Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links to help keep the forum online: LEGO.com Amazon

7419 Dragon Fortress - what does the mechanism at the back do?

Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
edited June 2011 in Building and Techniques
I've recently built Dragon fortress http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7419-1
but the mechanism at the back just doesn't seem to do anything, and I'm sure it's meant to ...
- There are two 'wheel houses' (pg 64 in the PDF) where a cog turns and moves a technics rack in and out.
- These go either side of an opening, with tiles along the bottom of it (p73)
- And into the opening goes a doorway in a frame, which can slide backwards and forwards on the tiles (p80), but it just sort of sits there and isnt controlled by anything.

I would have expected that turning the wheels moves the racks which connects to something and maybe makes the door move in and out (although this is a bizarre 'play feature', but there's nothing in the instructions to connect these together, and the two 'wheel houses' dont seem to actually do anything!

Anyone any idea what the wheelhouses are for?

Cheers
Simon

Comments

• davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 809
    I vaguely remember them being there to lock the door (prevent the doors from opening when extended), but I admit in looking at the instructions, it looks like they DON'T do that. Could be that it was only to "lock" it for the purposes of the board game that's included?

DaveE
  • jgadgetjgadget Member Posts: 181
    I've just had a look at the instructions too.
    I've not built mine yet, but it looks (as you say) like that rear module is held in place when the racks are extended and allowed to slide on the tiles when they're withdrawn.
    It looks like a manual process of sliding the module out, possibly to reveal the dragon.

Has anybody ever played these Adventurers games?
    Are they any good?
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    edited June 2011
    From this review (emphasis added): "Part 2 of the build is like I said, the longest time wise portion to build. Everything is built around a nice base plate, and there are many contraptions and a secret hiding place for the dragon to hide. Also the guardian's room acts as a key to the secret room for the dragon. In order to access the dragon's room, there are two key rooms to the side of the guardian's room, and inside both rooms are contraptions that with the turn of a wheel, set the guardian's room free and allow access to the dragon. All in all, this contraption is very intricate and works superbly."
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    ^ Thanks, Brickmatic ... I still have the model bulit up so had a play with it, and that does seem to be all it does. Essentially, the 'door and frame' bit is completely unattached, but if you push it right back and turn the two wheels, it locks it in place. I guess I'm just surprised that they'd design such a large play feature that has such a crude mecanism, thought I must be missing something