Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Solid (14K) Gold C3PO

princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
edited May 2011 in Collecting
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what happened with the 5 Gold C3PO's? Were they all found? Have they ever been re-sold? What sort of value do you think they demand?
I assume they must be about the rarest and most valuable LEGO item ever.

Comments

• Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    I also wonder about the copper Boba Fett that TLG was giving away as part of May the 4th sales in 2010. I think they only made two of them. Where did they end up and how much are they worth?
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    If I recall, they were given to special clients which is probably shorthand for corporate affiliates. If that's the case, it's unlikely they'll hit the market since a) those people probably either prize them, b) forgot they have them, c) don't need the money to bother reselling them.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    edited May 2011
    Weren't those given away at some raffle at San Diego Comic Con 2010? Or was that something else...

Actually I think it was 3 variants of Boba Fett, one gold, one silver, and one....don't remember the last one.

*EDIT* Sorry don't mean GIVEN away, I think there was a raffle to determine a winner who could then PURCHASE them.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    edited May 2011
    ^ no I don't think so, it was a SW cube dudes set that was raffled at Comic Con 2010.
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    ^^I can clarify my statement. I said boba fett was copper and it was bronze. I said given away and only one of the two produced was raffled away. I am just wondering what ever happened to these.
  • l3go_dudel3go_dude Member Posts: 4
    princessdraven,
    I have one of the 14kt gold C3PO's, I found him in An Ultimate collector's Millennium falcon. Aparently the 5 minifigures were randomly inserted into packs during 2007, I am one of the lucky five to own one. my local jewlers values it at aprox £1000/£3000. it has a hallmark where you click him into the bricks. I am happy I finaly found somone who is curious about my findings. here is a picture of him. any questions about him then feel fre to ask guys!
  • fyrmedhattfyrmedhatt Member Posts: 128
    I know there was a member on a certain different board whose son acquired one in a contest, I think he ended up keeping it for the time being.

The valuation above is what I've heard as the value for the gold in the figure, these pieces are so rare I wouldn't be surprised if it's worth many times that, as it appeals to both Lego and Star Wars collectors, many of whom are quite well off.
    well this is just from a jewlers im sure a collector would pay a lot more than this. but I like to be the owner of one of the rarest 1 inch tall figures in the world! and being british it's very supprising that I managed to aquire this very rare, legendary item of lego history.
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,092
    @l3go_dude - Nice piece!! Any idea of the weight? Is it solid?
    solid gold, 14kt, aprox 1/2kg
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    @I3go_dude Wow lucky you!
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Very Nice! Congrats...
  • georgebjonesgeorgebjones Member Posts: 224
    Is that a solid gold one, or the chrome gold one? I thought the solid gold ones had the etched torso pattern and the chrome gold had the printed torso. But, then again, what do I know? Just curious.
    mine is etched aprox 0.05 of a millimeater deap but you can feel it all the same, good question m8. thanks for all ur nice comments. i am very lucky
  • Blue1dotBlue1dot Member Posts: 78
    Good on you mate!
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,704
    edited December 2011
    Do you have an actual photo as that is a stock one of a Chrome c-3po.
    This is what it should look like
    http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/SvL/Endor-Layout/0702011021a.jpg
    Etched as someone mentioned.

(The natural cynicism of the internet...)

I got that from this forum
    http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=57185&st=30
    KungFuKenny
  • SandroSandro Member Posts: 6
    Oh, there are a few problems here.

The 5 solid gold C-3PO were never packed in boxes, they were raffled off.
    The names of the winners listed in the Club Magazine:
    Andrew Hoffmann, Christopher Giancola , Elizabeth Jacome, Jason Masey, Chris Melchin

1/2 kilo of 14k gold would be worth about £10000 not £1000-3000.
    1/2 kilo of gold doesn't fit into a minifig sized object.

So yeah, pictures please.

KungFuKenny
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 908
    The internets tells me that 14k gold has a density of approximately 13-14g/cc. If you melted a C-3PO minifig down you'd probably get about 3cc of gold at the very most, so using this optimistic figure you have 3 x 13.5g = 40.5g of gold, which is ends up being worth about £782, or $1,211 on the market as it is today.

However, this is surely not so much about the value of material as the rarity of the item - and as one hasn't been sold yet (as far as I know) it's hard to judge - everything is only worth how much people are prepared to pay!
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    The boy who cried C-3PO? :o)
    FollowsClosely
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited December 2011
    If, as it would begin to appear, legodude is wasting everybody's time with a load of nonsense, does this suggest he is not mature enough to be posting in this forum? Proof is now indeed required. April Fools day this is not (yoda).

Or does he not know gold from plastic... or what half a kilo weighs?

Maybe I just got out of the wrong side of the bed today... but this is not the kind of rubbish I've come to expect at brickset. (Our brand of rubbish is something we can ALL enjoy! hah) :oD

But what will such a person claim next? Send us all on wild goose chases to stores for fake sales, post false ebay listings for other stuff he doesn't have, can he be trusted to keep up his side of a minifig trade?

Maybe he has a thousand Death Star's for sale.
    :o/

But I'm just being an old grump... baaaah HUMBUG!

(I just looked at his posting history - clearly joined the site to be a p*sstaker, notice the princeSS draven?).
  • 1360_M4573R1360_M4573R Member Posts: 1
    @l3go_dude I am a huge fan of all the rare Lego minifigures so I'd liable to buy your rare 14k gold C-3P0 off you for about £5000
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    ^ Really?
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^ Really?
    "Really?", that there's a potential deal going down between a "l3go_dude" and a "1360_M4573R"? Or "Really?", that somebody would pay £5000 for that minifig? Or "Really?", that somebody would offer to buy something from somebody who doesn't appear to be legit? Or "Really?", that this thread is continuing and hasn't been "sunk"? Or all of the above? :)
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    The latter :o)
  • bor2112bor2112 FloridaMember Posts: 321
    ^^lmao
    oh, am I allowed to say that on this forum?! If not, sincerest apologies!
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,837
    I don't know, but I found it faf!
    ^Ha, you are in far worse trouble than I ;)
  • EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    edited January 2012
    ^^^^^^ Haha, I think thread shouldn't be sunk purely for comedic value. :D
    ^^ Start the year as I mean to go on. KIDDING!!

I'd love to know the legit answer to Side's question though. :-)
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,742
    ^ So would I; it's the only reason that this thread isn't already toast....
  • collect_thatcollect_that Kidderminster, EnglandMember Posts: 1,327
    Really I was rather hoping for a bidding war on this rare item! ;-)
    ^ + ^^ Lol. I nearly threw £6k in just to get things rolling.
    edited January 2012
    ^ Did you consult a jewler??
    No, just wanted to make sure @LegofanTexas wouldn't be in with a shout.;o)
    But then again it was @1360_M4573R first post on his very first day, it would have been rude to not let him have it!!
    You've got a point, that would be rude of me not to entertain our new guest. I'll let him have it should he slip me the other grand to go away.

But we're all forgetting one thing. Wouldn't a minor prefer to keep his 'solid' *choke* minifig than take a few grand? He'll never go for it. Damn it! :'(
  • Jabba_the_TaffJabba_the_Taff Member Posts: 215
    How much does solid 14k gold sarcasm cost?
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    That, my friend, is apparently on the house.
  • JimHJimH Member Posts: 3
    well I can tell you for sure that the poster l3go_dude does not have one of the five solid gold figure. my son was one of the winners and I posted on the other forum inquiring about the value it might fetch one day. they were won by a random drawing and not placed into any special sets or the likes. pure fraud on his or hers part.
  • BrickbuilerBrickbuiler Member Posts: 8
    There's alot of ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ lol :D
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Or, it was a kid posting who didn't really think through his comments and was fibbing, and then didn't know where to go with it so he left.

Or created a new account and is just ignoring this.

If the poster is reading this, don't sweat it, we've all done something stupid at some point in our lives. :)
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Thanks for leaving the thread open .... made me smile at 9am on monday morning, and not many things can achieve that :)
  • AnseltheCatAnseltheCat Member Posts: 141
    ^ Agreed. Funny thing is I was reading this while on a train at... Dorking.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited February 2012
    ^ Wondered why there are no mice on the station.
    What brings you to my neck of the woods?
  • AnseltheCatAnseltheCat Member Posts: 141
    edited February 2012
    I work for a train company and one of our services terminates at Dorking. I used to spend a lot more time over your way when I lived in Woking and owned a 1200cc Suzuki, that seems like a life time ago now though.

I have a feeling Ansel prefers minifigs over mice these days, you should see the teeth marks in his!
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 609
    Yep, this thread is quite hilarious. Thanks for the laugh, @l3go_dude and your dupe account.
  • fyrmedhattfyrmedhatt Member Posts: 128
    edited February 2012
    The joke is on you guys....

JimH actually posted on this on Eurobricks: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=57185&hl=gold c3po&st=45

He actually seems legitimate, the pictures show it, and the names match up.
  • ThegoThego UKMember Posts: 264
    It's not @JimH's claim that they are laughing at. I think everyone knows he is legit. It's @l3go_dude's claim to own one.