Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO's big clear out

drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,380
edited March 2011 in Everything else LEGO
Is it just me, or did LEGO retire a lot of relatively new sets at the end of 2010 ? Set 3222 Helicopter and Limousine, for example. That seemed to be available for barely a year, and was I think generally thought to be a pretty good set. I'm certanly pleased I snapped one up as I'd have been unhappy to have missed out. My assumption is that there's so much new stuff coming out in the second half of 2011 (Alien Conquest, PotC, Cars, new SW sets, new HP sets etc. etc.) that they were just clearing the decks to make room, but the choice of sets that were retired was in some cases pretty hard to fathom. Can anyone shed any light on this ?

Comments

• rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    With respect to 3222, it was a special edition set in the US that was only available at Walmart and Lego stores so I imagine the production run was always intended to be shorter. Another Walmart exclusive was 7778 that also had a less than one year run. I believe the Brickset information on 3222 listing the US first availability date of August may be incorrect, though.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Hey guys, just a thought, if you've got the time, it makes posts so much more usable if you hyperlink any set numbers contained within to the relevant Brickset page. Saves me having to go check them out manually! Feel free to ignore if you want, I know it's a bit of pain to hyperlink at the moment since you have to do it entirely manually.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,380
    I know it's a bit of pain to hyperlink at the moment since you have to do it entirely manually.
    And that's the reason right there - I generally hyperlink when I'm posting elsewhere (e.g. my blog) but as I'm not familiar with how to do it manually it ain't happening here. Hopefully Huw will work his magic and figure out a way of automating the process for the less I.T. savvy amongst us !

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,547
    Maybe one day... :)
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    Saves me having to go check them out manually!
    What?! You don't know all the set numbers by heart? And you fancy yourself a collector? Hmmph :P
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    What?! You don't know all the set numbers by heart? And you fancy yourself a collector? Hmmph :P
    Nice comeback! looks like I've got some studying to do.

• MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    I know 3222 is Heli and Limo but I haven't got a clue what the other one is.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    Limo and Family home were gone in the blink of an eye here in the US. Same with the Kingdoms battlepacks...
  • TervlonTervlon Member Posts: 23
    Limo and Family home were gone in the blink of an eye here in the US. Same with the Kingdoms battlepacks...
    I think the fact that all the sets you just mentioned were exclusives may have something to do with that. Most exclusives don't stay around often, Republic Tank is another example.

• cardingcarding Member Posts: 4
    Hopefully Huw will work his magic and figure out a way of automating the process for the less I.T. savvy amongst us !

what would we do without Huw.

however Lego could of waited at least to the 2nd half of this year before discontinuing the sets
  • TownTown Member Posts: 68
    I missed City House, the Limo, and the 4x4 w/horse trailer.
  • thesinisterpenguinthesinisterpenguin Member Posts: 96
    It might be that Lego is trying to create a quick turnover of products, making limited runs to ensure that they aren't left with loads of sets hanging around on the shelves or in the stock room. Once people clock onto this short lifespan, they are more likely to buy the set when they first see it, and visit the Lego store more frequently so that they don't 'miss out'.

There are a lot of elements (mini themes) within City, and it makes sense to release them quite close together to keep people interested and looking forward to new releases.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    edited April 2011
    Sets like the City House, the Helo/Limo, etc. are often retailer exclusives; these usually have a much shorter shelf life than regular sets anyway, but the shelf life for these types of sets does seem to be getting even shorter ... that might just be because they are selling out quicker, what with the higher demand for LEGO sets through the recession ...

We do know that LEGO have been trying very hard to improve their production management over the last couple of years, and it seems to be working ... there are far fewer sets in the sales these days, but again that might just be due to demand :-(