Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] Target new price matching policy

ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,672
edited October 2012 in Shopping USA/Canada
businessweek.com/news/2012-10-16/target-to-match-web-holiday-prices-at-amazon-wal-mart

Could be quite a bargain if Amazon and Walmart.com prices are matched as you still can use AAA and RetailMeNot discounts and 5% off from RedCard on top of it...

Comments

• andystarandystar Member Posts: 275
    edited October 2012

Could be quite a bargain if Amazon and Walmart.com prices are matched as you still can use AAA and RetailMeNot discounts and 5% off from RedCard on top of it...

"The new online price matching will be promoted in Target stores along with its rewards card and free online shipping, Steinhafel said. Shoppers will do the price match at the customer service desk with a receipt, not while checking out. Customers also can return to a store later with an item if they find a lower online price at one of the named competitors"

From the news article it doesn't sound like the price matching will be done via Target's website. If they did (similar to Amazon) then the AAA + redcard would make the deals incredible.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,672
    From what I understood, you should be able to bring your receipt from sets bought online and have it match at the store service desk, a bit of inconvenience but could be worth it...
  • Little3piggiesLittle3piggies Member Posts: 40
    I use to use coupons a lot in store at target, and their current price match policy is to match the price only if it's still lower than after you'd use a target coupon to go with it. It's ridiculously confusing, but basically i think that the online coupon codes would be considered coupons if you did indeed bring the online target receipt instore to get an adjustment, so the target promo codes would be deducted BEFORE the match. Say you had the Black Pearl at target for $100. Say you also had a target discount code for $10 off. Say you see it at walmart.com for $80. They would first take off the $10, then if the matching price is still lower, they match (so basically the coupon isnt used). They would NOT match the $80 first and then give the $10 coupon. I do however THINK that the redcard 5% is totally icing on the cake and they can't play with that..
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for the info @ColoradoBricks.

I'm excited about the new policy, but with respect to Lego, I suspect this policy may be of minimal benefit. It appears the price matching only applies to in store purchases.

Reasons:
    1. Limited in store selection- the number of sets carried in store is not nearly what it is online.
    2. The really good online deals sell out pretty quickly. By the time you get to the store, check out and then go to customer service to get a price adjustment, the set could be sold out online. If so, there goes the price adjustment.
  • RTORTO Member Posts: 73
    edited October 2012
    nkx1 said:

Thanks for the info @ColoradoBricks.

I'm excited about the new policy, but with respect to Lego, I suspect this policy may be of minimal benefit. It appears the price matching only applies to in store purchases.

Reasons:
    1. Limited in store selection- the number of sets carried in store is not nearly what it is online.
    2. The really good online deals sell out pretty quickly. By the time you get to the store, check out and then go to customer service to get a price adjustment, the set could be sold out online. If so, there goes the price adjustment.

The very first sentence states: "Target Corp. (TGT) stores will match the online prices of retailers including Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN), Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT) and Best Buy Co. during the holiday season as it works to stem the loss of sales to rivals’ websites. "

Clearly it's not limited to price matching in store purchases.

Although, now that I read what you wrote again, I think you're saying you can only price match online items with items you buy in the Target store, rather than Target.com. Correct?
    New policy lost some of it luster if as they stopped the AAA and RetailMeNot Target.com discounts for toys...
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    @RTO: Correct; based on the article, I'm of the understanding that Target.com will not price match.

For example, a Target store will match a Walmart.com price, but Target.com will not match a Walmart.com price. Sorry for any confusion there:)
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    also, the other point made was that by the time you drag over to customer service with your receipt and have them pull up amazon's site to verify the price, either the item will be sold out on amazon (will they still match?), or the price may have jumped back up again.
    Or a crazy sale like Walmart, 4 or 5 difference prices a day... will be interesting see the experiences of anyone going for it.
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    Well, if nothing else, you can just return the item right there at the customer service. This sounds like a big hassle especially with the typical long line at the customer service during holiday times