Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Front page heading

Cam_n_StuCam_n_Stu UKMember Posts: 368
edited May 2011 in Brickset.com
The text on the front page is as follows "Brickset: LEGO set guide" and then in a coloured box "Brickset: the top online resource for LEGO set and minifig collectors."

The latter takes up a fair amount of screen space on smaller displays due to the box highlighting without really adding much information wise. I realise this is pedantic but could the two sets of text be combined as I feel the box and repetition detracts from the otherwise clean layout of the front page or is it there for SEO reasons or similar?

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,450
    Good question. Its purpose is to explain what the site is about to the first time visitor. I hate it when you stumble across a website and there isn't such a statement and it's not obvious what it's about and whether it's likely to be of interest.

However if it is obvious then it's not needed. What do others think?
  • AnseltheCatAnseltheCat Member Posts: 141
    Site design is such a personal matter and up until I read this I have always thought that the layout here was very good.

However Cam_n_Stu does bring up an interesting point. Considering that "Brickset: LEGO set guide" is right at the top of the page, above the six buttons, I wonder if it also needs to be below the buttons? Without it there below the buttons it may be a bit empty though. Maybe you could try it without the one right at the top and replace it with the strap line?
  • LuciusMalfoy7LuciusMalfoy7 Member Posts: 107
    I don't think it's necessary. It is rather redundant, and obviously LEGO is a household name, so LEGO set guide coupled with the tabs displaying features seems good enough.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,258
    I'm not sure any of the text is redundant - one text box displays the name of the site, the other explains the purpose of the site. I personally wouldn't delete either. I might even be inclined to expand the explanation, to be honest.....
    The first text box says Brickset: LEGO set guide. I think this pretty much explains what it is. As I was saying, LEGO's a househould name, so the label set guide in addition to the news and tabs labelled browse, buy, and forum explain the sites features. Just my opinion.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 809
    It's not a big deal, but I admit it does look a little out of place.

I would honestly chop it and write a more detailed 2-paragraph summary on an "About" page, linked on the top row of "brick tabs".

Also, just a pet peeve, but I hate it when websites tout themselves as "the best" or whatever. I would call it "a resource", but I wouldn't call it "the top resource", even if it were. Honestly, I'm not sure if I agree with the assessment or not-- I would say either BrickLink or Brickset, but I'm not sure which. Regardless, I'd suggest dropping the superlative.

DaveE
  • Cam_n_StuCam_n_Stu UKMember Posts: 368
    edited May 2011
    Interestingly I hadn't consciously noticed it said "Brickset: LEGO set guide" above the buttons as well as below until Ansel's post. So maybe it does need the repetition!

I take DaveEs comment about the superlative and I raise you "online"...isn't that rather stating the obvious? I'm also not 100% sure about "collectors"...are all the users collectors?

Still I've just tried playing with the wording myself to try and merge the two but the best I could come up with was "Brickset: LEGO set and minifig guide and forum" which really isn't great.
  • EnbricEnbric Member Posts: 64
    Perhaps there's a way to satisfy both sides and add a button to hide the box.

Personally I don't mind it, but I have seen boxes like that before that explained the site and often there was the option to remove/hide it.

I would also consider removing or moving the first word in the line, "Brickset:", it's a bit repetitive considering Brickset is in big letters right above it.

Either way, it's still nitpicking. I don't think anyone is going to avoid the site because of the box.
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 944
    Here's my take....in which, I agree with some of the above suggestions.

Currently the very top states "Brickset: LEGO set guide" in white lettering and is displayed regardless of which tab you select. I suggest it state, "Brickset: Resource for LEGO Collectors". In addition, the font size needs to be larger than any other font size on any of the pages. Needs to stand out......attention grabber.

As you select each of the tabs.....the tab name should be shown. As example, when you select the "Browse" tab, it state "Browse", which it does. For the default page, which shows the "Home" tab, get rid of the current "Brickset: LEGO set guide" and for the current "yellow box" statement".....rewrite and define the purpose of that specific tab. Similar to what you did for the "Browse" tab.

Hope it makes sense.
  • vynsanevynsane Member Posts: 179
    edited May 2011
    Web design theory states that, top to bottom, the content on the page proceeds from the most general to the most specific. The 'main header' should be something all-encompassing that isn't too specific as to need to be changed as new features are added or new directions in the mission of the site are undertaken:
    Brickset: The Unofficial LEGO Resource
    This is at once both descriptive and generic enough not to make it ambiguous, but also not pigeon-hole the site to one feature. (Adding 'Unofficial' in there makes sure you're not misconstrued as the actual LEGO website, which the legal team at TLG would appreciate, I'm sure).

Below that, sometimes, is a 'tagline' of a sort that has more detailed information regarding the site, but not as large as the logo, that can change as the direction of the site does:
    The spot for LEGO News, Reviews, Discussion, and Collecting
    This gives visitors a clear, concise delineation of the features of the site, and could take the place of both the second instance of "Brickset: LEGO set guide" and the yellow box, as the title of the homepage.
    Good suggestions, thanks. The page titles are both h1s (that above the tabs and the red heading) and thus Google recognises their importance. Any change mustn't jeopardise the site's ranking at Google, which for 'lego guide', 'lego database' and 'lego sets' is currently #1, which as you can imagine takes some achieving.

As for the yellow box, I changed its content recently, and I'm happy to have better suggestions for it.
    edited May 2011
    Also, just a pet peeve, but I hate it when websites tout themselves as "the best" or whatever. I would call it "a resource", but I wouldn't call it "the top resource", even if it were. Honestly, I'm not sure if I agree with the assessment or not-- I would say either BrickLink or Brickset, but I'm not sure which. Regardless, I'd suggest dropping the superlative.
    I agree with this. However, I believe that while Brickset IS the top LEGO site, not everyone will see it that way, and it could be perceived as arrogant. It is, however, the most complete LEGO resource - even Bricklink doesn't have records of yet-to-be-released sets. I'd suggest changing it to this. It adds a sense of factuality to the claim.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    edited May 2011
    I take DaveEs comment about the superlative and I raise you "online"...isn't that rather stating the obvious? I'm also not 100% sure about "collectors"...are all the users collectors?
    I take it was meant to be an entire statement. In other words, it might not be the best Lego resource when compared to offline resources, or it may not be the best resource for moc-designers as opposed to collectors, but it is the best resource for online resource for LEGO set and minifig collectors.

Actually, I see this more as a mission statement rather than a descriptor. Although, that said, mission is being accomplished. ;)

I also approve and second the comments made by @vynsane :)
    So, (I'm just working on the code), what's the consensus?

'Brickset: an unofficial resource for LEGO set and minifig collectors.'
    'Brickset: the complete resource for LEGO collectors.'

More suggestions welcome...

I wouldn't want it going over 2 lines maximum.
    You mean for the tan box under "Brickset: LEGO set guide" ?

I'll go with @vynsane "The spot for LEGO News, Reviews, Discussion, and Collecting"

Whatever you change it to, just don't mess up your SEO ;)
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,258
    It won't be the complete resource until we get the set inventories on Brickset...

;-)

I'd go for 'Brickset: the unofficial resource for LEGO set and minifig collectors.', i.e. I'd change the "an" to a "the", although there's always the risk that such a small word substitution might get people's backs up on other prominent sites.....
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    'collectors' or 'enthusiasts'? I'd go with the later, as a broader category.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    I like "Brickset: a resource for LEGO news, reviews, discussion, and collecting"
    edited May 2011
    Just thinking out aloud, if its purpose is to explain to the new visitor the purpose of the site, how about...

Love LEGO? You've come to the right place. Brickset is the complete resource for LEGO collectors worldwide.

I don't think there's a problem with "bigging it up" a bit, as 'complete' or 'the' does in this or other statements.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    I don't have an issue with the use of "the" "THE" "the top" "the leading"... but I don't like "complete"
    ^ Seconded.
  • vynsanevynsane Member Posts: 179
    edited May 2011
    Love LEGO? You've come to the right place. Brickset is the complete resource for LEGO collectors worldwide.
    Frankly, this sounds a bit more 'marketing-y', like the opening of the first paragraph to the site's mission statement on the "about us" page, not the site's tagline.

I like the suggestion of the word "enthusiasts" - a lot of people who buy LEGO might not consider themselves to be collectors. Plus, I know collecting was the intended focus of the site originally, but is that the focus of your visitors? What percentage of your monthly traffic is comprised of people actively cataloging their collection in relation to those who browse the database, submit reviews or comment on news articles? Just because collecting is your focus doesn't mean it's the sites focus - the visitors determine that by how they utilize the data/functionality at hand.

The draw of this site for me isn't necessarily the ability to catalog my collection, but to find out about new sets coming down the pike, or those that I missed out on during my Dark Age that I might want to acquire at some point. In that respect, it's part collecting, but mostly information that I'm seeking from your site. I see the cataloging feature as an added bonus.
    Wow, I never envisaged this becoming such a hot thread! ;)

My two cents: I appreciate the argument about "collectors" vs "enthusiasts" as I still don't consider myself a collector but what about just "fans"?

Distilling the above down I'd go for something shorter like...
    "Love LEGO? Brickset is the leading information resource for all LEGO fans."

Or maybe just 'Brickset: the leading information resource for all LEGO fans' ?

It was probably a mistake trying to formulate this by 'committee': there'll be as many answers as there are members :-)
    edited May 2011
    Actually, according to Fair Play it should be "Love LEGO bricks?" Just saying!

EDIT Ninjaed by Huw. Anyway, I don't think you'll get agreement, but you will get opinions and ideas, which is not a bad thing.

LOL -- not unless we are referring to the company :-)
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    I'm not loving the," Love Lego?". But I do like the switch to enthusiast. I'd hate to see the google ranking negatively impacted, though, assuming any of this threatens that standing...
    This text doesn't influence Google much as it's not a heading.
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 280
    Honestly never noticed it before... and probably won't notice it again.
    Having "Brickset: LEGO set guide" twice at the top of the page is redundant as pointed out.
    @Huw - "Or maybe just 'Brickset: the leading information resource for all LEGO fans' ?" I like it, but then I would! ;)

When was this bit of the design last changed and did it introduce the coloured box? I only ask as, like devilhead, I had not even noticed it until perhaps a week or two before I started this thread.
    edited May 2011
    [Editing Mistake - Post Deleted]
    edited June 2011
    The yellow box has been there since time immemorial...
    I also like the introduction of enthusiasts. I agree, I think there's a lot of people on here who also MOC, or just sell, who wouldn't necessarily consider themselves collectors. I am also not a fan of the "Love LEGO?".

I also think that perhaps enthusiasts may be better than fans. The focus of the site is, of course, for AFOLs and serious TFOLs. Fans sounds a little more passive, but this is just my opinion. I like the changes made, though.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    The focus of the site is, of course, for AFOLs and serious TFOLs.
    Serious TFOLs and serious AFOLs. I could name a few users who post rubbish reviews, comments on the forum etc that are definitely an Adult.
  • EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    Silly question but, TFOL?
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    edited June 2011
    Teenage Fan Of Lego
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    edited June 2011
    Toddler Fan of Lego? :o)
    ^^Yes, it all depends. Some can be very mature in both what they collect and/or build, and others can be worse than some children.
  • thebricksterthebrickster Member Posts: 63
    edited June 2011
    @Huw you could have it genrate a random phrase when you go to the main page every or have it on timmer
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    ^^ & ^^^^ - yes, I think we all appreciate that, but, in general, more adults will post in an adult-like way, and most children will post in a child-like way. There will always be exceptions to both; that's understood, appreciated, agreed & filed away for future reference. Let it lie, please.

Frankly I'm become very suspicious of those that keep bringing this issue up at the very slightest opportunity ... :-/