The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Questions About Store Displays...

I've always loved the LEGO displays that appear in stores as selling aids for new lines, but I'm afraid I don't know much about them. How they're manufactured, who does the assembling and where they originate from, ect. I separated my questions into roughly 2 groups, by store. Hopefully we've got some knowledgeable people who can shed some light on the topic.

1) Regarding retail stores such as Walmart, Target and Toys R Us, who is responsible for assembling the LEGO set displays? (The ones in acrylic cases that seem to be glued together.) They appear to be shipped pre-assembled to the stores, but where do they come from? And who has the awesome job of putting them together?

2) And regarding the LEGO Brand stores, I assume it's the employees who put together the models? Do we have any LEGO store employees who could chime in?

Comments

• jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    I helped make the store displays when the Lynnwood store opened. SEALug was sent the sets about 6-8 wks before opening. We divided up about 40-50 sets so everyone had 2-3 to put together. I got to put together Birthday Cake, Theater, Pool Party & Flowers. Then we got the retail sets they wanted put together. I got to do the QAR. After we finished with them, we had 2-3 days to take them up to store and put in display cases. It was pretty awesome to help out!
  • MilesMiles Member Posts: 51
    Wow! That sounds like a great opportunity! The Lynnwood store just opened fairly recently, didn't it?
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,357
    Yeah, they often have local LUGs put the brand ribbon models together and most of the initial retail display sets for LEGO stores. After that, it's usually store employees who put new retail displays together, I believe.

I have no idea where the displays at places like Target or TRU come from. I imagine they are made by LEGO and shipped through the distributor.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    Yeah it opened earlier this year. I enjoyed it alot. The only thing I can say is that brick counting in the sets they sent us was nothing like their perfection in sets for sale. LOL Almost every display set was missing 5-35% of the total bricks we needed for it.
  • MaskieBoyMaskieBoy Member Posts: 25
    jadedanc said:

Yeah it opened earlier this year. I enjoyed it alot. The only thing I can say is that brick counting in the sets they sent us was nothing like their perfection in sets for sale. LOL Almost every display set was missing 5-35% of the total bricks we needed for it.

Haha are they hollow to save money or something?
  • Dread_PirateDread_Pirate Member Posts: 184
    The sets in the acrylic display cases come to the stores already assembled and usually the movable parts are set with hot glue to prevent them from moving once they are shipped. I have contacted Lego about these sets and they said that retailers purchase the sets from them already assembled and ready to go. Target calls the displays a "Work of Art" and cannot sell them after the display's shelf life is up. I have went from the store manager to a Corporate purchasing agent who is responsible for the displays. Target simply destroys the desplays as a corporate policy. TRU sends them back to the warehouse and who knows what happens after that I have not been able to track anyone down that knows of the fate of their displays.

I would have loved to help build the displays when the Lynwood store opened. I wanted to go to the grand opening but it was not in the cards at the time. I hope Lego opens a store in Tacoma or Lacy as we here in the Central/South sound have no easy access to a Lego store.
  • BombTecBombTec In the MountainsMember Posts: 105
    I agree with @Dread_Pirate. I would love to have a Lego store in Lacey. Even though my wife would definitely hate it :oP

I have also asked on many occasions about the store displays. I was told at Target they have a raffle type drawing after the scheduled display time but have never seen one done or heard anything else about it. Would be cool to get one. (always wanted the giant Vader minifig.)
  • peterlinddkpeterlinddk DenmarkMember Posts: 170
    At my local LEGO Brand Store (Copenhagen), I've often seen the employees build the smaller models in the store, with customers around. I guess that the idea is that you can see the model being built, and I think that is a neat idea.

But for the larger models, Super Star Destroyer, Sopwith Camel, Haunted House, etc. I don't know for sure ...

Some of the unofficial display models are MOCs built by local AFOL groups.
  • MaskieBoyMaskieBoy Member Posts: 25
    Come to think of it I did see a pirate ship that some AFOL's made at the Bellevue store over the summer.
  • CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 249
    I've seen the store displays on ebay. I'd love to get one of the Target/TRU displays
    Just took a look at the set I was trying to get from Target and there is one now on E-bay that state the same as I was told that say it must be destroyed. And that the employee that rescued this set could get fired for doing so.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    Here is a store display I found for sale in an Antique store.

Old 60's store display

They wanted, I think, $840 AUD

It was mechanical, the cats head moved side to side looking at the Mouse and Fish as the scales moved up and down.
    Poochy
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    Can anyone tell me if it's possible to buy them off the shops and if so how much?

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to buy them off the shops and if so how much?

You would just have to contact the manager of the store and ask about the set. Some may be willing to let one go others may follow policy to the letter. If they show up on E-bay then some managers will be willing to let one get through.
    Sherlockbones
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    I was checking out craigslist this morning and I saw this.....

http://gulfport.craigslist.org/tag/3411219953.html
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,906

The sets in the acrylic display cases come to the stores already assembled and usually the movable parts are set with hot glue to prevent them from moving once they are shipped. I have contacted Lego about these sets and they said that retailers purchase the sets from them already assembled and ready to go. Target calls the displays a "Work of Art" and cannot sell them after the display's shelf life is up. I have went from the store manager to a Corporate purchasing agent who is responsible for the displays. Target simply destroys the desplays as a corporate policy. TRU sends them back to the warehouse and who knows what happens after that I have not been able to track anyone down that knows of the fate of their displays.

I'm guessing some manage to sneak out the back door, or are given away as a promotion, as I see these on eBay from time to time.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,115
    When I worked at Target they would not let them go, had to be destroyed per corporate policy. I tried to convince them it would be ok for the Indiana Jones display to disappear out the back but to no avail.
  • saintsaint Member Posts: 1
    I managed to aquire three of these light box displays and the Star Wars motion picture display that interacts with the Lego within. I can,t say how I got them.