Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Selling sets with no minifigs

BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
edited December 2012 in Buying & Selling Topics
I'm moving out of the county in February and have about 60 sets on display I'm going to break down and sell. I know pricing is against the rules here so I'm not asking a specific price, but is it ok to ask a general percentage? I'll be selling all the sets as a whole with instructions, I know I could make more individually but that's not really a concern and it's easier for me. Does 10%-20% per set sound right for used sets with no figs? If this is against board rules, I apologize and please delete.

Comments

• BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    Ah, meant to put this in Buying and Selling. My bad.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    It's really going to depend on the sets. If they're licensed, expect to take a big hit without the minifigs. The 'run-of-the-mill' LEGO people won't have as big an impact for the most part.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    Where did you get the idea that pricing is against the rules? I'd recommend putting what you're looking to make from them roughly, then posting in Marketplace.
    Oh sorry, I thought it was against the rules to ask for prices on things. I thought I read that somewhere on here, but maybe I just made it up.
    y2josh said:

It's really going to depend on the sets. If they're licensed, expect to take a big hit without the minifigs. The 'run-of-the-mill' LEGO people won't have as big an impact for the most part.

Ya, I figure used sets without figs have very little value. There are some large sets in there like Hogwarts, Helms Deep, Jabba's Palace, and such. I'm just wondering if roughly 15% is accurate or not. It's my pet peeve to see people highly overprice their items just because they own them.

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,589
    It's frowned upon to comment on other people's asking prices, but A-OK to put the prices you're looking for in the first place.
    Ok, I just didn't want to offend anyone by asking more than what it's actually worth. Don't want to end up on the ridiculous EBay auction thread!
  • jocappyjocappy Member Posts: 207
    Depends on the sets like stated earlier, check eBay completed listings loads of people sell sets without the figures.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Why not throw out a low-ball figure on a set or two and we can give you feedback as to whether or not you're over or under-pricing yourself? Just note that it's not an actual sale listing, just a estimate evaluation by the community.
    I was thinking in the $20 range for Jabba's Palace and Helms deep?
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    edited December 2012
    ^ Helm's Deep sounds a bit under-priced to me. (I'd definitely buy it for that price though! :-) )
    I would guess you could get ~$30 for the Palace (assuming it's the 2012 version) and probably between $40 and $50 for Helm's Deep... but I'm just spitballing.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,011
    List your sets, I suspect they ay go fast.
    I've got 4 more sets to build and I'm done.. Hobbit- Goblin King, Hobbit Barrel Escape, SW Sith Infiltrator, and TMNT Shredder's Bike. I'm working on the list tonight.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,557
    You'd definitely be underpricing if you went for $20 for Helm's Deep. I'd put $50, but will accept offers. Then give it a week and take best offer.
  • dr_tengdr_teng Member Posts: 101
    The thing with listing prices higher than you expect to get (even if you're taking offers) is that it works best if you have more time. Having until February to sell 60 sets might make that a little more tricky.
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    I would be interested in setting up a deal for all your lord of the rings and Hobbit sets without the figures. I need the parts to make mine bigger. Send me a PM and we can sort something out.
    I'm trying to sell them as a whole, it's less money but also less hassle. But if I can't I'll break em up. I have all 5 of the Hobbit sets and half of the LOTR.
    How many sets are we talking about here? Cause if it's mostly LotR and Hobbit, I'd be interested in the whole lot. I'll be curious to see what all sets you've got.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,267
    ^ first line of his post says 60 sets.
  • aimlesspursuitsaimlesspursuits USMember Posts: 207
    I'd be interested in Alien Conquest, Agents and Space Police III sets.
    graphite said:

^ first line of his post says 60 sets.

I somehow completely missed that. Ah well. If you don't want to break them up, I may still be interested, but I'll wait to see the list.
  • seonadancingseonadancing Member Posts: 92
    I actually don't care much about minifigs, i'm primarily a model maker so I just need the bricks. Let's say the average price of the sets is $15, that would be about $900, of $1,200 if the average price is $20. I'll just wait for the marketplace post for the list.
    Looks like it's more around 50 sets.. Getting all the set numbers now. Bigger sets include Black Pearl, Queen Anne's Revenge, Millenium Falcon, Helms Deep, Vampyre Castle, Jabba's Palace, Goblin King, etc..
  • mrtonytjmrtonytj Guest Posts: 214
    I'd be interested in the Star Wars sets..
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    I would be interested as well. Minifigs there or not doesn't bother me :)
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 987
    Curious....what happened to the minifigs? You keep those and selling the sets?

Also, you first mentioned that you have 60 sets to break down. Than later, you said you got 4 more sets to build. Why are you building if you said you are breaking down?
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,011
    Just use my collection here on brickset to list your sets, post us a link, and you should have a dozen or so bids in a day.
    1265 said:

Curious....what happened to the minifigs? You keep those and selling the sets?

Also, you first mentioned that you have 60 sets to break down. Than later, you said you got 4 more sets to build. Why are you building if you said you are breaking down?

Yes, I'm keeping the minifigs because theyre small and I'd like to continue my hobby in Australia. I just don't have the room to ship the sets across the world. I have 4 more sets that I've bought, and I'd like to build them before selling them. I like to build, and I'd like to get the figs as well.

I'm hurrying, been working a lot and also been taking down a saltwater fish tank. Should be ready by this weekend.