Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LUG Nottingham

VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,518
I have not found a LUG for Nottingham UK. If there is one, then I apologize for stepping on any toes.

Here is a Forum to discuss anything Lego-ish in the Nottingham and East Midlands areas.
http://w11.zetaboards.com/LUG_Notts/index/

Comments

• VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,518
    If anyone from the Nottingham or East Midlands area wishes to talk about or swap lego join the LUG. :)
  • tedwardtedward CanadaMember Posts: 163
    Over here in the former colonies we organize by city or region but from overseas it looks like the Brickish Association is the only LUG on your Island. Why not NottLUG?

Sorry if this is a bit of a hijack but I have always wondered.
    Well yes we do have Brickish, but I thought we should have a few regional LUG's and this is currently a completely "unofficial" idea.

I was going to go with LUG Nutz but LUG Notts seemed more descriptive of the location I was hoping to help.

Also LUG East Midlands seemed like too large an area to focus on, as there are literally dozens of towns in the region. Other people may wish to start other Local LUG's.

I am willing to change my plans, if the people who join up give me other suggestions.

• bricksanbricksan Member Posts: 566
    Those in the UK who want to be in a LUG join Brickish other countries have more local LUGS due to their size, the UK has the one due to our size and the need to only have one. There loads of us Northerners that still get together without the need to create a local LUG.
    Some people may not consider the whole of the UK small enough to only have one LUG.
    As I say this is unofficial and no one "has" to join it.
    But if you are near, Nottingham here it is if you want to use it.
    http://w11.zetaboards.com/LUG_Notts/index/
  • tedwardtedward CanadaMember Posts: 163
    Venunder said:

Well yes we do have Brickish, but I thought we should have a few regional LUG's and this is currently a completely "unofficial" idea.

Sounds like a great idea to me. I was just curious why the different set-up seemed to exist. I cannot imagine travelling from York to London for a LUG meeting.
    I was going to go with LUG Nutz but LUG Notts seemed more descriptive of the location I was hoping to help.
    Not that it is a deal breaker but there is already a LUGNuts. :)
    I believe there is also a Lug nuts site on the interweb but that is for something mechanical :) :) :)

I did look for a regional Lego group before starting this, without much luck.
    If Brickish have regional branches? I could not see anything about them on the net.
    Maybe Brickish could consider LUG Notts as the start of a regional network for Lego fans?
    Maybe one of the Brickish authority would like to join LUG Notts as an advisor or an admin?

Something additional for the hobby can only be a good thing, as it shows the hobby is thriving.
    I think Matthew was considering something similar for Manchester?
  • bricksanbricksan Member Posts: 566
    Maybe you should actually be approaching them not the other way round by becoming a Brickish member the AGM next year is in Sheffield so you can attend.

Another regional LUG as you called it could be seen as stepping on their toes and last thing you want to do is start rubbing people up the wrong way who have been doing this for a while now.

If you become a brickish member and explain you idea first before setting a forum up on a 2nd rate piece of free forum software and jumping in head first.

This is my thoughts anyway.

Just incase you didn't know I am, I'm a proud member of Brickish, run a British website that promotes British LEGO builders and a LEGO Ambassador ;-)

I live in Sheffield and arranged a get together recently of both Brickish and not Brickish AFOLS for anyone interested. I personally can't see what benefit having a local LUG would do unless you do it in conjunction with the countries main one.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,578
    There are several regional special interest LUGs in the UK, all of which revolve around trains I believe (NBLTC, defunct; GWLTC, SLTC) but all their members are Brickish members.

There's nothing stopping anyone setting up a regional LUG and I don't think anyone in Brickish will care, but to be honest the UK *is* small enough to need just one club. There is provision on the Brickish website to belong to a regional group and discuss local things with local people but it doesn't get used much.

There's also nothing stopping anyone from having regional get-togethers, like bricksan did recently, and like I did last year (and will do again soon): you don't need the formality of a club to be able to do that.