Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] Walmart - 4204 City Mine $39.97

cwhlscwhls Member Posts: 11
edited October 2012 in Shopping USA/Canada
This week's Walmart ad shows the City Mine (4204) for $39.97. Great find for us as my son has been wanting this one!

cbaker19741265StillBuilding

Comments

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Wow...

If that isn't a misprint, that is an incredible deal... RRP is $99.99!

That is 60% off!
  • cwhlscwhls Member Posts: 11
    I was thinking misprint as well! My son has been wanting this for some time, so I went in thinking it was worth a shot. I couldn't believe when it rang up as advertised...39.97.
  • sipmart242sipmart242 Member Posts: 41
    Wow. See it pays to be on forum at 1am on my way to wallyworld:)-
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    It's 89.97 online, so almost definitely a misprint.
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,073
    ^ Notice the price of Galdalf's Cart in their ad?
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    guess its just a local ad :(
    Ok, found it under 21st - 27th. Guess I could wait another 40 minutes before going home and pick it up.
  • sipmart242sipmart242 Member Posts: 41
    Glad I decided to wait till the morning to go. think I got a case of Lego fever:)-
  • legomasonlegomason Member Posts: 190

^ Notice the price of Galdalf's Cart in their ad?

Yeah, what is up with that? Normally $12 I think.

• rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    On another forum, it was posted from someone saying they were a Walmart employee that it was already identified as a price mistake, but they were told to honor it. It's worth giving it a shot.

Also, one could also try to price match at Target with the Walmart circular.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,893
    I am sure they meant to put the Excavator Truck in the ad at that price but I'll see if my relatives can snag one for me. My son would love it
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 802
    I am heading to wallyworld as soon as my Sunday paper comes!
    murphquake
    and wow! $30 for a Gandalf cart? I'll take eight! Finally Zoidburg, you are becoming a crafty consumer!
    sadowsk1
  • SquareSideSquareSide Member Posts: 170
    Misprints all over the place it seems. lol
  • red237red237 Member Posts: 300
    edited October 2012
    Indeed ringing up at $39.97 at 7am! Picked the kindest looking cashier just in case. They rang up and I held my breath, waiting as he said, "wow - these toys are expensive"
    !!
    Thank you Brickset forum friends for a happy Sunday. What a great deal for some holiday gifts!
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^Now that is a good bargain.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 802
    Picked up this set today and copies for friends. Thank you @cwhls for the heads up. I would have seen this in my newspaper but your post made sure I didn't miss it.

Left the Gandolf set on the shelves...that "deal" isn't as sweet as the deal on the City mine.
    murphquake
  • bige1998bige1998 Member Posts: 16
    Just picked the last one at my walmart for the sale price. Thanks for the heads up this morning.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,977
    This was a very good heads-up. While, this is more than what I typically spend on my nephew, he will LOVE this for Christmas.
  • cbaker1974cbaker1974 Member Posts: 150
    Thanks, got one at my local store, there were 3 left. Told a couple of people browsing in the aisles and they snatched one up too and were thrilled....
  • hleonffuhleonffu USAMember Posts: 243
    Thanks @cwhls. Got one as well.
    Great sale. I may have been to one store but the others I went to have zero on hand. Might try one by my gym later but that's it :P
    I had success finding some at Walmart and also having Target pricematch. Ironically, the harder thing to find was the weekly circular. They weren't in the Sunday newspapers for sale at Walmart and I had to have the Customer Service desk track one down for me.

I won't say how many I got or post any photos for those with delicate sensibilities :P
    Bumblepants
  • StillBuildingStillBuilding Member Posts: 23
    My local store only had one and the guy ahead of me had it. I was able to price match at Target, but they only had one as well. Thank you OP!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,104

Thanks, got one at my local store, there were 3 left. Told a couple of people browsing in the aisles and they snatched one up too and were thrilled....

@cbaker1974, that was cool helping others discover the price!

Dunno if I want to go through a mob of walmart shoppers by me to find the set.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,917
    Lucky! If only I didn't visit the US last week. Glad to know most of you are able to get this deal.
    Got the mother-in-law to snag one for my son. Should be a fun birthday gift for him down the line
    Which newspaper is it in? Orange County, ca
  • RainingBoroSi02RainingBoroSi02 NCMember Posts: 59
    Found mine on the neglected back wall of stuff they can't find a spot for. Thanks for the news!
    Pretty funny, this ad is. Walmart runs an ad for something they have little to no stock on and Target has to price match it. And Target had plenty. We win!
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,977
    I had noticed this past week that this set was OOS at my Target. The recent City sale a week? ago, cleared them out. Before deciding to go to Walmart this morning, I checked the stock online for stock by me. At least several stores were sold out, one was stocked, and the rest had limited quantity. While Target has to price match, there stock (at least by me) was depleted to begin with.
    ^ To prevent this practice, most stores have a price-matching policy that requires verification that the item is in stock at the competitor for that price. I don't think Walmart was really playing games with this price. A $90 city set that isn't a police station is only going to be stocked at the Walmarts with bigger LEGO selections.
    These will make great gifts this Christmas. I'm sure I could pick up a hundred of theses today but I don't have any interest in driving around like that anymore. For $40 it's worth building for the fun of it too.

I think those that want these should get on it as I got the sense that Target is going to look into it and find a loop hole out of it.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    Found two at the smallest WalMart in Madison, WI. Picked both up.

Thanks for posting this!
    FYI, Target is the better deal with 5% Red Card. Make sure you drop by Walmart and pick up the flyer. Target gave me a hard time for printing out the ad from the website. What was a little frustrating is there was a guy in front of me with the actual ad which bought the set. When I got to the register she tells me I have to have the ad. I said you just saw the "actual" ad from that guy before me. So she says she will have to call a manager over.
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,005
    gmpirate said:

These will make great gifts this Christmas. I'm sure I could pick up a hundred of theses today but I don't have any interest in driving around like that anymore. For $40 it's worth building for the fun of it too.

I think those that want these should get on it as I got the sense that Target is going to look into it and find a loop hole out of it.

I'm willing to bet that LFT is out hitting up every Walmart and Target within a 50 mile radius.

LegobrandonCP
    ^ mmmmmm,, highly doubt it. Not a good use of time for one set with minimal return.
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    ^This set could have a good return after EOL. Hard to say for sure.

Btw, this deal is also posted on Slickdeals, so anyone who wants one should probably hurry, even if price matching at Target.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    @gmpirate - "better deal" is a relative term, seeing as how a $99.99 set for under $40 is already pretty damn good. ;)
    mathew
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    Went to the 3 WMs near me. The one with the largets LEGO section didn't have that set at all and had no space reserved for it either. The second one had an empty slot on the shelf with no tag and that WM is the one that regularly has everything full price that the others have on sale so I think they probably just pulled them all so they didn't have to sell them at that price. The third one had 1 and I grabbed it.
    iccarus said:

@gmpirate - "better deal" is a relative term, seeing as how a $99.99 set for under $40 is already pretty damn good. ;)

You lost me here. I offered that an extra 5% at Target is an even better deal and you said it's "relative"??

• ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,672
    Thanks @cwhls, could not get one at Walmart, but got one at Target
    gmpirate said:

Pretty funny, this ad is. Walmart runs an ad for something they have little to no stock on and Target has to price match it. And Target had plenty. We win!

Walmart did right by honoring the incorrect price. I personally have a problem with those who knowing go to Target to price match a mistake.

• ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,672
    @1265, I don't think it is an incorrect price. When there is a type on the flyer the item will not scan at the sale price, in this case it does.
  • momof2boys99momof2boys99 Member Posts: 322
    Congrats to everyone who got one. I have a Walmart across the street and did not go. It is a great price, but the kids picked up so much for Christmas with the Walmart sales. This one is not on their list and I am not going to buy one to sell. I am literally spent. I hope everyone enjoys their set. :0)
    sadowsk1
  • jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    So these ring up this way without having to mention the ad?
    jdylak said:

So these ring up this way without having to mention the ad?

At the two store I went to, they rang up as $39.97 vice what was listed on the box and/or shelf price.

• HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 351
    I got two of these this morning at Wal-Mart for $39.97. We opened 1 and the other will be a gift for a friend for Christmas.

The set that we opened had two bag #1 and no bag #2. I contacted Lego and they are sending out a replacement bag, but that won't be available until Nov. 4. If anybody is thinking about giving this as a present or reselling, be cautious. The lot number on mine was 2R22.

This bag is the trailer for the truck and includes some good pieces such as :
    And all of the 1x1 cylinders for the dirt.

Overall this is a good set even with all the BURPs. I don't know if I liked it so much because of the price or because it was that good, but I would recommend buying it if you can find it at this price.

@1265, I don't think it is an incorrect price. When there is a type on the flyer the item will not scan at the sale price, in this case it does.

It is an error.

What about the LOTR Gandalf Arrives 9469 in the add listed as 29.97......what a deal!!!! Did you scan it to see if it matched the ad? I did, and it showed $12.97.

The set that we opened had two bag #1 and no bag #2. I contacted Lego and they are sending out a replacement bag, but that won't be available until Nov. 4. If anybody is thinking about giving this as a present or reselling, be cautious. The lot number on mine was 2R22.

Interesting....I have a couple that's "2922"...are you sure it's it's a "R" not a "9"?