Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Exchanging colors?

StyerStyer Huntington, WV, USAMember Posts: 73
Is there a standard term in the LEGO community for building a set according to the instructions other than exchanging elements of one color for elements of another? I believe I've seen that in pics online with 3177-1: Small Car, but that color change was never really mentioned, so I couldn't pick up a term from context.

Doing this strikes me as something less than a MOC, but still something people might want to show pics of online. I'd be curious to see pics of this sort of thing as inspiration.

Comments

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,247
    It is still kind of a MOC. Just a simple form of it, since you created the color combination. I don't think there is an official term but a "re-color" is pretty common. Many people redid the coloring of the VW Bus and I did alt colors for Cafe corner and Green Grocer.
  • StyerStyer Huntington, WV, USAMember Posts: 73
    Hmm. Yeah, I suppose it is at the very least a sub-category of MOC. I'm going to try Googling "re-color" and see what that turns up.

What prompted this question was seeing the Haunted House and thinking how it is a color change away from being a really great Wayne Manor. That's over ambitious to say the least, though, so I was hoping to see some more manageable re-colors.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,247
    If you want to "see" it in recolor options to see what you like there are two ways I can think of.

1) take the image and in photoshop replace the color.

2) build the model in LDD. Then you can use LDDManager to give you a list of all the available colors that have all the parts of a particular color in the model. Using the select by color you can isolate all the parts of a color, move them from the model, copy them, recolor them all, then move the recolor into the model to see it in a variety of colors. Building the model takes a good bit of time.

#2 is what I did to do my Cafe corner and Red grocer.
    Do you have pics of those re-colors posted anywhere?
    LadyLovesLegos
    Love the Red Grocer! Though it still has the details of a storefront on the ground floor, the upper levels bring to mind a townhouse. That's the power of a color swap.