Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Building lego sets to perfection

kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 826
Do you guys over here build your lego sets to perfection, by that I mean do you make sure stickers are placed very neatly and accurately and do you also place the LEGO logo which is the stud on top of the brick which has a small print on it which says LEGO in the same direction e.g. Lets say some of the logos on top of the lego bricks all face in the same way if they can, and if they can't face in the same way you face them another way so they look neater rather than all of the logos being jumbled up and facing different directions. I've noticed that a few lego designers have done this to their models to make them look more professional and neater, (I hope this makes sense and I hope this topic hasn't been posted before, it would be interesting to see what your opinions and reasons are though)

Comments

• pcironepcirone Long Island, NYMember Posts: 346
    My OCD thing is 1x1 tiles, they have to be absolutely perfectly aligned or I can't sleep. Especially when part of a tiled floor like in the modulars or some of the architecture sets.

I never apply stickers but I suppose they would need to be perfectly aligned as well. :)

As for the Lego printing on the studs, I do catch myself sometimes noticing that they are not facing the same direction but usually try to ignore it as I feel like I am beginning to act like Monk...
    bobabricksVorpalRyukiki180703
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 826
    ^ You must have nearly the same OCD as me LOL, yesterday I built the architecture farnsworth house and that had about 238 1x1 white tiles it took me forever to sort out because I had to keep straightening up the tiles, I also built it with the logos all nearly facing the same way, I must say though it does look a lot better with the logos on the studs facing the same way (thats my OCD kicking in again) :)
    SumoLego
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,032
    Tiles lined up? Yes. Logos? Never thought of it. But now that you mention it, I'm sure I will pay more attention. LOL! You guys just ruined my carefree LEGO building with logos facing all over the place!...(c;
    jasorbobabrickskiki180703
  • BrianBrian Guest Posts: 87
    edited December 2012
    Tiles are a nightmare, yes. For the Grand Emporium, I allinged all windows with the LEGO logo print on top. I don't do it as much now.
    ^^ Glad to ruin someones building experience LOL :)
    I must admit though, if I did not put all of the logos in the same way I finish building my sets too quick so if you do it the OCD way it takes a much longer time but looks neater, I even make sure that all of the lego logos can point the same way (even underneath the tiles where you do not even see the logo but I still do it).

^ If you don't like tiles (1x1) I suggest you don't get the architecture farnsworth house, My OCD spree went on every single piece, including the logo's underneath the tiles.
    TyresOFlahertykiki180703
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 735
    OCD only kicks in when applying stickers, usually followed by swearing.

And yes, all tiles must be inline :-)
    JBricks27jasorMynattkiki180703
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    kez said:

Do you guys over here build your lego sets to perfection, by that I mean do you make sure stickers are placed very neatly and accurately and do you also place the LEGO logo which is the stud on top of the brick which has a small print on it which says LEGO in the same direction e.g. Lets say some of the logos on top of the lego bricks all face in the same way if they can, and if they can't face in the same way you face them another way so they look neater rather than all of the logos being jumbled up and facing different directions. I've noticed that a few lego designers have done this to their models to make them look more professional and neater, (I hope this makes sense and I hope this topic hasn't been posted before, it would be interesting to see what your opinions and reasons are though)

Tiles absolutely drive me nuts. The logos I could care less about. My father, on the other hand, absolutely does the logo thing, which I have always thought was a bit much, so I'm glad to learn that other people do it as well.
    pcirone said:

As for the Lego printing on the studs, I do catch myself sometimes noticing that they are not facing the same direction but usually try to ignore it as I feel like I am beginning to act like Monk...

It's a gift.

And a curse.
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 315
    I tend to align the windows but I broke the rules on the grand emporium. Every Window has a small sanded spot from manufacturing; I alternated the location of the sanded spot on the GE to ensure that it is always hidden behind the facade. I also sorted the Windows to find the ones with the least noticeable sanded spot and placed these on the corner windows that are not covered up.
    edited December 2012
    ^ You wacko :)

(where did i put that notepad..)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,500
    I know I shouldn't, but I do not consider a set built until the stickers have been applied. I use an exacto knife with a thin blade to place them or peel stickers from sets I bought to reset the stickers.. it is hard the older the set gets though as the glue tends to want to stay on the part, and not the sticker.
  • canuckcanuck Member Posts: 88
    *raises hands* Guilty as Charged.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    I won't be mentally paralyzed if I fail to do so, but often when I build a set that I know will be displayed, I'll take the extra time to line up the LEGO printing on the studs to be oriented in the same direction. This isn't as bad as it sounds because only a portion of the final model has exposed studs.

Others that build this way will know that it's usually not possible to have the printing in a single direction. For instance, if the build calls for slopes sloping left and sloping right, the direction of the printing is going to be different.
    I like to hear everybodys story's on here, there all interesting aswell as funny, I only recently just started to align all of the logos in the same direction unless like rocao said the slopes or other bricks had them on a different way, I started to do it from about May 2012 onwards, the main two reasons I do it is because last year I got all of the POTC sets and I managed to build all of them in 5 hours which is super quick so for that reason I now take my time making it perfect, but I also make sure the stickers are on right because for the same reason as GothamConstructionCo
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    I have found that you need to line up certain pieces the same way when applying them near each other - especially stacked - as they are otherwise not symmetrical. The palisade brick comes to mind primarily
    I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who does this :)
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    Stickers aligned - yes.
    Tiles aligned - yes.
    Logos - not yet....

I'm also similar to @Dougts - I have to align stacked 1x1 bricks so all the sides are flush, there's quite a lot of noticeable tolerance with those ones.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    For the 1x1 stacks, I typically just square them up against a flat surface. Doing this along the four sides usually gets them lined up perfectly.
    StuBoybrumey
    As an experiment I just took apart my perfectly aligned Big Ben and had my 10 year old rebuild it.. wow what a difference :)
    y2joshLegoFanTexasMasterLego
  • dehnehsudehnehsu Bay Area, Calif.Member Posts: 173
    I always align or center my Stickers very carefully. Sometimes you also need to adjust for Stickers printed slightly off center. I always wipe off greasy fingerprints with a Microfiber cloth and alcohol before the Stickers go on. I hate lint, dust, or stray fibers under Stickers! No mater how careful in prep, trapping specs of dust can always happen.
  • MilesMiles Member Posts: 51
    Aw. Reading this thread is like coming home.

Now where are my gloves?

;-)

(I blame the LEGO promotional photos for giving me something to aspire to.)
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    I have to force myself not to be too OCD, like these examples. XD I remember when I was young I used to get really picky about which (identical) pieces went where on my Bionicles...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,205
    I am another that aligns logos. I am getting better at not doing it for the hidden bulk, but the showing studs must still be aligned.

I am also getting better at not forcing the kids to do the same.

Stickers - very rarely applied.
  • sadowsk1sadowsk1 Member Posts: 124
    I usually build to perfection as described and once that is achieved I glue it all together to preserve it for all time. Just kidding. I keep at most buildings until it looks good. I've been avoiding stickers lately though, if a set looks good without them why bother.
  • NeilJamNeilJam USAMember Posts: 271
    I admit I will align logos when possible. I also make sure tires are mounted so the side with extra numbers is hidden. Of course, for what seems to currently be the most common tire, this leaves the side facing out as the one that has one of the grooves partially filled in.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,234
    Yes to everything, except the gloves. I'm not there quite yet. :)
    No I don't use gloves either but I do wash my hands with water before building to avoid getting my lovely clean bricks dirty :)
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    Stickers- Y
    Tiles- Y
    Logos- I will now ;)

• yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    edited December 2012
    Stickers: Yes (Instead of exacto knife I usually use a little spear or knife that comes in the set)
    Tiles: Yes
    Logos: I had noticed it and considered it but ruled against so figuring it was crazy and no one would possibly do it haha.

I also try to make the set EXACTLY as it's shown in the instructions. If there's a weapon lying on the the bricks, I try to put it in the exact location and angle as possible. But once I move the set to display then I place them where ever.
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    ^ This. The minifigs must be positioned just like in the instructions, etc. But then my daughter gets into it and they are put wherever. I always apply stickers (mostly) to complete the model as intended but do not pay attention to the logos (I might for SSD when I build it though after reading this thread).
  • gelkstergelkster MN, USAMember Posts: 535
    Stickers need to be applied perfectly.
    Logos need not be lined up.
    1x1 brick stacks (even if just 2 high) must be squared up.
    Tiles must be perfect.
    I dont use gloves.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548

Here's another one for you:

Whenever possible, I rotate an element so that no mould lines or divets show (you know, the little 'dots' on plates that smush the logo up, or on the side of small bricks, like 1x1's) where the piece was broken from the sprue or whatever makes it).

gelkster said:

*snip*
    Tiles must be perfect.
    I dont use gloves.

Yes I also align my tiles up so they look neat, also I don't wear gloves because that is just a bit silly, but I do wash my hands with water before building my new sets :-)
    legomatt said:

Here's another one for you:

Whenever possible, I rotate an element so that no mould lines or divets show (you know, the little 'dots' on plates that smush the logo up, or on the side of small bricks, like 1x1's) where the piece was broken from the sprue or whatever makes it).

I also do that, it's nice to know that most of us are so similar :-)

• CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,282
    edited January 2013
    Tiles and 1x1 plates need to be in line perfectly, and I use tweezers for applying stickers to prevent getting fingerprints on them, I usually don't have a problem getting them lined up nicely, but I do occasionally apply the sticker nicely with a self-satisfied grin and then realise to my horror that a bit of dust has got between the decal and the part I am applying it too. That gives me nightmares.

I am also with @legomatt in that I make sure as many of the tiny mould lines are hidden as possible. I do not go as far as pointing all of the Lego logos in the same direction however. I always like to build my models in a completely clear and clean space, I wash the table (or hoover the carpet for bigger sets) on which I build before I begin. Finally, and perhaps most worryingly of all, no matter how small or common the left over parts, I always go back through the instructions at the end to ensure I have not missed anything out.
  • gelkstergelkster MN, USAMember Posts: 535
    Yes tweezers are a great idea, both for applying stickers as well as grabbing pieces out of a tiny bin/compartment. As for the "dots" mentioned above, I also try to hide those, again especially on 1x1 stacks.
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,283
    Goodness! I'm beginning to feel guilty about how I build my sets!

My process:

1. Gingerly open the box................

2. Rip open the bags
    3. Build set, and put the pieces where instructions say too

I'm always enjoying the build process too much to consider whether a tile is perfect or not.

Although, I do have a quirk with stickers. Those things better be on straight, or I'm bothered for the rest of my life about it.
    beegeedeeMuftak1
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,522
    ^ this, and in addition I always make sure that any 1x1 plates, tiles or bricks are on straight.
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 315
    I use my fingers for most stickers but will sometimes use an exacto knife (easier for me to manage than tweezers). I usually place the stickers close to their final position and then once placed I rub the sticker in the direction it needs to move in order to reach its final home. I find it easier to rub stickers into position easier than attempting a perfect first placement (or removing and trying again). Rubbing also seems to remove most finger prints.
  • mrtonytjmrtonytj Guest Posts: 214
    I hate you guy's!! lol i now have to make sure all my "lego" symbols are lined up.. Why do this to me! I already thought i was pedantic enough without having to think about this too! LOL also, i have been looking at some of my already made set's and they are no longer as "perfect" as they used to be.. I'm going to have to pull them all apart and put them back together the right way!
  • beegeedeebeegeedee Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 380
    If my lego sets were for display I'd probably care more but I generally do what @samiam391 does even with more involved sets. I have a couple of plastic tubs that I drop the parts into and then build from there. I also use a couple of upside down mouse mats for a non-slip surface - works a treat.
  • RossyraRossyra Member Posts: 33
    edited January 2013
    I do align 1x1 tiles and I perfectly aligned the stickers using a scalpel to apply them on my Millennium Falcon 7965. I'd rather not have applied the stickers, but they were flaking of the sheet as soon as they were out of the packet. They really don't stick well at all compared even to ones from around 10 years ago. I'm constantly having to 'burnish' them with a fingernail to keep them down. I was very careful not to get any finger grease on them or the parts they were sticking on to.
    I just use my fingers to apply stickers but all stickers must be perfect/straight or I end up losing sleep over it :-)
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,958
    I actively avoid buying sets that contain stickers (unless of course it's an otherwise exceptionally awesome set).

Would love it if Brickset would display whether or not a set contains stickers :)
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    I don't apply stickers, I don't worry about the direction of the LEGO logo, and I generally don't even notice mold marks. I am very particular about the rotation of 1x1s.

Something I've noticed in MOCs, and even some promotional LEGO material, is elements that aren't fully connected. I'm not referring to cases where it is intentional, for example to create a bent tree trunk with 1x1 round bricks, but where bricks are slightly disconnected, resulting in a bit of space between them. This just comes off as lazy to me and I certainly make an effort to avoid it when building.
  • NickF22NickF22 United KingdomMember Posts: 421
    Old thread I know... but glad to find it and glad it's not just me on the LEGO logo direction though!
    When I think about it, my LEGO OCD is quite bad - boxes have to be opened as neatly as possible (eg thumb-push ones with a knife...), ditto for bags.
    I do apply stickers but as squarely as possible by eye. Have used fingers so far, but maybe an exacto knife is needed!
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,725
    ^ I wouldn't consider you have an OCD. What you have described is quite normal. ;o)
    NickF22kez
  • talostalos Member Posts: 49
    I just found this thread too, and yes, I have to make sure all the 1x1 floor tiles are aligned, and always square up everything by pressing against the table...haha! It does make a difference to me.
    Stickers, I thought about, and decided to put them on, only recently got anything with them. I have to use an exacto knife to apply them, I am terrible at getting things centered!
    I haven't ever thought about aligning all the stud logos in the same direction, I think my eyes are too bad to even see that! LOL
    I have to sort out all the parts before I start to assemble anything, everything has to be stacked neatly into groups before anything is snapped together. It easily doubles the time to build something, but that is a lot of the fun for me, I like to count and examine all the different parts and try guessing what place they all go into the set.
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 268
    I build them for accuracy. For example, I ended up building the 4431 Ambulance into a Type III ambulance, in order to accommodate much of the equipment an ambulance normally carries.
  • GreenArrow57GreenArrow57 GBMember Posts: 71
    kez said:

No I don't use gloves either but I do wash my hands with water before building to avoid getting my lovely clean bricks dirty :)

Doesn't everybody?!

kez said:

Doesn't everybody?!

Haha, I'm willing to bet in some cases that not everyone will wash their hands ;0)

• bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    I'm pretty OCD with 1x1s and stickers, it took me 3 hours to build the minecraft micro world D:
    BrickByBrick