Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Flagging off-topicness

LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,521
edited November 2012 in Forum Operation
Now that we have the two options of "spam" and "abuse" under the "flag" button I have several questions:
Is off-topicness considered "spam"?
If so, does choosing "spam" notify the moderators?
If not, how can I do it?
I haven't yet clicked the option but will I be able to give a reason for my flag like before?
Is there another way I can (anonymously) flag something to moderators, aside from starting a group PM including them all?

Thanks in advance for any clarification!

Comments

• MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    Since the reactions were enabled, there have been 2 flag buttons. One at the top under the posters username, and one at the bottom by Quote. The one at the top is the original one, and it flags it to all staff for immediate action. This is anonymous and you can add a comment. The 'Reactions' flag button just puts your name on a list of users who flagged a post, only accessible by the admins checking some obscure page in the control panel, although when a post has been flagged 5 times, it does get removed pending review.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,521
    Thanks Matthew. I only see the one Flag, at the bottom, though?
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    To expand on and clarify what Matthew said:

"Flag" at the top: will mark it for the staff, but it won't be processed until a staff member takes a look at it. It provides the ability to add a comment for the staff. Only the staff will know that a post has been flagged.

"Flag" at the bottom: requires additional selection of spam or abuse. Both will publicly show that a user reacted. There are separate queues to process for spam and abusive posts. An offending post will be indicated in the queue once it receives 5 votes of a particular type. For "Abuse", after 10 votes, if a staff member has not yet processed it, the post will become hidden.

At the moment we haven't finalized if we favor one approach over the other, or if we want to keep them both. The main benefit of the former flag is that the notification system is more convenient/effective. The main benefit of the latter is it allows the community to moderate itself if a staff member doesn't happen to be online.
    Thanks for that clarification @rocao.
    I also realised that I can see both flags on the full site but only the newer one in mobile view. That's a bit annoying as mobile is the format I primarily use.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    edited November 2012
    Here you are:
    LIT.PNG 14.7K
    edited November 2012
    Thanks Matthew. See my comment above.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288

I also realised that I can see both flags on the full site but only the newer one in mobile view. That's a bit annoying as mobile is the format I primarily use.

Ah, I forgot that was the case. That's another (and quite large) positive of the newer flag then. I do agree it's annoying that the mobile version suffers from many idiosyncrasies that mostly seem a result of not being properly tested. In this case, it's a third party add-on, but the fact that it's Vanilla approved means it should have been put through the paces.