Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Befriending

clundsbergclundsberg Member Posts: 44
edited May 2011 in Brickset.com
So I hit that little checkbox to add a friend (they do the same)
Now what?
I'm not the best at searching around sites, so I'll apologize in advance if there is a thread or directions. I also understand what it's supposed to do (ie: enlighten me to my friends purchases and reviews) but how does it work? Do I get an email? Is there something on Bricklist that is highlighted letting me know?

Comments

• rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    edited May 2011
    @Huw could best answer this, but my understanding is that currently it is little more than a bookmark list of users. From it, you can e-mail them, view reviews they've written, view their collections and their wanted list. But all that is publicly available already if the user shares that information, so being friends doesn't enable any exclusive features.

I wonder if there is an interest in the ability to share some information with friends, as opposed to with everyone or not at all. My guess is there is.

I do see a lot of potential with the friend feature, particularly as a result of the strengthening of our community due to this forum. For one, it would be nice to be able to cross-reference collections and collections to wanted lists, both as a matter of curiosity and as a matter of trading.

Also, for those that aren't even aware of the feature: http://www.brickset.com/myFriends/
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,453
    There isn't much more than that to the 'MyFriends' feature -- just a way to bookmark your friends and view their collections etc. -- but it could be expanded considerably, as you say.

One day I'll get round to it :-)
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,258
    edited May 2011
    Admin I may be these days but I wasn't even aware of this feature....! The suggestion to cross-reference your collection with that of your friends (a bit like the feature in XBOX Live where you can compare your achievements with those of your friends side by side) has been suggested previously and I agree this'd be interesting and potentially useful for trading, particular if the quantity of a each set owned can also be shown when viewing someone else's collection.
  • clundsbergclundsberg Member Posts: 44
    Getting into social media is always like opening up a giant can o' worms as the possibilities are infinate. This is a field I know all too well from working at a major broadcasting corporation. In my opinion, for this site, I'd keep it fairly simple adding on what you have all mentioned above: Comparisons, duplicates, wish lists, maybe the option to notify when a friend is active in starting a thread, reviews, or receives a new set.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    edited May 2011
    Given the amount of trading happening in the forum and being talked about in the forum, enhancing the trade dynamics with the previously mentioned "Will Trade" box in the ACM seems like a natural way to go.

Database function, check. Publication function, check. Discussion function, check. Trade function..... uh, using what we've got but it isn't purpose built.