Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Why are Legos so expensive. Story on NPR.

Comments

• MaskieBoyMaskieBoy Member Posts: 25
    Because TRU jacks up the price of most of what they sell?
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    That is a terrible article, full of errors and holes.

Most people here could have done a better job.

Which is why I find it so amazing that everyone actually believes much of what is in the news. Imagine reading a story that you're not an expert on, you just have to assume the reporter knows what they are talking about.

Most of the time, they don't.
    SirKevbagsdragonhawkSi_UKNZLegoDad42Scottlego667
  • Dread_PirateDread_Pirate Member Posts: 184
    $60 for 102 bricks!! What in the world store is she shopping at? That is a $10 set in other stores and about a $13 set at the TRU around me. A good price point is about $.10 to $.15 per piece. Sets like the Dino sets, cost a little above this price point because of the Dino. It is a piece (or pieces) that are exclusive to this line, they are printed, and have been glued and assembled at the factory before we even see them. All this makes the Dino sets cost more since they cannot spread the expence out over many sets. Still even the Licensed and Dino sets (which are the most expesive) still cost way less than $60 for 102 pieces.
    Duplo is what the reporter is using.

She picked out the worst possible example, without actually citing the example. Then she said some sets sell for thousands of dollars. As if TLG sold sets like that.

Terrible reporting, that reporter doesn't deserve the job.
    thornieLegoDad42
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,391
    ^ Most reporters today don't deserve their job...
    LegoFanTexasFurrysaurusLegoboyMatthewFollowsCloselytechnicaltacticsthelegoguy421beegeedee
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    edited December 2012
    The reporting could have been better. Also, the print version is worse than the audio version. I was wondering how LFT knew it was Duplo bricks until I listened to the audio.
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    edited December 2012
    Thinly veiled ad for MB.
    thornieOldfan
  • TheCultLeaderTheCultLeader Member Posts: 48
    I cringed several times while listening to this, especially the part where she asks "how hard could it be to make a cheap knock-off?"
    A cheap knock-off is easy, unless you want a rollie that don't tick-tock.
    Ball so hard, got some real blocks. Legos that go click-lock.
    Gurooo
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,691
    Another fault is she implies that lego only acquired the star wars license after mega bloks came into existence. They had it since 1999 way before the patent expired.
  • duilimduilim Member Posts: 61
    edited December 2012
    This reporter has to be kidding surely if (s)he thinks that Lego's success is due solely to the licensed themes. Any person who has played with Lego and then tried to build something with MB knows the real reason why Lego is ahead. MB is a cheap knock off and it doesn't take long to realise that it is quite simply, rubbish in comparison. End of story.
    Oldfan
  • iancam33iancam33 Member Posts: 407
    The biggest problem is the article came from NPR.
    Little3piggiesFurrysauruspharmjodthornieLegoDad42
  • itsnotmeitsnotme Member Posts: 110
    iancam33 said:

Oh boy, knew this was bound to veer OT at some point! This story is awful, but if I have to listen to something on the radio, I'm listening to NPR considering that the alternatives are cheesy drive-time shows, Ryan Seacrest or Rush Limbaugh (or someone just like them). Can't stand Kai Risdoll though.
  • iancam33iancam33 Member Posts: 407
    itsnotme said:

iancam33 said:

Oh boy, knew this was bound to veer OT at some point! This story is awful, but if I have to listen to something on the radio, I'm listening to NPR considering that the alternatives are cheesy drive-time shows, Ryan Seacrest or Rush Limbaugh (or someone just like them). Can't stand Kai Risdoll though.
    LOL. NPR isn't all bad. Just get sat radio. Then you can actually listen to music while you drive.

• BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    Did anyone notice that the article fails to answer the question it raises?

Did anyone notice that the article fails to answer the question it raises?

It isn't even really an article.

Granted, the reporter doing this story is doing what is called in the business a "fluff piece", so it doesn't have quite the same standards and review as front page news would, but there are errors here that a journalism student shouldn't be making in class, much less someone paid to do it.

Never mind the lack of a proper editor in most online news these days, much of the grammar, English composition, and even spelling wouldn't have passed my high school English class, much less College.

To all the young kids reading this, yes clearly someone who doesn't understand how to properly form a sentence can get a job, that this was written at all is proof of that, but consider that there are millions of people like me who will never hire someone who writes like this.

I have received resumes for job positions that involve computer work and writing documents that misuse "your" and "you're".

Seriously...

If you cannot even use the proper word, why on Earth would I grant you an interview, much less the job?

Side note: Yes, I'm aware my own posts here are not perfect, but I wouldn't hold the same standard here as I would in something trying to be passed off as journalism, much less something professional like a resume.

Know the time and place for shorthand, and the time to be perfect.

To anyone sending out resumes, please... Spend a few dollars and have it professionally written or reviewed. Having someone who writes resumes for a living give it the once over is worth every penny.
    thorniehleonffuT_Lars
  • chrisdojochrisdojo Member Posts: 168

Terrible reporting, that reporter doesn't deserve the job.

It IS NPR... comes with the territory!
    ^ Yes, but I see similarly bad reporting on CNN, Fox, etc. It is just amazing how low the standards have fallen, at least for online media.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,204
    She also doesn't understand the point of building blocks.

If you want to build a Death Star out of plastic blocks, Lego is now your only option.

That is clearly untrue. You could build a Death Star out of any plastic blocks you like. You might not be able to fill it with Mega Bloks SW figures, but you can still build it. You can build anything out of any blocks - that is the point of a building block system - you are only limited by imagination. Granted it would probably fall apart if build from Mega Bloks, but that is a different story.
    Oldfan
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    Lazy article. Picking on Lego because it's expensive is pretty easy. She could of at least gone after the over priced Star Wars sets like Jabba's Palace. One could also dig a little deeper and go after the over abundance of licensed themes where sets are designed around minifigs and scenes and creativity is limited. Or how they have dumbed down instructions. Lots of things, but she fails to even try.
  • chrisdojochrisdojo Member Posts: 168

^ Yes, but I see similarly bad reporting on CNN, Fox, etc. It is just amazing how low the standards have fallen, at least for online media.

Right. It's the whole "we gotta have a headliner to increase viewership!!!", which opens it up to "when there isn't a headliner... MAKE ONE".
    ^ This is of course the problem with "for-profit" news...

They have incentive to create drama where none really exists, to drive a divide between people to create "sides", and to hype up events beyond reality.

And of course, if there is no story, you must find one, or invent one.
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    Lego is very expensive as far as toys go.. $100 for 900 pieces, and small pieces that kids will likely lose very soon. Bad article, but not totally wrong.
  • Dread_PirateDread_Pirate Member Posts: 184
    Well for the price we do pay for Lego I feel it is all worth it. Lego is not just the toy on the box, it is thousands of creations depending on the owner of the set. I feel that kind of creativity is worth the $.10 - $.15 per little piece.
  • OrangechefOrangechef Member Posts: 7
    Story may be off but I think LEGO needs a lot more scrutiny on why they're raising prices and where the money is going.

Did you know that in 2011 LEGO had:
    - a gross profit margin of 70.5%?
    - a net profit margin after taxes of 22.2%?

The company will by now have already issued the yearly dividend to its parent holding company KIRKBI A/S (a company wholly owned by the Kristiansen family), an amount which was planned to be over 500 million dollars (which is 16.6% higher than last year's dividend).

This dividend is in addition to the royalty that LEGO pays KIRKBI for the use of the LEGO trademark, and any other fees that LEGO pays KIRKBI.

Did you also know that among the other divisions of KIRKBI is "LEGO Security", a company that in addition to providing security services to the KIRKBI holding and estates "also handles security issues for a number of external clients".

This is all information from their annual report and from their own websites.

Story may be off but I think LEGO needs a lot more scrutiny on why they're raising prices and where the money is going.

By whom? Why?

Man, I wish I had those margins. My profit margin after taxes is closer to 15%.

I guess the question is... What is the issue?
    StuBoy
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 517
    I did enjoy the parts when she was interviewing the 9 year old boys. I was quite impressed with some of their observations.

"If you were talking to a friend you wouldn't say, 'Oh my God, I just got a big set of Mega Bloks,' "

I laughed out loud. How true. How very true.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,691

To anyone sending out resumes, please... Spend a few dollars and have it professionally written or reviewed. Having someone who writes resumes for a living give it the once over is worth every penny.

I am. Can you send me some links? When I do a web search they tend to come up with really iffy looking websites.

This dividend is in addition to the royalty that LEGO pays KIRKBI for the use of the LEGO trademark, and any other fees that LEGO pays KIRKBI.

Did you also know that among the other divisions of KIRKBI is "LEGO Security", a company that in addition to providing security services to the KIRKBI holding and estates "also handles security issues for a number of external clients".

This is all information from their annual report and from their own websites.

That's because as far as I know the family own the name Lego as a seperate trademark and patent. Its also a great way to make a bit of cash. You say all these things like it's some terrible crime. Of course they are going to have security for their site. They won't just let anyone in.

If you are suggesting Lego should use that money to lower prices. My question to you is this: why?
  • malloonmalloon Member Posts: 24
    edited December 2012
    If I hear her say 'Legos' one more time I'm going to scream!

Though I could agree that the Star Wars license may have revived them. As a recall profits around that time were declining.
    Redbullgivesuwind
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,707
    The story was quite disappointing. While it did seem willing to forgive high LEGO pricing, the fact that their main sources were grade-school-age kids was tremendously sloppy journalism, and it is frustrating that they repeat the simplistic narrative that LEGO Star Wars was the deciding factor in TLG gaining an edge over their competitors. While LEGO Star Wars raised the company's profile, it didn't get the company out of their financial slump due to the royalties it cost and due to less superficial factors in the company's financial struggles around the turn of the century. And there was little mention of TLG's in-house IPs that have been a major source of revenue for the past decade.
    ^ Thanks for that insight into LEGO Security, that is pretty cool that they do that.

It sounds to me like LEGO is a nice company to work for that takes care of its people and the community around them.

Perhaps other companies around the world could follow that lesson.
    dougtsBrickDancer
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    I do think LEGO is one of the best comapanys out there, friendly and if you're missing parts they give it to you for free
  • dr_tengdr_teng Member Posts: 101
    This is some really interesting insight into the LEGO company!
  • shadowhearthshadowhearth Member Posts: 6
    fail report is fail report. they love to bash videogames, but i see lego is a new target. :(
    Lego is so popular, because of the very good few reasons:
    a) quality.
    b) no major design changes, only improvements and additions of new blocks. even the old block from 30 years ago will fit perfectly with a brand new block.
    c) great themes, which can benefit from each other. something like lego city can be easily used with something from lego technic range. both completely different themes and still work perfectly together.
    d) i dont know any other constructor like lego technic, which introduce such vast posibilities.
    e) Lego is just Lego. it will go from generation to generation. I bet a lot of parents have given their lego legacy to their children. I remember my old lego ( which is lost to me now :( ) and how much fun i had with it. i decided to come back to lego at 26 and got myself lego technic sets. same parts, same stuff, same fun, only BIGGER, MORE complex, MORE advance.
    f) price is a very very complicated number. being a gamer i know that i can spend 60-80eu on one game. and that is not a once a year purchase! i bough a lego for 59.99eu with 900parts! for me its a huge bargain compared to other entertainment stuff.

Btw i loved how in article they mentioned silly themes megablocks offer. Lego did a great job by snatching Starwars, lord of the rings franchises. These franchises would be the biggest income for them as it would appeal to a lot of adults, who droped their lego roots.
  • CortezCortez Member Posts: 19

Very interesting. That's some very healthy numbers.

• CortezCortez Member Posts: 19

Lego is so popular, because of the very good few reasons:
    a) quality.

As someone who first had LEGO a quarter of a century ago and has returned to the fold, I will point out that the quality plummeted at some intervening point (and it's not false memory, I found my mother had some of my old bricks and I was able to confirm my suspicion). Some bricks in models I have feel like a cheap LEGO knock-off. Indeed, when I first got an order from Pick-a-brick I thought they had sent me some Mega Bloks.

Design quality, however, is of course excellent and getting better every year.