have been able to act as a substitute for bulkier and equally superfluous action features that would usually require cutting corners in a model.

With that said, I don't expect any flick missiles in a set like this, except, perhaps, as building elements (a stud, a bar, and a pin all in one piece is an amazingly useful combination of connection points for certain kinds of building). In fact, in general I doubt this set will have any major emphasis on play value, given its probable cost and age range.

If you;ve bought the rights to make LOTR lego, there are surely going to be plenty of sets coming out in the future? An ent is a given i'd have thought

Depends how long they bought the rights for. Licensing contracts do usually have expiration dates, hence why TLG renews their Star Wars license every so often.
    Andor

I don't see LotR running much beyond the third Hobbit film. Anecdotally, the first wave didn't do particularly well, so I would guess TLG isn't keen to get into a long-term contract, but that's purely speculation on my part.

I definitely do want to see an Ent set, though. Really, there a dozen sets I'd have rather seen before the corsair.
    y2josh said:

I don't see LotR running much beyond the third Hobbit film. Anecdotally, the first wave didn't do particularly well, so I would guess TLG isn't keen to get into a long-term contract, but that's purely speculation on my part.

I definitely do want to see an Ent set, though. Really, there a dozen sets I'd have rather seen before the corsair.
    I agree with not needing a Corsair right now, but I think they are trying to add some kind of vehicles (the only other is Gandalfs cart) but if I want vehicles Ill buy City thank you!
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,998

y2josh said:

I agree with not needing a Corsair right now, but I think they are trying to add some kind of vehicles (the only other is Gandalfs cart) but if I want vehicles Ill buy City thank you!
    I also would not be surprised at all if they were trying to fill the void left by not having a pirates line currently. Some kids (and adults) enjoy pirate ships, regardless of theme, and TLG has designers who are probably happy to provide them when given the opportunity.
    Andor
  • VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
    I agree with the above with regards to the corsair which had 10 seconds in the 10 hour footage... Howeverrrr i feel that all follys on part of TLG can be forgiven now since truth be told I believe no one here really actually thought it was likely we,d actually be given the the Tower of Orthanc in a grand scale size , specially after the lack lustre Lotr sales . Someone somewhere in TLG must have really pushed for this one .
    Thinking about it, the LOTR seems an odd sort of theme for lego. Neither the books nor films were really aimed at children,well not the sort of ages that would be into lego in a massive way. I'm not surprised it hasn't sold well, still I really like some of the sets and so far they have all been half price so I ain't complaining
    Aanchir said:

Am I the only one who doesn't mind flick missiles? They are one of the easiest action features to ignore entirely since they take up almost no space in a build, and if they're really bothersome they can almost invariably be replaced with basic Technic pins, leaving you with some quite useful building elements. I'm very grateful that flick missiles were introduced, since they basically have been able to act as a substitute for bulkier and equally superfluous action features that would usually require cutting corners in a model.

I agree with you there. It is normally easy to replace them with a couple of bricks / plates if you don't like them. But then, I never feel constrained by having to follow the lego instructions exactly. I prefer to build and make it look how I want it, rather than follow instructions to the letter (picture) and have it looking slightly wrong to me.

I hadn't thought about the replacement for something bulkier too. This is a very good point. Lose a flick missile, gain a larger play-style item that is equally unnecessary and lose parts elsewhere.

I'm not surprised it hasn't sold well, still I really like some of the sets and so far they have all been half price so I ain't complaining

Is there any evidence that it hasn't sold well? They are priced too high in my opinion, but that is true of most lego. As soon as it is 1/3 off, they seem to fly.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited February 2013
    its also my impression that they dont all sell well. looking at the ones on sale and how long they sit around for Id say moria and orc forge are the worst sellers and shelob; gandalf and helms are the best sellers. Not surprised they have trouble with Moria, its not much of a model. Hopefilly we'll see a UCS moria at some point that actually looks like Moria.

All credit to Lego for biting the bullet and doing Orthanc properly first time round instead of the 'more obvious' option of doing it as a medium sized set like moria.