Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

eBay Bidders Anonymous?

iancam33iancam33 Member Posts: 407
edited December 2012 in Everything else LEGO
I don't have a lot of experience with ebay but i have been checking the auctions more over the last few weeks and I have noticed something peculiar. Nearly all of the bidders for LEGO products use a screen name similar to "t***l" or "h***j." Are these legit bidders or scammers trying to up the price?

Comments

• ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,640
    The * are used to hid the buyer identity, iancam33 would show as i******3
  • iancam33iancam33 Member Posts: 407
    ah, thanks. I guess it is an option to hide the name then.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    ^It's not an option. Unless you're the seller of the item, the bid history will always appear as x***x. Only the seller can see the actual ID of the bidders.
  • Dread_PirateDread_Pirate Member Posts: 184
    Back in the days of early E-bay you could see the entire name of the high bidder. After a few people got hate mail and what not E-bay started putting the stars in the usernames. I got a few hate letters and requests to buy for auctions I won.

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,388
    edited November 2012

The * are used to hid the buyer identity, iancam33 would show as i******3

I thought that they pick two random letters / numbers from the username, so iancam33 could actually appear as n******m or a******3.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited November 2012
    ^ They do, and I believe its specific to a particular auction, on another auction the same bidder will have a different code, and are the letters even taken from your account?
  • DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    I'm pretty certain the letters are taken from the actual account name.
  • iancam33iancam33 Member Posts: 407
    Thanks for all the info everyone. Much appreciated.