Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What would you build first?

In a few weeks I'm going to be laid up for a few days, with nothing to do but watch football and build Lego. Oh, the pain and torture.

I have 4 sets that I am willing to break open right now. I don't intend to build them all right now, but they are all "keepers," not investments. If these were your choices, what would you build first?

#7065 Alien Mothership
#7189 Mill Village Raid
#10217 Diagon Alley
#10219 Maersk Train

Comments

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Alien Mothership, that set is better than it looks and just WAY too much fun to swoosh around the room.

It does need the smaller sets that go with it, to create the "scene", but it is just way cool when you spin it and it makes the flying sounds. :)
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Mothership, MVR, Maersk and then DA. Alternating from vehicle to building to keep variety rotating and keeping the biggest set for last.
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    Build the mothership, but don't use the sound brick. Instead, secretly take it to bed with your girlfriend and use it at the appropriate moment. Hilarity ensures.

You know you want to! ;)
    murphquake
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,309
    I am going to disagree slightly with the above. The mothership is the first lego set you should build. But before you do that, you need to make yourself a tinfoil hat to wear whilst building. This will protect you from the government / aliens trying to control your mind.
    Oldfanmurphquake
  • AmberylAmberyl Member Posts: 193
    Having built all four of those recently... I think Diagon Alley is by far the best build of the bunch, with the most interesting techniques and variety. There's interesting techniques in the Maersk Train as well, but the symmetry and the double cargo cars makes for a goodly amount of repetition. The Alien Mothership is neat but the circular nature makes the build somewhat repetitive, and be aware that the diameter is huge -- it's hard to find a place to display it. Mill Village Raid is more of a set-piece diorama to complement other kingdoms sets; it's brick-stacking without anything really special, and so it was an enjoyable mindless diversion, and I recommend doing it when you want a quick fix.
  • tdhbrtdhbr Member Posts: 188
    You all surprise me. I had no idea Aliens would be so popular.

BTW, I forgot I also have a #5770 Lighthouse to add to the selection.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    tdhbr said:

You all surprise me. I had no idea Aliens would be so popular.

BTW, I forgot I also have a #5770 Lighthouse to add to the selection.

Yea, I can't figure out why AC hasn't done better, I stocked up on it thinking it would be a smash hit, what do I know anyway? :)

The Tri-Pod walker was a "sure thing" in my book, I mean, who doesn't want aliens invading your city, and after all you need at least 3 of them, right?

Alas, you can still buy it well under RRP from many places.
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    @LegoFanTexas, send them to NYC then, I'll help throw them out for you ;-)

@tdhbr MOTHERSHIP!!!!!! it's such a fun set, has a couple of great minifigs (reporter, Hypaxxus8, clinger!) and a mildly repetitive but overall fun build that comes together way better than you'd ever expect. I only took it apart because I know I'll make it again one of these days =-)
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,985
    No question. Diagon Alley.

I watched Ds build the mothership, and thought the build looked repetitive.

I do not have experience with the other two, but I love the three building variations in DA, the characters, etc. When you add in the fact that it is the grandest of the HP sets... To me there is no question.
  • AmberylAmberyl Member Posts: 193
    Like LFT, I am totally puzzled by why AC hasn't done better. It was actually AC that got me back into Lego a little bit -- I couldn't resist spending $20 at TRU for a tripod for myself, when I was buying a toy for a friend's kid. (Seeing Brickfair and Monster Fighters there was what pulled me out of my dark age for real.) I've loved every single alien set along with the defense HQ. (Haven't gotten the jet-copter yet, haven't seen it for a good price.)
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,985
    HP and AC are the two lines we have all the main (recent) sets for. :-)
    My 5 year old has been obsessed with aliens, since before AC came out, and he was sooooo thrilled when the line came out. His favorite has been the alien clinger. I did purchase a clearanced extra set just for that alien.

You can add me to the AC lovefest. I'm also not sure why it didn't seem to do well. (I just happen to prefer DA over mothership, though. :-) )