Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Lord of the Rings new set: 10237 The Tower of Orthanc

SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
edited April 2013 in Collecting
Spotted on the net
I cannot post links here as against the rules since the picture showed was unclear and with a confidential stamp on it...

so I let you google it yourself...

73 cm high though! niiiiice!

PS: Mod, if against the rule to even mention it, I do apologise in advance.

Comments

• VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
    Wormtounge : Even if it is breached it would need a brick number beyond reckoning , thousands."
    Saruman :" 2000 "
    Wormtounge : " but my lord, there is no such force ".
    PoochyrichoLegoFanTexasAndor
    If true...this has to be the Lego news of the month.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited January 2013
    73cmx21cm or 28.75Inx8.25In. That's a good size.

Only thing is, will this be the set that fills the next" Advanced Model" spot? I sort of hope not as I am waiting for the next Taj Mahal, Eiffel Tower or Tower Bridge type set and would prefer it to not be a licensed set.

Saying that it still could be a cool set, assuming it is real.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    Yeeey, a bunch of stacked black bricks!...just kidding, would be awesome if this is true!
    Andor
  • pvp3020pvp3020 Member Posts: 176
    Didn't someone post a photo of a Lego workshop on this forum a few months back? It had a Tower of Orthanc model sitting on a shelf in the background. I think there was some discussion over whether this would be a retail set or if it was a reference model for the LEGO LotR game (or both).
    Joseph said:
    The one in the photo looks just like Tower of Orthanc, it may even be about right height for the leak photo of #10237

LEGO Tower of Orthanc

LegobrandonCP
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    ^ Good eye! Nice catch.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,292
    Oh no... I might have to give in and start collecting LotR sets after all
  • berniebondberniebond AustriaMember Posts: 137
    @bumblepants ...as i have to start to collect Super Heroes with the Arkam Asylum...:-(
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    Very interested to see some official pics could be amazing. I'm hoping it will be an additional set in legos exclusive line up for the year and that it won't take up another sets slot. At the rumoured 73cm high would be a very impressive piece to have displayed in your home.

Very interested to see some official pics could be amazing. I'm hoping it will be an additional set in legos exclusive line up for the year and that it won't take up another sets slot. At the rumoured 73cm high would be a very impressive piece to have displayed in your home.

Given it is a 10xxx set I assume it will be an Exclusive/Hard To Find so not sure what that means as far as the other new LOTR sets. It's sort of like a Diagon Alley version for LOTR.

• FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,177
    edited January 2013
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,177
    I am most certain I will be passing on this though. A big tall black tower, could it be more boring.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,296
    ^ It could be grey. :-)

yys4uSumoLego
  • WatfordScottyMWatfordScottyM Member Posts: 469
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    edited January 2013
    Thanks, this looks to be a great set! I enjoy the exclusive models for licensed themes as they are always head and shoulders above the rest on offer that rely on pretty minifigs to sell.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,296
    ^ In this case, they are not pretty .... just precious.
    YodaliciousVortex
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    I'm taking a shot and saying it is true. motayan from Flickr who posted the original picture has since taken it down.
    @kylejohnson11 additionally wasn't motayan the first one to have the detailed pictures of the new Modular Cinema? This would have to give a little more credibility to this being real.
    kylejohnson11
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    @Basta he was and the Star Wars polybags.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,473
    Im a bit more curious what that grey castle looking structure is on the right of it. I do not think that is Helms deep is it?
    Andor
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,750

Im a bit more curious what that grey castle looking structure is on the right of it. I do not think that is Helms deep is it?

To me, it looks pretty much identical to Helm's Deep. It's difficult to tell for sure, though.

• trickydicky0880trickydicky0880 Member Posts: 134
    edited January 2013
    ^^It's got to be helms deep with the big horn tower and you can even see the Uruk hai ladder.

Brickipedia used to have the witch king battle posted so I'm wondering if there are more lotr sets yet to be announced.
    Andor
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,750

Brickipedia used to have the witch king battle posted so I'm wondering if there are more lotr sets yet to be announced.

The currently known sets were seen in a retailer catalog. If there are other sets, exclusive to a certain retailer, it's unlikely they would have been in that catalog.
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    2013 is definatley shaping up to be the best year yet for big sets if this set is legit
    ^
    Let's see if we can recount , there is :
    Cinema palace
    Possibly.. Crane mk2

What else ?
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    Vortex said:

^
    Let's see if we can recount , there is :
    Cinema palace
    Possibly.. Crane mk2

What else ?

Although technically released last year im sure you could count Arkham Asylum as a 2013 set
    should be a new SW set, probably May 1st. Haven't seen anything other than wild speculation as to what it might be though
    ^ ^
    I concur with you on Arkham asylum. It was officially dated Jan 1-13

^ new SW set ... That shoul be the 2013 UCS (A) ... The only set whose prospects are giving me the same tickle shiver as the possibly true 1st of the 2 towers :)
  • smillattsmillatt Member Posts: 39
    Basta said:

73cmx21cm or 28.75Inx8.25In. That's a good size.

Only thing is, will this be the set that fills the next" Advanced Model" spot? I sort of hope not as I am waiting for the next Taj Mahal, Eiffel Tower or Tower Bridge type set and would prefer it to not be a licensed set.

Saying that it still could be a cool set, assuming it is real.

Is there a thread for the next advanced model suggestions? If not, I may start one!
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    Advanced model spot is not going to be filled by a licensed model
    dougts said:

Advanced model spot is not going to be filled by a licensed model

That's good to know, any idea on when or what the next one will be? :)
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    Not a clue and my initial comment is educated speculation not based on any inside info
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    edited January 2013
    Raise your hand if you will be re-creating the famous Clock Tower scene (using the Town Hall) from the movie when you get your Delorean set :)

*Raises hand*
    bricksanVortex
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    UCS LotR at last! Been guessing they might do this ...
    Andor
  • richardh4388richardh4388 Member Posts: 132
    edited February 2013
    I spoke to a member of TLG who confirmed that the tower of orthanc will be released in mid 2013. It will be a very large set!
  • epyon396epyon396 Member Posts: 268
    Any estimate on the piece count?
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,837
    Mid June I believe. :-)
  • alexwilalexwil UKMember Posts: 376
    Guess I better start saving then!!
    Any word on what minifigs will be included if any? I am hoping for a Wormtongue
  • richardh4388richardh4388 Member Posts: 132
    Set was on display in Germany. I was not told the piece count or which figures were included. I will try and find out though!
  • ColtCrazyColtCrazy Member Posts: 28
    This is great news for my love of Lego. Not for my wallet. Let's see, 2013 I will be buying this, palace cinema, pet shop, sopwith camel, haunted house, and the castle series. I might need to buy some lottery tickets.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,352
    Given that pixelated image which we saw a while ago which suggests a height of 29 inches, I can only imagine a cost of something in the region of £200 or even more. Whatever the price ends up being I will pay it, such is my anticipation for this set!
    Andor
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Legoboy said:

Mid June I believe. :-)

Sounds like it'll be launched at Brickworld in Chicago then.

• yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    Maybe it will be 7' tall like this one? X-D
  • Lego2012Lego2012 Member Posts: 59
    Exciting news, can't wait to see it!
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,147
    oh man. This and me getting into Star Wars? And getting all the castle sets? And just getting the cinema? I need a second job! Just for LEGO....
    beegeedee
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    yys4u said:

Maybe it will be 7' tall like this one? X-D

I'd settle for all the things on the ground in that photo, forget the tower!

yys4u
  • mdellemanmdelleman Vancouver CanadaMember Posts: 274
    This is one set I can not wait to see/buy! Anyone have any idea when we will get a sneak peak????

Can't come soon enough.