Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Helms Deep Moc

RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,810
So finally completed my Helms Deep Moc and thought I would post it here to see what people think. And also to see what people think could/should be improved. I would love feedback before I display it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/8314487345/in/photostream/
GothamConstructionCoy2joshkezCapnRex101atkinsar

Comments

• cozycozy Member Posts: 146
    It's a beautiful thing.Very nice work.
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 826
    It looks great @Redbullgivesuwind,I like the height of the walls and everything else about it, there is only one thing you could improve if you wanted to and that is to make the tower of helms deep slightly higher if you want to because the tower is the highest part of the castle, and also if your a lego purist you should use a lego box to raise the central part of the castle instead of a sport fusion box LOL, overall great work and well done :-)
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,810
    Thanks for the feed back guys. Very useful. @Kez. Ive raised the inner bailey on bricks now. I did think that the tower needs to be a lot higher. I may have to look at how to raise it up.
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 826
    ^ your welcome
    Redbullgivesuwind
  • staffmarkstaffmark Member Posts: 44
    Great stuff! Nothing I love better than to take an existing set and enlarge/expand/edit it as you see fit.

I attached my not yet completed helms deep below as well- a work in progress, but its been a blast to build!
    nerick906
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    On a slight tangent, but what did you guys think of the Uruk Hai Army set? I loved the ballista and the brick-built wall section, and what an awesome number of figs included! I actually picked up a second one I liked it so much.

Getting this set has got me looking very intently at Helms Deep and the extensions that can be built. I like the way Lego is going lately with multiple sets being able to be combined.

To the OP - great Helms Deep, will look great populated with figs! And @staffmark Love your work, awesome setup. The new horses look great in battle.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,810
    @Staffmark that looks great I love the cave section that you have added. The walkway also looks very nice as well.

@Stuboy thanks your very kind. I do like the uruk hai attack. Its a nice expansion pack for it. It shows lego have really thought about it hard. And how to do it. As the critism I have of the helms deep set is that its wall is just a bit too short.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,282
    @Redbullgivesuwind - Great model, I was toying with the idea of making a Helm's Deep MOC myself a few months ago, but decided against it and have an Arkham Asylum MOC in the pipeline instead. The only suggestion I would make is perhaps to try and compress the width of the model, it may just be me, but the wall around the central keep seems a little too wide somehow. I hope you have plenty of Uruk-Hai to attack it!

@staffmark - Fantastic build, I particularly love the way you have created the huge arch beneath the highest part of the walkway up to the doors. Just one question, I am actually trying to construct a large rock wall at the moment, quite similar to the one towards the left of your MOC, any tips on how to do it without it looking repetitive or eating up bricks as though they are going out of fashion? Many thanks.
    edited December 2012
    @Capnrex101 thanks thats odd as I was looking at it thinking it wasnt wide enough! Yeah Ive got just enough for it to look good :-). I had the same thought of doing a arkham moc. Sadly he wants a sarlak pit next.

In regards to the rock face. There is no way to do it without eating bricks but you can vary the slopes, using 1x2, 1x3, 2x3, 1x4 and 2x4. and also the colours as well. The most common is dark and light bley, some dark tan, little bit of green.
    @Redbullgivesuwind - Dark tan for the rock face, that's a very good idea! With only dark and light bleys it kept looking repetitive and not at all natural so introducing some dark tan would be a great help. Thanks!

Sarlacc Pit MOCs always end up looking boring to me, and they use up bricks to raise the pit off the ground more than just about anything else! But good luck nevertheless.
    Well really you should credit @Cavegod for that. I got the tip off him for a batcave.

Yeah well this is my thought. It's just a hole in the ground. So if you are not looking straight down on to it you won't see anything. I might work on him to see if we can change it to something else.
    @Redbullgivesuwind - Well in that case thanks to both you and Cavegod.

Are these models for shop displays or something like that? I have done a couple of displays for one of my local toy shops on condition that I choose what I build (and they offer me a £5 voucher, although I would do it for free).
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272

Yeah well this is my thought. It's just a hole in the ground. So if you are not looking straight down on to it you won't see anything. I might work on him to see if we can change it to something else.

Why not do a cross section of the sarlacc pit, as if it has been cut in half. That way you can really go to town on the inners for the sarlacc, I guess that would be it's stomach, may make it more interesting.

Redbullgivesuwind
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    atkinsar said:

Why not do a cross section of the sarlacc pit, as if it has been cut in half. That way you can really go to town on the inners for the sarlacc, I guess that would be it's stomach, may make it more interesting.

I wish I had thought of this before I started mine. I did a lot of the small details on the inside, but now that it's (mostly) done, you really can't see any of it. A simple set of hinges at the beginning would have solved this easily.
    @Atkinsar thats a good thought actually. It would be something different. Plus I could put a few jokes in it. There is Bobba and the Wheeqey from robot chicken. Thank you.

@y2josh I would be interested to see pictures if you have them. Just so I can see how you did it.

@Capnrex101 its for a local toy shop. I do two a year when lego release their new stuff. I do get a 10% discount
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    @Redbullgivesuwind - I'll actually be out of town until late February, but the general framework can be seen at the bottom of the following thread:

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/6599/custom-sarlacc-pit-my-1st-moc#latest
    Redbullgivesuwind