Which is better? Space police I, Space Police II or Space Police III

Sherlock Bones here!

I'm thinking of getting some of the older LEGO sets, I have a set budget of £20 and looking over I would like to know what SP line to get, With the SP I series you got the older and best Blacktron design, yet with SP II I love the 6897 Space snoper from pictures it looks massive, then we come to the SP III line up, they look nice, but I dislike some of the Alien designs, apart from the ones which have Predator like masks...

So with that in mind, what should I get?

Comments

• sheppshepp Member Posts: 13
    edited December 2012
    Honestly, I'd suggest getting SP II and SP I. Colours aside, the vehicle shapes tend to blend better with each other. I really like SP II's modular prisoner pods that came with the Rebel Hunter, Solar Snooper, and Galactic Mediator. Space Police I also had modular prisoner pods, but of a different style construction (and I've never seen or built any firsthand).

I liked the Rebel Hunter when I was a kid, both in it's carrier mode and its more compact pursuit mode. And as an added bonus, if you start in pursuit mode and then stretch out the back end, then compress it again, it looks like its going into warp drive and stretching out like on Star Trek. Oh the memories.

SP I and SP II blend well with older sets like Ice Planet 2002, Spyrius, Blacktron 2, and RoboForce.

Go for the SP III sets if you're looking to blend them in with more modern sets like Mars Mission, Galaxy Squad, and Alien Conquest.

Personally, if space and money and time were unlimited to me, I'd get them all.

Hope that helps.
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    Thanks, this is a big help, I do love alot of the older sets
  • givmellisgivmellis Member Posts: 23
    I agree with shepp. I have a couple of SPI and SPII from my childhood days, and I personally think the colours, design and variation of ships is better in SPII than SPI. I also agree that it is worth getting both though (in a world with infinite money of course ;) ), as they each have their charms!
    I might just go with the Solar snooper, I love it! it looks so massive, does anyone know how long it is in inches?
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,805
    I think SPI has the nicest prison pods by far, but I can't speak to the quality of the sets as I have never built them myself. Personally, my favorite is SPIII, which really evokes the "police" aesthetic consistently and to great effect, and which has some very creative villains. But depending on which other Space themes you have, its modern aesthetic might not fit too well.

Still, SPIII is my personal recommendation, followed by SPI and finally SPII (which is my least favorite).
    The only space set I have is 6989 so I might just go with SP II
  • Dread_PirateDread_Pirate Member Posts: 184
    Personally I prefer the SP1. Maybe it is because I grew up when they were new and I have a few of them. I prefer the SP1 colors, the black, blue with red windscreens and I like the red visors on the Minifigs. The modular prison cells are great and they are an easy build that gives you a couple of really nice parts for other builds. While the minifigs were nothing really that special, just a futuron chest piece, black hips, white legs, white helmet with a red visor and black tanks. This is not that far from the black futuron character that had all black legs and black hands instead of white hands. Simple yet a noticable difference to the other non SP minifigs.

I also like the BlackTron from this era as well. Modular designed ships that could interlock modules from other ships to make larger or different designed ships. I liked the black uniforms and visors along with the fact that the BT in this era are all human.

I can say that in the SPIII series the large ship set 5974 Galactic Enforcer, is one of my all time favorite Lego space craft sets. Now I just need to get one at a reasonable price!

• prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,876
    Blacktron 1!!! Oh wait, that wasn't an option. So we'll go with SPII...
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    I agree with others about SPII - the Rebel Hunter is awesome, I love the modular prisoner pods too.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    It's all down to personal preference, so it's an impossible question for anyone to answer for you ... That's why we discourage posts like this ...

Having said that, my personal fave out of the three is SP1. I feel that the sets in this theme are more 'cohesive' than the other two, and they look great displayed together. I love SP3 as well (but it is a different beast, not least because it includes the bad guy sets as well), but I've always felt that SP2 was a bit 'meh'. Bought all three themes as they came out originally :-)

Blacktron 1 for the win though.
  • jwsmartjwsmart Member Posts: 298
    I would say that Space Police I is the best of the three - as a complete theme. It's also the easiest to complete, as there were only six sets - all of them excellent. A lot of the parts used in SPI are quite common, and can be had fairly cheaply. Building the smaller sets from parts on Bricklink is quite doable.

SPI has ships, ground vehicles, and a base. SPII doesn't have a base, which (in my mind) isn't ideal. The SPI color scheme is also simpler (Black, Blue, Trans Red) than SPII (Black, Grey, Red, Trans Green).

@bluemoose, couldn't agree more: SPIII is an entirely different animal. It's the first Space Police theme where they include the baddies (other than the occasional prisoner in SPI & SPII).

You would really need to compare SP1 & Blacktron with SP2 & Blacktron II with SPIII.

In that case? SPI & Blacktron all the way. That being said, I probably spent a few hundred dollars on SPI and Blacktron when I came out of my dark ages - but I now own a complete set!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,799
    It's got to be SP3. Just for the limo and pimp.
    Penkid11
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    I made the sp1 base in sp2 colours which was great, if I say so myself. It's a lovely base. But as others have said Blacktron 1 is far better.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 621
    I have all SPI, SPII, and SPIII sets. I agree with all above about how these themes group best with their contemporary cousins, both in style and in set design. Taken within that context, I like all 3 themes for what they are.

SPI is my favorite color scheme, and the vehicles just seem to look more elegant and streamlined. SPII just seems to have a more blocky design, a reflection of some of the new parts that came out around that time. But, the SPIII #5985 is my favorite overall SP set and is exactly what I was looking for in a space police base (holding cells, command post, sensors/defense weapons, ground transport dock, speeders; lots of neat stuff). Maybe I'll remake it with the SPI colors someday, if I can find all those windows in trans-red...and I'll keep the "sniffer frog"!
  • RykeerRykeer Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2012
    I received all of SP1 and most of SP2 (except for #1916 & #1969 since those came with other themes and my parents didn't want to get me started on more :) ) as gifts while growing up. Anyway, I did like the lighter colors of SP2 better, but I think overall, I liked SP1 best, particularly the uniforms, like @Dread_Pirate. That being said, my favorite of SP1 was definitely #6781 SP-Striker (and not because of the lights, but that was a great feature). I liked the design much better. It felt solid, and held up well during play. #6986 Mission Commander was nice, but I was constantly having to repair it during play; mainly because of the lasers easily coming off. In SP2, though, my favorite was #6984 Galactic Mediator. It was also one that felt very solid and held up well. But it didn't have nearly as many lasers (probably because of the problems they had with #6986 ). I do remember being disappointed with the fact that they never released a base for it either. I was just starting to come out of my dark ages when SP3 came out, and thought about getting them, just to complete all the SP series', but I just wasn't that impressed with most of them. Mainly because, like others here, of the aliens.