Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Volkswagen beetle 10187

Hello, I am an amateur builder and I do not know much about Legos. I received a beetle from my uncle a few years ago and I was considering selling it to my friend. I searched the beetle online online and saw that people were selling them for around $500! Are these reasonable prices? Any information or help is appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    edited December 2012
    Yup, a quick look at recent completed auctions on eBay shows it selling for $400, $450, $500 new in box. And, around $250 - $300 if built.

To someone unfamiliar with what retired LEGO sets will set for that may be a shock, but it's true. Some older LEGO sets (especially new in box) can sell for a lot.
  • FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502
    Yes, top dollar that people are getting for them on ebay right now is $500, which translates to around $450 for the seller after shipping and fees.
    ^ I agree. A fair price 'among friends' would be in the $350-450 range, IMHO.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,815
    Although there are occasions where they come up cheap on ebay. I snagged mine three or 4 months ago for £150 brand new.
  • FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502
    A few months ago there were some for sale on Craigslist around me for $280 or so if I recall. Would have been nice to pick them up since prices have spiked on them a little in the last month.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    I quite like the beetle, perhaps should have bought it. Never been a fan of the Camper Van in real life, so that will be one I don't buy.
    Funny how they sat on the shelf in John Lewis all year then all disappeared in a stampede a week or so back.
  • t_kutchnert_kutchner Member Posts: 8
    Thanks a lot everyone for all of your help. My dad was going to sell it for $50 to a friend and I just happened to look on google and I was shocked at the prices. Mine has never been open and is in box. Should I keep it for a few more years because it is going up in price? Or do you think I should try and sell it somewhere online?
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ It has gone up 400% since it retired, while it will continue to go up slowly, the big money has been made.

Now is the time to sell it, in my personal opinion.
    Legoboy
    Another question, it seems like it was opened and then resealed ( I think that I went to open it as soon as I got it and i was told to wait until i got home) but I didn't open any of the bags inside( at least I do not remember doing so). Should I cut the tape that was put on there after I had opened it and see if everything is there? Or just leave it as it is?
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,919
    I've built this set. And this car is absolutely huge when complete. It's quite stunning. Worth every penny, even at $500.
    If anyone is interested I am hoping to sell it for around $350.
    Also thanks for all the information and help.
    edited December 2012
    Yup, I agree with LFT. I don't see it going up much more. Best to sell now. I would if I had it. I can't respond about the tape being broken, resealed aspect. If I bought it I would be OK with that as long as it was intact. I don't know how others feel about that aspect.

Tell you what. Tell your dad that I'll buy it off of him for $100.00 :-) Twice as much as he was asking for it. Now is that a deal or what? (Did I type $350.00 earlier? Shoot I was off a decimal. I meant to type $35.00. Now, how do you delete previous posts? Hummmm.....)
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,815
    edited December 2012

If anyone is interested I am hoping to sell it for around $350.

I thought your mate was after it? It's an investment. He'll make every penny back should he sell it in the future.
    It was going to a younger kid much like myself who doesn't know much about the value of LEGOs he just likes to build them. I would rather sell it to a collector or someone who really knows about them. And I would definitely like to get more than $50 that was dad was going to sell it for.
  • missabitchymissabitchy Member Posts: 3
    chasing one for my son for his birthday its all he wants, would love to buy it but would you be neg on price ?