Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Si_Dorking_Surrey_UK: Thought I should introduce myself after my first 100 posts

Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
edited June 2011 in Introduce yourself
Hi all ... I've probably chatted to most people on here, and met some of you at the Symposium, so I thought it might be time to introduce myself on here properly.

I rather liked the way @prof1515 did his profile so start off with that format.

Name === Si
Age === 34
Profession === Customer-centric strategy consultant (mostly digital)
Non-Lego Interests: === Family, Mountain biking, travel, business, ancient history.
Years Collecting === when I was a kid + last 2ish years.
Total Sets in Collection === 474 sets (271 different) - more accurately 350 (265 different) without 'the Sun' freebies.
Piece count === About 150,000, with 139218 in brickset

Lego as a kid ===
I'm not one of those people who's trying to re-create their youth; when I was kid I had loads of basic bricks, also classic space and Technics - I particularly remember the unimog. I usually built the sets once, then MoCced like crazy and that's always what Lego was about for me. All my kid sets are gone now.

How I got into collecting big-time ===
I got into adult collecting after looking for Lego for my niece and realising how great some of the sets are now. After tickling the edges for a while, about 6 months ago I decided I wanted to build a lego 'world' and was going to 'catch up', i.e. get all the sets I liked which aren't current. I've pretty much finished doing that now, with a couple of exceptions. Building the collection has been a great fun activity through the winter and while my son was small - having a young baby involves a lot more time being indoors than I'm used to, and also means that someone's home to collect the parcels when they arrive, so seemed like a good opportunity.

MSIB === I reckon 20-30% of my collection is still sealed, but I'm catching up slowly. I believe Lego is designed to be played with, in fact ultimately I guess I believe Lego is all about MoCing.

Favourite themes ===
VIKING/ CASTLE / POTTER === Viking was the theme that first caught my eye, and it's still one of my favourites - Fun and historical. The castle & potter sets usually form the basis of MoCs - the castle sets seem to have lots of room for improvement, the potter sets less so, they seem better-deisgned to start with, but still great MoC potential.
'WORLDY' sets === By these I mean sets based on travelling: Prince of persia/ Orient Expedition/ Pirates Islanders / Indiana Jones all fit into this category for me, along with Taj Mahal I guess. I love these sets as they act as a proxy for real travel and look great together.
MODULAR === Who doesn't? It's the AFOL standard for a reason. I'm one brick short of completing the collection, can't wait to have the same street as everyone else :) Baaaaaaa!
CITY/ CREATOR BUILDINGS ==== Really like some of these, although the series as a whole are a bit mixed. Particularly like the residential houses.
TECHNICS === I like MoC-ing remote control cars, just because they're fun.
MONORAIL == Recently got going with this and I'm already a massive fan, yet to integrate it into my Lego town.
TRAINS === Love the new ones, not wild on the older ones. They do tend to take over a bit though space-wise!

Least favourite themes
STAR WARS, SPACE === Not really into the pointy wedge plate stuff, always seems to me like it only works if you hang it from the ceiling on wires, so I've opted out of these and don't feel like I'm missing much personally.
TOY STORY === It's Duplo.
BIONICLE === A plague on the mixed lego lots.
SPORTS === What _were_ lego thinking?

Why I use the forum ===
For me, Lego is about escapism, so I enjoy connecting with other people who want to create their own little worlds as well, which I guess is what a psychologist would tell you Lego is fundamentally about. As you can probably tell, I'm not shy, and would rather post than not post, so if I go off topic or am in a grump or something, I dont mind people telling me so. I started using this forum mainly because the interface is better than the others, but have got to know some of the people on here and the reason I stick around is because it's a good community. I'm also very active in forums in the mountain biking community, although since I injured my ankles and can't ride so much, I'm moving more and more towards Lego instead.

How I build ===
I usually build with my wife, often in front of the TV after work. A lot of the time we build sets, but we both love to MoC too. Since this forum got going I like to skim topics while I build sometimes.

What next? ===
I'm planning and building a train/ monorail based layout, and am currently shuffling our house about, so will hopefully have a space to set it up properly later in the year. Havent yet built up all my trains for this reason.
I also have some dastardly MoC plans including a modular and a haunted house, which I think you'll love once they're done, so I'll share those later. Obviously I also want that missing piece so I can finish my modular street. Apart from that, from now on will just be trying to keep up with the great sets TLG are pumping out at the moment.

Comments

• MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    *waves*

Hi Si - good to have a proper intro to you, since I feel like I've chatted to you as much as anyone on here.
    I might even do my own, similar intro soon.

PS love the idea of the haunted house, that's going to be my Autumn project. I need a zombie though
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,579
    Belated welcome aboard, Si. It was good to meet you and your family at the 'symposium',
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    ^ I still can't get my head around that word. I know it fits the bill for the day but I do feel like it should be reseverved for orthodontic surgeons or similar!
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,384
    ^ Given the volume of learned discussion at the weekend, I think the description is entirely appropriate.

;-)
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    ^ Without photos, it never happened. :o)
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,384
    ^ It's probably audio recordings rather than photos that you need, and I sincerely hope that THAT never happened....
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Sounds like you guys talked about some pretty taboo topics. What was it? Confessions of closeted Megabloks fans?
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    I heard they were mostly talking about you ...
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    ^ [sprays coffee whilst reading this] All publicity is good publicity...isn't it?
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    ^^ Only insofar as he is a closeted Megabloks fan
    ^^^ I am speechless...

^ And no.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    @brickmatic - next time you should just stump up for the plane ticket, eh?
    ^ If it only were that easy...