Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

TLG reclassifying sets as "Creator Expert"

DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
While I hadn't heard of the "Creator Expert" series of sets before the recent announcement of #10223 Horizon Express, it appears that TLG is reclassifying older sets as belonging to this series.

At the least, TLG now considers the following to be "Creator Expert" sets (this is not an exhaustive list):

10021 USS Constellation
10024 Red Baron
10124 Wright Flyer
10151 Hot Rod
10177 Boeing 787 Dreamliner
10181 The Eiffel Tower
10184 Town Plan
10197 Volkswagen Beetle

Interesting...

Comments

• spacefan6901spacefan6901 Member Posts: 17
    I only hope that they will not only have "Expert" Creator and "dumbed-down" Creator, and get rid of the "average / standard" Creator.

I've only been back from my Dark Age 3 years, and it seems that that sort of split may be happening. For instance the Creator sets from 2009 were WAY better than most of the 2012 Creator sets. It seems that the modular houses and large-scale vehicles and now "Expert Creator" is on one end, and simplified Creator is on the other end.

There needs to still be a middle ground so there is a continuum of building techniques for all skill levels. Otherwise the skill gap from the simplified Creator to the Expert Creator will be too large.
    Si_UKNZ
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 312
    I could not agree more. I came out of the dark ages with 5770 and got excited when I saw the older creator houses. Then my hopes were dashed when I saw the direction the series is going. If it gets dumbed down much more then it will likely begin to compete with the bricks and more series.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,326
    Im guessing Tower Bridge and Taj Mahal should also be on that list.

'Creator' to 'expert creator' and retroactively renamed old discontinued sets... sounds like someone at LEGO is trying to justify their salary by finding something to do. Sorry, just sounds kinda meaningless IMO to having this moniker. After all, isn't this wanted the age range on the Box is supposed to do, or can people not keep track of ages anymore?
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 857
    Do people even really look at the age ranges on the boxes? Maybe because I'm not their target audience (or am I) at age 38 I don't pay attention. But looking at the buyers in the stores, neither do the kids getting their parents to buy for them. Creator is just another sub-genre in LEGO, but definitely skewed towards more advanced builders.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716

... TLG now considers the following to be "Creator Expert" sets ...

I guess I've missed something? Have you got a reference for Lego recatagorising these old sets? Many thanks :-)

• Jabba_the_TaffJabba_the_Taff Member Posts: 211
    I'm wondering if the 'Creator' part of the title means we'll see these sets in a wider variety of outlets in the UK and not just Lego stores. Is the 'Creator Expert' moniker a step to wider availability? Here's hoping anyway...
  • DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    bluemoose said:

I guess I've missed something? Have you got a reference for Lego recatagorising these old sets? Many thanks :-)

I'm not sure how far it goes into their systems, but this is how I stumbled into it:

1: Go to www.lego.com
    2: Click on "Building Instructions"
    3: Type in a set number (for example 10024).
    4: The display will show you the set number, set name, and category.

My 10024 example shows:
    "10024 Red Baron Creator Expert"
    Si_UKNZ
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    I hope they keep creator and creator expert separate. I would be very disappointed if they did away with the alternate models on creator sets.
  • fitzyfitzfitzyfitz ManchesterMember Posts: 94
    ^^Interesting. All of the modulars are also listed as Creator Expert, as are Grand Carousel, Tower Bridge and Taj Mahal. I've found numerous large (1000+ pieces) Creator sets without the expert tag, so it does appear that there is a very deliberate division in play.