Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Advanced Set Search

davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 809
edited May 2011 in Brickset.com
Two things that I still use other sites for:

1) Peeron's Advanced Set Search. Sometimes, I know there's some (say) small town set that I'm looking for, but I don't know which one it was. With Peeron, I can use the Advanced Set Search to locate all sets that are within the town theme, between 10 and 100 pieces, contain at least 1 minifig, and were released between 1978 and 1996. Very handy!

2) LUGNET's feature of entering a wildcard-- I can look for "71xx" and get a listing of all the valid sets in the range 7100-7199. Not frequently used, but there are times when I still want it.

Also, one thing that would be nice for set searching would be keywords. Searching for "Legend" or "Legends" for instance, currently does NOT give me any of the Legend sets. Be nice to have a little checkbox (or some such) that let me search keywords associated with a set. Of course, it'd be a bunch of work to give keywords to sets, but it would be fantastic to search for (say) "red fire engine" and see all the various red fire engines that LEGO has come out with over the years.

DaveE

Comments

• bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    (2) You can do that already; just type a number range into the search box (e.g. 7100-7199) & it will return all matches ... this is the resultant URL
    http://www.brickset.com/search/?query=7100-7199

There is also the 'google site' search (top right here ... http://www.brickset.com/sitemap/ ), but that can take some scanning through to find what you're after, but it does search *everything* on the site (news, bricklists, etc.)
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Sounds like you want exclusion filters, which has been mentioned previously in other threads. I second that suggestion.

Also keywords would be great. Perhaps that XML markup that was mentioned previously. Again, I second that suggestion.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    @davee123: I hope your examples were simply hypothetical; I was led to believe you actually did store and recall every last LEGO detail from memory :P

I third (and maybe first'ed in another discussion) the exclusion filters.

XML tags would be nice, but as mentioned, it'd be quite a manual effort. That's not to say it shouldn't be undertaken, though, especially since we can leverage this community.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,458
    This is something I've always intended to implement. How might the UI work?

Something like

Show me...

All sets in the number range ___ to ___
    in the theme ____
    released between ___ and ___
    containing between ___ and ____ parts
    and costing between ___ and ___
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    ^ Each criteria is optional, though, right? So I think it'd be good to have some way to designate this: check mark boxes, or the ability to move the filter from unused to a used list (and moved back)
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    edited May 2011
    ^^ You could take UI cues from online stores. The good stores let you filter products by brand, price, etc, etc. Here we have the same idea, different attributes.

So, more specifically, you can add collapsible filter categories to the right panel when you browse sets. Each filter would be applied iteratively. So, you click on filter by year, pick a year, and boom there you have a list filtered by year. You can then repeat the process to add additional filters. It would show you applied filters and allow you to remove them individually. You sort of have this with the narrow your search feature when you browse a theme. The change would be the cumulative application of filters, the ability to track which are active, and the individual removal of each. Collapsible menus keep things neat and not overwhelming.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 809
    Yeah, I would imagine similar to that (which is basically what Peeron has):

http://www.peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/setsearch

You could also include other stuff, too, like:

- Sets with X reviews
    - Sets with X overall rating
    - Sets owned by more than/less than X people

Etc.

Generally, I find that anything that CAN be used for a search probably WOULD be used in a search, but not necessarily all that often. Obviously, people are far more likely to be looking for sets with X pieces more X minifigs than they will for sets with X reviews or something-- they'll probably only search by reviews if they (say) remember seeing a set with more than 20 reviews, and want to know which it was, or (say) they want to see some sets they own that don't have any reviews yet so they can write one that'll be useful.

DaveE