Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Darn Castle/Kingdoms finally sucked me in

dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
edited June 2011 in Collecting
Since coming out of my dark ages just a few months ago, I've thus far been able to restrict my collecting to Modulars, Winter Village, and Creator Houses. The licensed themes never really do much for me, outside of the odd well-done set here or there. The playsets generally seem very weak from a display standpoint (clearly made for kids/play), making only the vehicles intriguing to me on a case by case basis (QAR, some SW ships, etc.)

Likewise, many of the other current themes don't pique my interest either - AQ, PQ, Ninja, etc. City has some nice stuff, but my daughter collects those, so I don't worry about it. Thus, I've been able to thus far keep my budget somewhat in order (going a bit crazy playing catchup of course - 3 modulars for example, plus trying to part the first 2 off BL).

But now that has all changed. Unlike most of the other themes, the Kingdoms/Castle line is just knocking out great set after great set. Not only do they have great playability - they still display well and look like actual buildings, not half cut-off ones. Market Village and Mill Raid are brilliant, and come with all kind of extra animals and stuff too. The castles/towers all look good as well. Dang LEGO - nice work.

So sadly for my wallet, but happily for me, I finally bit the bullet today and bought my first (but not last) set - the Mill Village Raid. MMV is soon to be acquired using my VIP points as well. Any recomendations for a 3rd item?

Comments

• RogueRogue Member Posts: 27
    Welcome to the Castle club! ;P

The MMV is a must have! The King’s Castle is a great set, too. The walls separate so that you can rearrange them (which I think is nice for display purposes).
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    MMV and MVR are the two most adult sets out of the Castle lineup currently available on the primary market. Seems like you have a very narrow window of they type of set you purchase for yourself, mainly advanced builds that display well. Maybe you'd want to pick up duplicates. On the other hand, if you're up for MOCing together a Castle themed area, then all of the Castle sets are great because they offer a variety of figures and pieces to put something awesome together. But take Escape from the Dragon's Prison. It's the sort of half cut-off building you mentioned. King's Carriage Ambush and Blacksmith Attack might be nice additions to a scene. I don't think the older castle themes before 2007 would appeal to you since you're just out of your dark ages and those older sets wouldn't quite match the aesthetics of the newer sets. Of the more recent out of production sets, if you're into fantasy, you might want to look into Dwarves' Mine. The set is a bit leaning towards the play side and some do not like the non-mine look of the mine, but it is a neat set that I find quite appealing. Also, I liked Troll Warship.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    Thanks for the tips. I'm a bit of a mix between display and moc - I certainly do both. I'm not much on playability, but my two girls always appreciate that aspect of the sets. I basically buy sets for "me", and "them". For "me", I lean pretty heavily toward display/moc of course. the carriages are nice add-ons - LEGO actually does vehicles well in general. Your description of my window is pretty accurate.

In looking over the sets, it certainly seems like most of the Castle lineup features "complete" buildings - even the towers and castles, with lots of play features, look complete. Compare to say SW, PotC, and HP non-vehicle sets, along with non-licensed lines like Atlantia, Ninjago, City, etc, which seem heavy on the "half-building" comcepts or mash-ups in the vein of Home One or the new Echo base.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    It was that darn medieval market that pulled me back into Castle too :o)
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    I guess we just have a different perspective. I think King's Castle is pretty much a complete building. But Prison Tower Rescue looks like the portcullis, or gate, of a larger castle without the rest of the castle. Outpost Attack looks like it could use some walls around it. I mean, sure, it might be a watch tower on the front for advance notice of incoming troops, like the title suggests, but why would the opposing army bring in siege equipment for a lone tower? Blacksmith Attach is pretty good, but kind of like an add-on shack to the blacksmith shop in MMV. And Escape from the Dragon's Prison is like part of a defensive wall. Seriously, if that's it, the gate is not stopping anyone: Oh, you've locked the gate? Fine, I'll just take my spear carriage around then. Hmm, your walls look kind of hollow from this end. Might want to beef them up a bit.

All joking aside, I think the sets are great. I've been collecting all of them, so obviously the criticisms above are very minor.
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    ^ I agree the Dragon buildings look half-complete. It would have been nice to have a couple of technic pieces at the bottom corners so they could be joined together to form a more complete building, similar to the sets of the 80s.
    http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6040-1
    http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6062-1

But the Blacksmith Attack looks pretty sweet, has some nice parts, but I'll be grabbing the MVR when it gets released in New Zealand, it will go nicely with my MMV!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,349
    Get the Medieval market village soon as it is slated to be discontinued this year....
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited June 2011
    Agree, get MMV ASAP

Of the current series, Kings Castle is a great set, one of the best castles ever http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7946-1 - you'll probably enjoy it more than you think.
    Or maybe this http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=7019-1 which might look better next to MMV & the mill because it's wood rather than stone.

Apart from that, if you end up following a similar train of thought to myself, after MMV you might want to look at this; http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=10210-1
    ^ I just put 10210 on lay-by last week! It was the last one I could track down in my country and would kick myself if I missed it! I reckon its the best looking ship so far.
    I also really like the designs of the new castle line, only built the smaller sets so far but looking forward to opening the Kings Castle someday.
  • EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    What are peoples opinion on the future value of the MMV? I like the look of it, but I'm in need of a push in either direction.
    edited June 2011
    MMV has a great £/piece value and v desirable, so strong on paper, but way too many bandwagoners, so the aftermarket will be flooded. Short term bad, medium term OK, Long term good if MSIB. 10210 a much stronger bet as it's less well known and has less people who can afford it right now due to the price, but who'll still want it even when it's out of production.
    I think MMV will go the same way as the Modulars, a very sought-after set to collectors pushing prices up, but as mentioned above, there could be a lot of speculators getting on the bandwagon.
    edited June 2011
    MMV has a great £/piece value and v desirable, so strong on paper, but way too many bandwagoners, so the aftermarket will be flooded. Short term bad, medium term OK, Long term good if MSIB. 10210 a much stronger bet as it's less well known and has less people who can afford it right now due to the price, but who'll still want it even when it's out of production.
    ^Hitting it right on the head, great set, but there will be people that have 20-30 of these sitting around waiting to sell. So they will be worth something, EVENTUALLY, but do not expect a rapid return on investment with most Lego sets in the near future. Modular, and really expensive, sets being the exception. Just Imagine how many people will be storing Maersk Sealand trains for future sale
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,258
    edited June 2011
    ^ Seconded. On the basis of these forums alone, it's clear that people have wised up to the resale value of retired sets and are filling their boots. I suspect there will be a lot of people stuck with multiples of sets that were a "dead cert" to make them money but which are in fact nothing of the sort, at least initially after retirement.

As a consequence, I'm increasingly relucutant to make any predictions about which sets will "do a Batman" or a "Market Street" as I'm beginning to suspect that the answer is "none of them". Sure, if you stock up on a few MISB copies of MMV then you may make a meaningful profit after fees etc. in 5 or 10 years time, but maybe no more than you'd have made just sticking the money into a savings account.

Related to this is a topic that I was planning to post at some point, entitled "LEGO - will the bubble burst ?". I just don't believe that sets can keep rising in value like they have been, for a number of reasons including those stated above. There's also the question of whether LEGO will remain on the crest of a wave indefinitely. History suggests it won't, in which case good luck with those resale values..... I still may post it at some point, unless someone beats me to it.....
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    edited June 2011
    ^ I'm probably a bit bullish on the LEGO aftermarket, but with the current US savings account rate at ~1% APY, it will be easy to outpace that by reselling virtually any LEGO set. The good to great sets will appreciate ~15% as a baseline and there are examples from just last year that have already doubled and tripled. The poor to mediocre sets will be slower to move, but these are sets that one can typically purchase for 15-50% off retail, and they'll usually at least still fetch retail prices after retirement, and if they don't, they can be parted out for resale.

Of course, this is mostly based on my experience with the US market, and my expectations would be lowered accordingly in other parts of the world where LEGO retails for more and seems to go on discount less.

[edit] This is probably better for your bubble topic, too :)
    edited June 2011
    @drdavewatford, go for it, the 'ebay prices' thread is going the same way too, we could redirect both into your new thread.

Just had a look at something interesting; The most wanted sets exclusing star wars
    http://www.brickset.com/list/?MostWantedExclSW
    If you look at the top five, there's Cafe Corner, GG and Market st, and MMV and 10210. I had absolutely no idea until I just checked this, but very interesting in the light of what we're just discussing about these two sets.

Something else I just realised which is interesting - Have you seen how much http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7733-1 goes for? A relatively simple City set, one of the most owned sets, yet it's going for 2-3 times initial RRP - eBay completed listings are £40-£60. So stats might not mean anything after all ...

@rocao - Im bullish for the market as a whole but only for the next 2-3 years, although I do think this years retirements will show us whether it's flooded or not in the 'obvious' areas. I'm bearish after that - IMO there might not be such a thing as viable med-long term Lego investment, because once the economy's back in full swing, Lego will trend back down again IMO.
  • TalasAntaresTalasAntares Member Posts: 124
    Egad this must be contagious as I bought my first Kingdoms set tonight...
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,760
    As much as I'm tempted by the mill raid (being a fan and collector of mainly castle). Why is is so expensive! Almost the same price as the MMV was/is for less than half the pieces! I would have hoped this set was nearer the £50 mark?? But with this current line of kingdoms it seem the prices are just the same as the US with a dollar sign in front.
  • HobomanHoboman Member Posts: 9
    After not playing Lego in many years (Very Many) my little boy started to get into Lego. I bought Star Wars sets for him and a few of the Power Minors. But nothing reaally big for me. Then Kingdoms caught my attention. It shifted me from interested dad back to an AFOL. :-)
  • StevenAshbyStevenAshby Member Posts: 155
    My next Build is http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6080-1

ive got a feeling it could be the start of an expensive process looking at some of the newer castles and the MMV is just superb i can see why they have sucked you back in :)
    The good thing is if they really do not go for tons then I just will build a HUGE village with 'full' buildings instead of the front...lol The parts are great in this set too.

I also think that Lego has made substantially more sets in their production runs to ensure everyone can get one... Will the sets $150 (USD) and over go up in value? Most likely, this is due to people who were waiting to catch on on a sale or for those getting back into the hobby that like them, but they are not screaming to 1000 like the MISB Market Street apparently is going to reach, same with SW Lego, EVERYONE sells SW Lego now on eBay (although I think the Death Star will be one of the sets likely to hit 1000 unless Lego puts these on clearance to get rid of them, then not too fast but I think it will still hit.).. The people this does help are the people that need to buy off of eBay or BL, as more supply should mean cheaper prices...