The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Tash4Toys - my take on Movember for children in Poverty

Hi All,

This November/Christmas I've decided to do my own twist on Movember, to raise money to donate to children in poverty for Christmas.

I'm donating them via a local radio station, Forth FM, who organise this every Christmas:

http://www.forthone.com/missionchristmas/

I'm not looking for donations, as I'm hoping family / friends / colleagues will donate, and it's a local cause.

I just wanted to see if others thought it was a good idea, as I'd love to see more people do it in their local area. I may even develop a tash4toys site if it proved a popular idea.

I made a blog that explains more: https://allyburns.wordpress.com/

My main concern is that Movember is about raising money for Mens Health, but ultimately people donating have the choice on which causes to donate to, and I'd like to think I'm not stopping people donating to mainstream Movember causes as well.

So far it's been well received, but I'd welcome your thoughts, and ideas, e.g. other plaes where LEGO toys can be donated to people in need - generally kids who ca't affor LEGO at all.

Ally in Edinburgh

Comments

• greekmickgreekmick UKMember Posts: 710
    Great cause although jumping on the same tash theme is probably not such a good idea. What about waiting until Movember is over and then doing a beard4bricks event instead.

p.s beard4bricks copyrighted :)
  • allyburnsallyburns Member Posts: 62
    @greekmick, thanks for the suggestion, although I guess the problem is that beards look cooler than comedy moustaches :)

I guess it could be an all out beard, no styling allowed. Some people may have problems getting away with it at work though, whilst they may get away with a tash in November :)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 16,666
    edited November 2012
    There are loads of local charities up and down the country. Some take toys to distribute for less well off kids, other take money and buy items. Everyone has their favourite cause, and we donate a few toys each year to a local kids charity. I've never been involved in the distribution of them, so I don't know exactly how it is done.

Our local cub / scout groups also have a church service where each kid donates a toy under a christmas tree. They are wrapped up by the giver, with a label with the recommended age and sex of the receiver. Again, I'm not too sure how they are distributed.

I don't know if companies still do this, but I remember as a kid in the 1970s that we used to give away probably 25% of our (old) toys before christmas to my dad's work who used to distribute them to local causes - less well off kids, womens' shelters, hospitals, etc.

As to your case, for me it's a bit too close to the Movember idea. Wasn't part of the reason of choosing a moustache that it is something that distinguishes men from women (old women aside), and thus focuses on men's health. Just like women have their moon walk with their boobs in their pink bras, which distinguishes them from men (larger men and their moobs aside). Both these of course not just raise money, but just as importantly raise awareness of the health issues. This is where the tash part doesn't fit in.

Of course, you can do what you like to promote the kids charity. But I reckon if people want to donate for the cause, they will donate with or without the tash. Here it seems to be just a bit of a gimmick, with no relation to the cause. No real different to having your head shaved or sitting in a bath of beans.

Anyway, good luck.
  • allyburnsallyburns Member Posts: 62
    @CCC Many thanks for your comments. I've been thinking about the clash with Movember.

I guess for me, I feel more strongly towards donating LEGO than to men's health, and I didn't just want to be one of those people who grows a tash in November just for the sake of it (I know of a few folk who do this!)

This means I have a valid reason to grow a tash in November, as I can raise money for a cause I believe in.

Of course men's health causes are important, so I'll try and make sure my donors are not forced to choose between one cause or another.