Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Lord of the Rings new set: 10237 The Tower of Orthanc

Comments

• tmgm528tmgm528 Member Posts: 457
    If only I had an extra 200-400 dollars (my estimate) to spare........I just can't cut SW or the Rest of LOTR.....I would still love to see a Rivendell(and not the council of Elrond set) (And maybe a 200-400 dollar Ebon Hawk but I won't let myself get carried away.)
  • cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 811
    There was a fuzzynpic of it around xmas time, I believe it will be around 75cm tall aswell.
  • mdellemanmdelleman Vancouver CanadaMember Posts: 274
    @cavegod

Any chance you have a copy of the picture? Or anyone for that matter? PM me please.
    /\ It was taken down from everywhere it was...trust me I have looked.
  • HarryPotterLoverHarryPotterLover Member Posts: 238
    @tmgm528 maybe we will get another Rivendell with the Hobbit from an Unexpected Journey?
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,093
    ^^^ Your not missing much. The blurred picture was pretty pointless.
    @yys4u Is there ANYTHING you can tell us about the set from the picture?
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,110
    the picture was incredibly tiny. you could tell it was a tall black tower, about 2 feet high. that was about it
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited February 2013
    The blurred picture looked like it was from the side of a lego box, showing the scale (Hight x Width).

There was also this photo as from mid last year.

LEGO Tower of Orthanc???

Doom4
  • cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 811
    If you google it you can easily find it
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind CheshireMember Posts: 2,098
    Well I said it wasn't going to happen but if @legoboy confirms it it is 99% likely to be true. Happy to admit I was wrong.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    I would love a wormtongue figure, but I wouldn't be surprised to see no figures.
    Rich
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,275
    ^ I'd be really surprised to see a licensed set with no figs. I would expect this set to have at least Gandalf, Wormtounge and Saruman with Aragorn, Theodin, Merry, Pippin, Legolas and Gimli as all possible fillers.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,357
    Minifigure wise, I was envisaging Gandalf the White, Saruman, Aragorn, Pippin and Legolas along with Shadowfax. I presume the set might be designed to go with the smallest set of the Summer LOTR line, #79005 The Wizards Battle.
    Andor
  • richardh4388richardh4388 Member Posts: 132
    I will try and find out what figs are included and post the results as soon the guy in Germany can tell me
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,825

Well I said it wasn't going to happen but if @legoboy confirms it it is 99% likely to be true. Happy to admit I was wrong.

Lol. £170.
    Redbullgivesuwind
    Legoboy said:

Lol. £170.
    Any thoughts on figs J.?
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    ^ At that price, is it the TB replacement?
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 831
    I can't wait for this set, it would be good if the wizard battle would be an add on to Orthanc but I very much doubt it :-(
  • epyon396epyon396 Member Posts: 268
    kez said:

I can't wait for this set, it would be good if the wizard battle would be an add on to Orthanc but I very much doubt it :-(

If only people were able to customize Lego sets....
    epyon396 said:

kez said:

To be honest I never customise sets because I have a lego OCD (LOL) but I am a lego perfectionist and completionist when it comes to certain themes, that's very bad for my wallet though which at the minute is empty :-(
    Orthanc is going to be very tall and presumably expensive (if I remember rightly its about 70 odd cm high)
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 1,996
    edited February 2013
    kez said:

epyon396 said:

kez said:

To be honest I never customise sets because I have a lego OCD (LOL) but I am a lego perfectionist and completionist when it comes to certain themes, that's very bad for my wallet though which at the minute is empty :-(
    Orthanc is going to be very tall and presumably expensive (if I remember rightly its about 70 odd cm high)
    I used to be that way until the LotR sets came out. I found them to be so lackluster that it was pretty easy for me to say, "This needs expanded, this needs fixed, etc., etc."

This led to me going back and 'touching up' a lot of the older models that I had found a bit unsatisfactory (Café Corner, Green Grocer, pretty much any of the Star Wars 'location' sets) but hadn't wanted to mess with due to additional pieces meaning that the model wasn't 'perfect' anymore, but I think once you get through one model and see how much better it looks, it's easier to go through and fix up others.
    Si_UKNZTheBigLegoskiAndor
  • Doom4Doom4 Member Posts: 14
    Looks awesome. One of the most iconic buldings from the Lord of the Rings. Can´t wait to get my hands on it.
    Doom4 said:

Looks awesome. One of the most iconic buldings from the Lord of the Rings. Can´t wait to get my hands on it.

Have you seen another image of it or have you only seen the blurry image of it, if you have seen a better image of it can you please post it here. :-)
  • Doom4Doom4 Member Posts: 14
    kez said:

Doom4 said:

Have you seen another image of it or have you only seen the blurry image of it, if you have seen a better image of it can you please post it here. :-)
    Unfortunately my opinion is based on the blurry image but I am certain Orthanc will look awesome. There isn't anything what they can possibly spoil.

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,523
    edited February 2013

Minifigure wise, I was envisaging Gandalf the White, Saruman, Aragorn, Pippin and Legolas along with Shadowfax. I presume the set might be designed to go with the smallest set of the Summer LOTR line, #79005 The Wizards Battle.

Given Gandalf and Saruman in #79005, I'd hope they were not repeated in Orthanc. Obviously depends on whether Gandalf is white / grey.
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 481
    ^ Oh they will definitely include Saruman. How could they not? They repeated Vader in the SSD. It will be interesting to see who else they include (some orcs/uruks I hope).
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    No need for any minifigs, it's a UCS type model, and anyone who's in the market for it will probably have more than enough LotR minifigs.
    Doom4 said:

kez said:

Doom4 said:

Unfortunately my opinion is based on the blurry image but I am certain Orthanc will look awesome. There isn't anything what they can possibly spoil.

Thanks anyway :-)
    I can't wait to see clear images

• piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,146
    I am just curious as to when we may obtain some official release information. I like placing dates next to sets I want.

No need for any minifigs, it's a UCS type model, and anyone who's in the market for it will probably have more than enough LotR minifigs.

This was my logic too Si.

I'd be ok without minifigs, but if they do put minifigs in I couldn't see Gandalf and Saruman not being in it. The scenes there that don't include both of them are just orcs and Uruk-hai and that what the Orc Forge set already is. So the only scene that would make sense to cover a set with just the tower is the Fall of Saruman. With a set this size I could see them including all 9 characters (not including Treebeard) that were there see how many minifigs are in something like the Death Star.
  • RomanticWarriorRomanticWarrior United StatesMember Posts: 248
    After seeing that the Wizard Battle is being released as a separate set, I would be surprised if the Tower of Orthanc set has any minifigs/playability. If it were to include something, I would have expected it to be pretty much exactly what's in that small set.
  • morbiczermorbiczer Member Posts: 50
    Even UCS Millenium Falcon had minifigs coming with it. I would be surprised if this set comes without any. An exclusive minifig or two will drive sales without costing Lego too much extra. The SSD has three exclusive minifigs (or two, if you don't count the the bounty hunter droid).
  • burnsiderburnsider Member Posts: 75
    ^ I agree. It would make sense for LEGO to include some exclusive minifigs in a set of this magnitude.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,523
    I doubt one exclusive minifig will drive sales. We'll have Gandalf the White and Saruman in other sets. Even if they do a Wormtongue exclusive to this set, I doubt people will spend £100s on it just for the minifig. If they want such a huge set, they'll buy it. I cannot see one minifig, and a minor one at that, driving sales on a huge set.

I don't think comparison with the DS is right here either. DS is a play thing - even though it looks good displayed too. This doesn't appear to be a play thing with multiple scenes.

The new Red Five x-wing doesn't even have a pilot.
    kylejohnson11
  • burnsiderburnsider Member Posts: 75
    ^ Including 1-2 exclusive minifigs would not hurt sales, it would only help. Just like when they added the Elrond minifig with the video game.

I agree, I see DS as an interactive play set while Orthanc would be a set you would display. It will be interesting to see which direction they take with Orthanc set. I'm just happy we'll get to see it this year!
    In relation to height, Im going to use my Town Hall, which is 50cm, the Tower is 20 cm (2/3 ft) taller, but is skinnier, so I imagine it may have around the same piece count I picture about a couple 100 pieces less maybe? And the thing about the Wizard Battle is that if Sauruman was in this set to drive sales, people could get him for only about $10 and then Gandalf and some orks, or urk hai cause I doubt Merry, Pippin, or the Ents will be in this set, so the figures may not be great, but oh well, the Hobbit was good, but LOTR rehashes figs to often.

Also being LEGO likes to make us buy double sets (ex- Kingdom Joust, Horizon Express) maybe they will have alternate instructions to build Barad-Dur as well and have the Two Towers!
  • ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 420
    Looking forward to this one. And I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm going to grab a couple more orc forge sets so I can make a big Isengard display!
    kylejohnson11
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,937

Also being LEGO likes to make us buy double sets (ex- Kingdom Joust, Horizon Express) maybe they will have alternate instructions to build Barad-Dur as well and have the Two Towers!

I'm not following, what do you mean by double sets?
    /\ i believe he means buying two of one set.
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 629
    edited February 2013
    ^ Right, or more specifically, sets that you can buy two of and easily combine.
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 284

...LEGO likes to make us buy...

You choose to buy, LEGO doesn't make you do anything.
    Andor
    tensor said:

I'm not following, what do you mean by double sets?
    Like they show on the box (set #) x2 for example how the Kingdom Joust is just a facade? Well the box shows buying 2 gets you a "full building" or buy 2 Horizon Expresses to have a "full train"
    devilhead said:

...LEGO likes to make us buy...

You choose to buy, LEGO doesn't make you do anything.
    I meant if people wanted the sense of what they consider "a full set' rather than a facade. However to me, sets are great open backed, I mean LEGO IS for play after all..
    ^ And if you're displaying it on a shelf or against a wall there is no need to have more than a facade anyway.

Following the derailment above, are the Joust and Horizon the only 2 sets so far that have specifically noted combining with a 2nd set on the box?
  • mdellemanmdelleman Vancouver CanadaMember Posts: 274
    With or without figs I will be buying this the day it is available to do so!
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 1,996

You likely could do a pretty respectable Barad-dûr out of the pieces from Orthanc, but the second tower referenced in the title is actually Minas Morgul.
    Andor
  • epyon396epyon396 Member Posts: 268
    edited February 2013
    ^ You've just sparked an argument between the wife and myself -_-