The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Dark Age... of legolessness? Of lack of money? Of joy?

stickbug29stickbug29 United StatesMember Posts: 68
Ok, ok. I know I'm probably the one loser on this forum that doesn't know/can't figure this out, but what exactly are the "Dark Ages" when referring to Lego? If someone would answer this it would explain about 64% of what I've been reading here for the past several months :)

Comments

• samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,185
    I interpret the "dark age" as the time when the person is/was no longer interested in purchasing, building, or investing in LEGO sets of any kind. *gasp

Usually it doesn't last for long though :)
  • TheCultLeaderTheCultLeader Member Posts: 48
    I was into Lego as a kid and stopped having interest in them when I was 12 or so. I never really paid much attention to Lego again up until a year ago. That 13 year period is my dark ages.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    I think most Adult Fans Of Lego (AFOL's), didn't just keep building and playing with Lego from when they first had Lego as a Kid, a lot of us came back to it later in life. The period in between is generally known as the "Dark Ages"

I loved Lego as a child but from around the age of 14 till I was about 24 I do not think I touched Lego. When I was 24 or so I found the UCS Star Wars TIE Interceptor & X-Wing in a B&M store (I didn't, and still haven't built them) I got Yoda a year or two later, which I did build. Then over the next 7 years or so My Wife and I brought and built a total of only 3 or so sets until we got the Eiffel Tower in 08 which we did not finish building until 2011. It is really only the last year that I have gotten fully into Lego again, but my son (4 year old) has probably helped it along some what, so am not sure when officially you could say I came out of my Dark Ages, I suppose it was a long transition.
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    When my wife and I first got married and decided to start a family I sold all of my LEGO. We had a much smaller house at the time. We needed the space and money. For many years after I avoided the LEGO isle like it was cursed! I didn't want any temptation. I consider that period in my life a "dark age".
  • Dread_PirateDread_Pirate Member Posts: 184
    I dont know if you would call my period a "Dark Age" more of a Grey area. Here is why. I kept a couple of my models built and on display of some sort all through from my child hood till today. My Yellow castle has only been built twice. The first time was when I bought it from my mom's friend's son and it stayed built until December 2001 when I went into the Navy and that was to put it in the bin with the rest of my Legos for storage. Durring that time several models were in the bin still assembled and they are today still built and once again on display. I kept all my Legos from when I was a kid and only just reciently gave the bin of pieces to my son who is in 7th heavan over it.

Fast forward a few years and a really major tooth ache my wife bought me a Queen Anne's Revenge set as a get well presant. I loved it and she loved watching me build it. It took my mind off the pain that I was going through after I got the errant tooth pulled. Today I now have restored several of my childhood sets and purchased quite a few new sets. I have also found and restored a few no longer available sets that were only discontinued a few years ago. So yea I'm hooked! My son loves it too as I get down on the floor and build with him.
  • kwkwkwkw USAMember Posts: 1,138
    When I was a kid, from about 4 up to when I was about 12 I loved Lego. I still have fond memories of playing with the first Slave I, Gungan Sub, and Johnny Thunder Theme. Then came middle school and my dark age started along with puberty lol. Didn't even touch a lego from then till I was nearly 22 years old. Then by a miraculous chance I somehow stumbled upon the PoTC Black Pearl on Amazon, I don't know how it popped up on my amazon search or why, but all I know is that it brought me out of my dark age. I purchased that set, built it and fell in love all over again. I then started collecting more and more and couldn't stop. That Black Pearl purchase was in May of this year 2012. I now have 95% of every single set in current production (including every single one of the large/exclusive sets, and multiples of every SW battlepack), a ton of discontinued sets (Imperial flagship, Emerald night, All Kingdoms sets (X5 for some), HP Hogwarts Express, WV Toy Shop, All toy story...etc.) and over 400 CMF minifigs, and 60ish various polybags. I can barely walk around in my lego area cause its so packed with new unopened sets and stored built sets. It's been only about 6 months of collecting for me and I have no idea where I'm gonna put next years sets. So yea I definitely have an addiction lol :)
  • alldarkeralldarker NetherlandsMember Posts: 195
    I had what I feel are 'classic Dark Ages'. Spent every day playing with Lego from when I was 5 until I was 15. Then I lost interest in Lego and gained a lot interest in music, bands, and guitars. I sold all my Lego (pretty complete collections of Castle and Space from the periode between 1986 and 1992), to pay for my first electric guitar and amp.
    The next 9 years were spent Lego-less (although for some reason, I did still collect the half-yearly paper Lego catalogues), until one fateful day in 2001, I came across a picture of the 7127: Imperial AT-ST, with a Lego Chewbacca. My mind was blown: I wasn't that big of a Star Wars fan, but Chewie just looked so cool! Bought that set, and then came across the 7190: Millennium Falcon in the booklet. I ordered that set, from the toy store, and loved it. And from then on things once again went from bad to worse... (and with more spending power)!
  • carlqcarlq Ruislip Manor, MiddlesexMember Posts: 792
    I adored Lego as a small boy; I inherited many a box or bag of mismatchyed, often discoloured bricks from relations and family friends, and most Christmases would feature a small set of some kind. My best ever childhood Christmas - and I remember this fondly, over 30 years later - was when I received the yellow Castle set and spent my entire Christmas Day shut up in the back room building it. Money was always tight growing up - my childhood was mostly spent as part of a one-parent family in a council house - so Lego sets were a rare and exciting treat, and rarely bigger than the smallest sets available...which is possibly why my predelection today is for small, relatively cheap sets. From my mid-teens to my early 40s my purchases were seldom and almost guilty - my parents stopped encouraging me to "play" with Lego when I got too old(!), and my wife has zero interest in it - and then two revelations occurred; the twin discoveries of eBay's secondary market, and a forthcoming new idea called Collectible Mini Figures...

My minifig collection, both built and "spare parts" (my main interest is in designing my own characters, both from pre-existing parts and via small "adaptations" such as stickers, decals and now enamel paints), has grown to such a size in the last couple of years that I can no longer keep my reborn love of Lego concealed. This is both liberating - no more hiding bags of Lego under the spare bed - and difficult, as my wife hints that "surely enough is enough". God help me if she discovers exactly how many copies of the Sun I bought during the last promotion...
  • stickbug29stickbug29 United StatesMember Posts: 68
    Thanks for answering! I figured it was something along those lines, just wanted to make sure I knew what I was reading. :)