Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

How do you separate minifig keychains?

monte_netmonte_net Member Posts: 95
edited May 2011 in Everything else LEGO
Does anyone know how to remove the minifigs from the key chains?

Many thanks.

Comments

• zaxter2001zaxter2001 Member Posts: 35
    edited May 2011
    I ended up getting a Santa keychain for free with a purchase from TRU about a year and half ago and didn't really want the keychain part of it. So i just took a pair of pliers and pulled apart the first ring that attaches to the minifigure. Although there is still a down fall to do thing this as you have a little metal circle on the top of the minifigures head, and the minifigure is stuck assembled. But otherwise, a pair of pliers will do the work easily.
  • burakki62burakki62 Member Posts: 46
    I use a low power soldering tool, by placing it inside the little loop at the top it heats up the screw enough to pull it out. although obviously you have to be really careful.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,626
    Like burrakki said, I found the soldering iron technique simple and effective. Bought a cheap one from a hobby store, stick it in the loop on the fig's head (after removing the chain) and with a bit of pressure it should just pop right out (I guess by heat the loop and melting the glue/solvent keeping it stuck in). There's some vids on youtube as well.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    I use Enbric's link, only thing is you have to be really strong to just pull the ribbed piece of metal out. I thought I was pretty strong and could do it no problem but no, that thing is REALLY stuck in there. Using a soldering Iron is hard, and if you don't have one requires more spending on your part.

What I did is basically the same as the above link.

Clip off everything except the little metal loop on the head.

Wrap a paper clip through it.

Use some pliers to grip the paper clip.

USE A LIGHTER to heat up the pliers, (I had pliers really close to the metal loop so the heat transfer worked, you may have to experiment with the distance of the lighter, maybe even light the paper clip)

Slowly pull and when you feel it start to give, remove heat, and then reapply heat as needed.

Sometimes if you heat it up for too long the neck gets deformed and a little bigger, making it harder to put different heads on.