Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Building a LEGO Skyscraper for $25

crazycarlcrazycarl USAMember Posts: 392
edited December 2012 in Building and Techniques
Right now Lego [email protected] is selling this set for $4.99.

It took me 5 of them plus some extra elements to make this building. The footprint is 8x16 for the top 6 floors. The lobby is 10x24. Tell me what you think or let me know if you want the design plan. This is going to make a great background building on my layout!
YodaliciousPoochyTitusLegoPodcasterCapnRex101

Comments

• YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    That's a really good idea!
  • StyerStyer Huntington, WV, USAMember Posts: 73
    That looks pretty awesome. And with a starting price of only $25, you could probably still fancy it up quite a bit without breaking the bank.
  • crazycarlcrazycarl USAMember Posts: 392
    Thanks. I looked at pick-a-brick and the windows and glass alone would have cost me alot more.
    Styer said:

That looks pretty awesome. And with a starting price of only $25, you could probably still fancy it up quite a bit without breaking the bank.

Quite right! Next is a pick-a-brick order for interior parts. Lots of brown chairs and plates to make desks, etc. I will spend the most time detailing the top floor for the CEO :->.

I decided Lego Group needed a new corporate office! Heres the finished model. Just need seats for all the emploees.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    It's great! I'd like the list of parts and design plan please.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited December 2012
    Looks great!

I had a look at [email protected] and these are $16.99 AUD, ouch.

Item Number is: 850423
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    Awesome!
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,874
    I would not mind having the design plan either.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    Awesome!
  • TitusTitus Member Posts: 79
    5 sets to make that tower? I'm in. Thanks!
  • momof2boys99momof2boys99 Member Posts: 322
    I love it :O)
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 751
    £9.99 in the UK. Much as I like it, £50 before detailing and baseplate is a bit steep...
    Briking said:

£9.99 in the UK. Much as I like it, £50 before detailing and baseplate is a bit steep...

Hopefully they will clear them out on [email protected] UK for you. Keep watching for them.

For those of you who want a plan its really quite simple for the top 6 stories. You use 6 of the 4x6 plates for the roof/floors. Use the1x6 plates to brace them together. Each floor gets 4 windows in the front and 2 on each side. The lobby is completely up to you. You can make it the same size as the top 6 floors or bigger like mine. Ill post some more detailed pics for those who are going to copy this build. Thanks, Carl
    Poochy
    OK here comes ALOT of photos. Let me know if there are any design questions that could not be explained from seeing the pics. Thanks.

Roof detail:

Floors 7 and 6:

Floors 5 and 4:

Floors 3,2 and 1:

Lobby side views:
    Styer
    OK here are some interior shots.

Lobby int:

Floors 2 and 3 (breakroom and data entry):

Floors 4 and 5 (phone center and accounting):

Floors 6 and 7 (board room and CEOs office):

Heres an under view of the floors. I used a red 2x12 plate to brace the middle of the 4x6 plates:
    Styer
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 661
    Sweet!

I decided to buy some and make my own display cases.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,217
    So how do the workers get to their offices? :-)
  • TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    It would be nice to see this double depth, and hinged like the Haunted House, that way you could potentially add a stairwell/lifts while retaining the play access.
    CCC said:

So how do the workers get to their offices? :-)

The levitation charm "Wingardium Leviosa". ;-P

TyoSolo said:

It would be nice to see this double depth, and hinged like the Haunted House, that way you could potentially add a stairwell/lifts while retaining the play access.

That would be a good idea and only cost $50. For my usage this is a background building on a Lego layout. As it sits its even a little too deep for my alloted space.
    @crazycarl, thanks for the inspiration! Here is our version. My hubby had a great time building it.
    ^^^^ That looks awesome, and quite huge!!!
    33-1/2 inches tall. We will make some changes to the ground floor to make it a bit more upscale/fancy looking!
  • mrtonytjmrtonytj Guest Posts: 214
    These are $16.99 on the AUS [email protected]! We get ripped off so badly!
    ^^^ Yah thats a bit high. They went back up to $9.99 here in the states. Hope I didnt cause spike sales that made them take it off of clearance ;->.
  • bluelion3bluelion3 Member Posts: 156
    I bought five of #850423 at USD $4.99 in November. The limit was 5 per order for a while, and then it was changed to no limit (or maybe 20) for a few days. I put a bunch in my cart to buy, but then the price went back up to USD $9.99. At $4.99 it was a good deal for windows and a few plates, and it even included a blue spaceman! Great parts pack for $4.99!