Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The forum is now officially live!

HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,457
edited May 2011 in Brickset.com
At yesterday's Brickset symposium, myself and the staff members present ( @Martin, @atkinsar, @DrDaveWatford) decided to officially launch the forum.

It's been in beta for around 2 months,during which time we wanted to determine whether (a) it would be a fun and worthwhile place to hang out, (b) it would have a positive or detrimental effect on the main site and (c) if we could moderate it successfully and without too much effort.

I think you'll agree that it is a fun and worthwhile place, which is partly because you're a great bunch of people who all behave and we don't have to do very much moderation at all, and also because there are some really excellent discussions going on, the likes of which you don't tend to find on other forums.

Personally I can't now imagine Brickset without it, and visiting it has become part of my daily routine. We did wonder at first whether there was a need for it, and whether there was room on the 'net for another LEGO forum, but I think its success so far has proved that there is on both counts.

The age limit will remain at 16, which is definitely one of reasons the forum is such a success, and for that reason I won't be announcing going live on the main site as it will only cause consternation among those under that age and a barrage of comments.

So, welcome to the Brickset forum, which is here to stay!

(I've posted this in 'brickset.com' and not 'announcements' to enable you to comment on it.)

Comments

• atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Great news, I can't imagine Brickset without it now either. Thanks to all the forum members for making it a great place to hang out.
  • pantenkindpantenkind Member Posts: 258
    I agree, I used to check the site maybe once a week. Now I am here a couple times a day (usually in the morning before work, after work at some point and sometimes even before I go to bed). I honestly had not even given any thought about the possibility that you would not continue the forum, but either way I am glad you are.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Great news!
    It had crossed my mind that you may decide not to continue it, but I'm very glad you decided to keep if going. Of course it might change over time, but right now it's a great community that I'm glad to be a part of.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Hey @Huw, just a reminder (just in case you'd forgotten to add it to your To Do list), now the forum is here to stay, can you implement the hover over menus and auto-lookup on the search box please.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,457
    I'll see what I can do...
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 766
    This newer feature of Brickset is one that keeps me at the site much longer than the main site. Seeing that the discussions are generated by site visitors along with admins there is a greater sense of ownership for the website, the forum feels like it belongs to all of us, not just the admins.
    Users have generated excellent content that keeps me coming back for more. Much like pantenkind I now visit several times daily opposed to maybe once daily before I signed up for the forum.
    Yet another example of why this website is the premier gathering place for AFOLs, LEGO set news, LEGO sales and community interaction.
  • PaulTRPaulTR Member Posts: 115
    edited May 2011
    With the Forum now officially launched, I consider Brickset to be the most useful LEGO community website on the internet. Nuff' said :)
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 255
    I think congratulations are in order. Good work! I'm glad it's such a succes that the forum is here to stay.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    I just want to say a quick 'thank you', this site is my number 1 LEGO website and the forum is a large part of that, it is great being able to chat/discuss with other decent and like minded individuals.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    What's funny is that this wasn't the first or even 2nd forum architecture that we tried but I think we definitely chose the right one. Much like others, this site now monoploizes almost all of my alotted internet time. :o)
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Brilliant news. The arrival of the forum coincided with me coming fully out of the dark ages, and I can't imagine having done it without the discussions and knowledge of the collective bricksetters! I've not been to other lego sites, but as others have said, Brickset's forum is now part of my daily online routine.
  • LuciusMalfoy7LuciusMalfoy7 Member Posts: 107
    Fantastic! Thanks to everyone for keeping such a high quality of discussion!