Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

LEGOLand Florida - what should I be looking for?

I'm going to have the opportunity to visit (and shop at) LEGOLand Florida on Friday.

Any advice on the "must see" attractions (for adults and or kids)?
What should I be looking for in the store at LEGOLand? (Exclusives?)

Any input would be appreciated - because I'm not likely to get back there any time soon!

Comments

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,239
    The Discovery centers and LEGOland parks usually have a decent selection of polybags that might not be easily available anywhere else.
  • avoiceoreasonavoiceoreason Member Posts: 224
    ^ but they don't have any exclusives. But @graphite is right, they do sometimes have some harder to find polys. The one unique thing they do is, like all parks, they take your pictures on rides, and one of the options is to have it printed onto Lego. The set is reasonably large at maybe 7"x9" and even comes with a minifigure. I never, ever, buy those pictures, but this sucked me in, and I'm glad I forked over the $29.99.

As far as rides, the Coastersaurus is fun. The Technic coaster is so-so, and the flight school is reasonably entertaining. The Adventurers shooting ride is pretty fun.

Hopefully it won't be too crowded for you, as waits for the rides could be just depressing. We went on a day that it was empty, and I still couldn't believe the kids actually waited 15-20 minutes for the Safari or Driving School (both duds of rides). On crowded days I would have to believe that the lines would exceed an hour. They clearly don't know how to move people like Disney.

Overall, just make sure your expectations are set. The rides are made for 5-8 year olds. I think their target is 5-12, but no 12 year old is going to be excited by the rides at this park. Get there early and go immediately to the coasters/popular rides, then just relax the rest of the day and visit Miniland, watch the 4D movies, and catch the water show.

Have fun!
  • pvancil27pvancil27 Member Posts: 588
    I havent been there since it was redone as Legoland, but take a small bit of time and walk around whats left of the Gardens area too, it's just plain beautiful there.
  • LegoPodcasterLegoPodcaster Member Posts: 115
    The Miniland and the 4D movies are really cool.
  • StyerStyer Huntington, WV, USAMember Posts: 73
    I had never been to a LEGOLand before, so this might have colored my perception, but I thought the large scale LEGO sculptures were really neat. I've seen human-sized sculptures at Star Wars Celebration and maybe a gaming convention or two, but nothing on the scale or in the numbers they had at LEGOLand.

The rides really are on the slow side, but I'm not a huge thrill ride guy, so that didn't bother me, but if you're a big theme park goer, it might not be so cool.

The LEGO stuff is spread out all over the park in different stores, though there's one store near that exit that has most of what's in the other park stores, but not everything, so if you see something you feel strongly about in a store far from the exit, go ahead and pick it up.

Also, the park employees have minifigs on their name tags. Take at least one minifig with you to the park because you can trade with the employees. I'm not sure if the trades are mandatory, or not.
  • jwsmartjwsmart Member Posts: 298
    Thanks for the tips!
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 762
    Have fun Will! Hope is jealous you got to go to Disney and I'd like to visit LEGOLand so have a great time there.
  • thebricksterthebrickster Member Posts: 63
    any thing that is exclusive to the park
    like a printed brick picture in the lego city area,linden[late scattered around the park,legoland sign,and many other exclusive sets
  • jwsmartjwsmart Member Posts: 298
    LEGOLand was fantastic. I spent about three hours wandering around miniland. Well worth it. They did have some discontinued stuff there, which was neat. Lots of holiday polybags. Of course, they had the LEGOLand minifig magnets & keychains, but not much else. Coastersaurus was awesome.

Thanks to everyone for the tips!
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 946
    I just took the five kids. Mini land was great, the rest of the park was a huge disappointment, and I had low expectations. It may be because we samwiched legoland I between Disney parks, and there is just no comparison. The staff was unfriendly, the attractions run down and the magic was not there. Mi island was cool though.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    At Windsor they used to have a "bargain tent", but I don't know whether they have an equivalent in Florida. Come to mention it, I don't even know whether they still have it at Windsor any more.
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 743
    I took my youngest to Windsor at October half-term. We certainly didn't spot a bargain tent - or any bargains. And no VIP points at Windsor.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    I think the 'discount' shop was moved inside the Discovery Centre (? the building that is now the Star Wars miniland), but it could well be that it has been replaced by something else.