Full inventories now available

HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,441
Thanks to a 'feature' of LEGO's new replacement parts portal, discovered by the team over at The Daily Brick, Brickset's set inventories now include quantities of parts.

This makes the likes of http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=3920-1#ui-tabs-4 much more useful, and of course opens up all sorts of other possibilities I've only just stared to explore on pages such as this http://www.brickset.com/detail/inventory/?Set=3920-1 (a w.i.p.)

Inventories for about 4600 sets are available, although some are still not complete. A future development will probably be to enable people to verify and complete them, armed with the inventory sheet at the back of the instructions.

I hope you find it useful...
JBricks27aimlesspursuitssidersddmurphquakeCCCMinifigsMePenkid11AnseltheCatdavee123kylejohnson11coachie

Comments

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,128
    fantastic!!!
  • JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 674
    Amazing
  • BeardedCastleGuyBeardedCastleGuy Member Posts: 127
    Wonderful, this is a great addition to Brickset's functionality, it's exactly the type of development I was hoping for when the parts tab was added.
    Huw, I just want to say Thanks for the continued development that you add from both your own and others discoveries, it amazes me.
    MinifigsMe
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,441
    You're welcome :-)
  • sirrich69sirrich69 Member Posts: 455
    This is music to my ears. I have a load of LEGO, and am trying to sort into the sets. I have the instuctions, however some sets do not have the parts list in the back. A peeron or bricklink inventory on some sets is going into 15 pages, so this will just be brilliant. to have a quantity and the physical picture of the part and only 1 page on most sets, max 3 I have found so far.

Just brilliant.
    edited November 2012
    A satisfied customer! Don't rely on them being 100% accurate though.

"A satisfied customer. We should have him stuffed. "
    Basil Fawlty
    JosephMatthewplasmodium
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    I also wanted to express my thanks Huw. This is fantastically useful and is simply brilliant. I think now the ONLY thing that Brickset is missing is the ability to have multiple "owned sets" lists, and it will be complete in functionality. :)
    ^ That might be possible, but how would you see it fitting into the user interface without cluttering it up?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,796
    When you display "Sets I own" is it possible to display the number of sets you own of each. I know you can enter this data, but how do you display it?
    It shows the quantity in the edit box in the Collection column.
    ^^^ Well, let's see. One can add a set filter in the "Sets I own" sections (Table/Gallery/List) as seen in the example. This will not clutter things up too much. The lists you have can be managed on the "My Sets" tab somewhere. Default if people just add a set or don't bother setting up different categories.

The question then remains how to mark individual sets in specific list groupings without "cluttering it up" as you say.

Two options come to mind. On the set detail page where you put lots of information (when released, part counts, Weight, RRP, etc, you could add a little section around the "My Collection" and "Notes" sections. See example. Another option is to add another tab at the top so as to not clutter things up. So I would not put on the list/gallery/table views, but in detail where user can select a list other than default.

And as an added bonus, one could filter the statistic information (how many sets, pieces and value) on teh My Sets page, Sets You Own section.
    Also one would need a default of "All sets", not just default list as some sets may be in default but some in another list...but default one would want to see All sets.
  • coolpixcoolpix Member Posts: 357
    @Huw thank you for this feature! Brickset never ceases to surprise me with awesome features, and this is one I was wanting for a long time. Thanks again! I am a web designer myself and I am always marveled at how well this site is coded.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    This is a great feature, @Huw! Previously, I've always used Peeron for searching by individual parts. It has a lot of data, but it's not terribly fast or user friendly. Are you planning to eventually offer that service/amount of data within Brickset's much more user friendly system?
    As of yesterday you can search for individual parts but there are issues, mainly around the inconsistency/unfamiliarity of LEGO's naming conventions and even errors, e.g. http://www.brickset.com/parts/search/?query=2654 (Lide shoe/Slide shoe).

I'm open to suggestions as to what other features to add but I'm not planning on correcting or making changes to the data/names, which is collected automatically.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 809
    Woot! Are there any details regarding the "discovery" by The Daily Brick?

So, another question-- what happens when/if LEGO changes the inventory of a set on their online system? I assume you're storing the data on BrickSet (and not pulling it on the fly from LEGO)... But what happens when a set's inventory disappears, or a single element is added/removed/changes quantity?

As for the adding multiple lists without cluttering the interface-- one way of doing that would be to have a dropdown showing "The List I'm Currently Editing", so that only one would show up on a page at a given time. That way, the interface essentially acts the same as it does now (might want the "I own" text to change depending on the list).

That *would* be annoying if you had 2 lists and constantly were switching between them, but anything other than that essentially creates a clutter problem since screen space is limited and an arbitrary number of lists COULD get out of hand. If (however) you were limited to no more than (say) 5 lists, then other solutions might work without too much clutter.

DaveE
    Dave, I will PM you the details because it probably pays not to advertise the 'exploit'.

As for changes, I'm not dealing with them yet but I do plan to.

Thanks for the suggestions about multiple lists, something along those lines should be possible I guess. I'll see if the database will accomdate it and get cracking, probably in the new year now.