Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Disney to Acquire Lucasfilm Ltd & new SW Films (ep 7+)

13»

Comments

• prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    ^I'm not upset about that at all. Trying to turn the Zahn books into a film trilogy would have been a laughably bad idea for any number of reasons, not the least of which is that Disney shouldn't be allowed anywhere near it, but you also have to consider they would have had to recast all of the OT characters since it's set only five years after Return of the Jedi (which, if I recall correctly, LFT has ceded is by far the best of the original films). :D
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Yes, of course it is, after all, if you want to destroy a 19km long dreadnought, you just have to crash a 10m long 1 man fighter into it and down it goes!

:)

But yes, Zahn would be a challenge to translate into 3 movies, but if you gave it the Peter Jackson treatment, it could be done. Just have to film about 6 hours worth of material for each movie, then figure out how to cut that down to 3 hours per movie.

Then of course release the 18 hour 3 film version on Blu-Ray later on. :)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,540

^ While that is true, he could have bought an island, or a big fancy yahat, or a 747 to fly around in...

He doesn't have to give a dime to charity, the fact that he wants to focus on it, to give back to the next generation, is a nice thing to do.

It buys a lot of Karma points...

I do not think he is trading in his merchandising rights as well, at least I have not heard he has in this deal, but have not really heard the specifics to it. If he hasn't though, he will still make a killing in that respect.

What is more interesting is hearing that 20th Century Fox forever owns the Original Star Wars movie (otherwise known as 'Episode: IV') rights, and owns the other rights until 2020 or something like that.

In general though it is good to see someone doing that in general though..
    I guess that is the question that needs to start being asked in all respects.. how much is too much. Apparently George is one that thinks that something near 4 billion dollars is a bit much for one person.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    prof1515 said:
    Good for George! He now joins the ranks of Bill Gates and Warren Buffet. I was always mystified why Steve Jobs refused to help with charitable causes :(

I do not think he is trading in his merchandising rights as well, at least I have not heard he has in this deal, but have not really heard the specifics to it. If he hasn't though, he will still make a killing in that respect.

I haven't heard anything one way or another, but wouldn't those rights be with Lucasfilm, LTD? Which he owns and is selling to Disney?

What is more interesting is hearing that 20th Century Fox forever owns the Original Star Wars movie (otherwise known as 'Episode: IV') rights, and owns the other rights until 2020 or something like that.

20th Century Fox owns the distrubition rights to the movies, meaning they get a cut of the sales from everything done with those movies. They also put up the money to make them, which is why that is.

It doesn't mean they own the complete rights to the movies.

In general though it is good to see someone doing that in general though..
    I guess that is the question that needs to start being asked in all respects.. how much is too much. Apparently George is one that thinks that something near 4 billion dollars is a bit much for one person.

How much is too much? Personally I think the question is flawed, it implies that there is some amount of money that is "wrong" for anyone to have.

I consider that to be silly, if you earned it, more power to you, do anything you want with it.

It is nice that he wants to leave the world a better place, but it isn't required. That actually is what makes it such a good deed, because he doesn't have to do it, and is doing it anyway.
  • The_Sly_FoxThe_Sly_Fox Member Posts: 42
    I am looking forward to 'The Return of the Return of the Jedi'
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    I'm sure it's all very interesting, but the political discussions really don't have a place here. Please keep it on topic.
    edited November 2012
    bluemoose said:

I'm sure it's all very interesting, but the political discussions really don't have a place here. Please keep it on topic.

You're kidding me? We were having a nice lively discussion there, everyone was being civil. We're 3 pages into this topic, and you go and delete all that?

That is your choice I suppose, but you need a place for such discussions to be moved to other than the trash.

I understand that you guys are trying to keep things on-topic, but if you rule with too heavy a hand, people will lose interest. Sometimes things that get deleted, should be deleted... This was not one of those times.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    edited November 2012

... you need a place for such discussions to be moved to other than the trash.

I disagree; there are lots of places you can go on the internet to discuss this sort of stuff, but this isn't really one of them.

I appreciate you have lot of passion for this topic, and have invested a lot in this conversation, but, seriously, this isn't the place for it.

Everything I've archived was posted on the last page, mostly in the last few hours; and it was, IMO, way off topic
    sadowsk1
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,821
    I agree it was off topic. But I thought we were being civil and it was fun. Could we then have a section of here for off topic sections. Like they do on Brickish.
    bluemoose said:

... you need a place for such discussions to be moved to other than the trash.

I disagree; there are lots of places you can go on the internet to discuss this sort of stuff, but this isn't really one of them.

I appreciate you have lot of passion for this topic, and have invested a lot in this conversation, but, seriously, this isn't the place for it.

Everything I've archived was posted on the last page, mostly in the last few hours; and it was, IMO, way off topic
    You are welcome to disagree, and since you're an admin and I'm not, you win.

But consider that if we go somewhere else to have these conversations, that is less time spent at brickset, less chance we will click on links to buy stuff and pay the bills.

Most forums have an off topic section for a reason, to keep people on the site but to allow conversations to drift off topic and to keep people engaged. In general, I think people will visit maybe 2 forums max on a regular basis, and for many people, Facebook is one of them.

If you want me to go away, just say so. But if not, don't tell me to go to other forums and web sites, that is just not good business.

All my opinion of course... :)
  • collect_thatcollect_that Kidderminster, EnglandMember Posts: 1,327
    @LegoFanTexas

LEGO forum...LEGO discussions! Off topic discussions will only detract from the reason we are here, to enjoy our hobby. Conflict has arisen from genuine LEGO threads, allowing discussion of other subjects, such as politics, is only asking for friction.
    sadowsk1
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,899
    FWIW I can't imagine Disney would have paid $4billion and not gotten licensing rights. I guess it is possible they won't have them for the current movies, but I just can't conceive that. Who knows though.