Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

When I type in bricksetforum.com without "www," I get http://vanillaforums.com/oops

legomasonlegomason Member Posts: 189
edited November 2012 in Forum Operation

Comments

• LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,908
    I've been wondering the same thing.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,025
    I think that should be fairly easy to fix. It is probably a simple setting somewhere so both the www and without www would be recognized. I know there is a setting in the Google Webmaster tool for websites, but I'm not sure if that would be the place for Forums too.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,284
    bricksetforum.com and www.bricksetforum.com both resolve the same by my DNS so it appears to be something on Vanilla Forum's end. I'll let Huw know.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,333
    I'll contact their help desk but it might be deliberate.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,239
    Is Vanilla Forum the actual hosting domain? Or is it just the forum code? I know for my sites the registration of a domain gets the www.<>.com and the <>.com to the same address in the DNS but I can choose in my .htaccess file you can control whether www.<>.com is redirected along with the <>.com. It's a regular expression "^(www.)?hostname.com". Looks like it is just a user controlled hosting configuration issue.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    They provide the hosting.
  • legomasonlegomason Member Posts: 189
    Now when you type in bricksetforum.com without the www it says, "The forum you requested has been disabled..."
    Best leave the www. on then :-)
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    The domain name management could be transferred to a company that allows more flexibility of domain config and the hostnames pointed to the hosting at vanilla.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,239
    ^ not being able to have .com and www..com both point to the same location is pretty basic hosting ability. I would probably say that it would be transferring to to somewhere proper over somewhere with "more flexibility" since it appears there is no flexibility at all currently =)
    I can probably change it at 1&1.co.uk where the domain is registered, and where it's currently set up using a C NAME record, but I suspect doing so will result in the site being unreachable for a time.
    I just wonder why vanilla forums comes up if that's the case. It seems like it must be something through them...
    edited January 2016
    Yay!!! It's FINALLY fixed!!!!
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,423
    Can we enable https on this forum? I get this when connecting:

ricecakesid3windr
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    I too would like it if we can get https for the forum.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,942
    ^ ^^ HTTPS is enabled - you're using it in that screenshot!

A certificate that is valid for the correct hostname is what you want :)
    MaffyDricecakesid3windrSprinkleOtter
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,423
    ^ you know what I mean. Smarty pants :-)
    paul_mertonsid3windr