Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

PotC: 5 hours of my life wasted

HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,333
edited May 2011 in Everything else LEGO
I thought I had better get up to speed with PotC now that LEGO have the license, so I know who's who and the context of the sets, so I ordered the box set on Blu-Ray and watched it over the last couple of weekends.

I'd seen the first one when it was released and on second viewing I concluded that it's a pretty good swashbuckling yarn.

But, why on why, didn't they leave it there. Movies 2 and 3 -- at 2.5 hours long each, are so incredibly boring and the story so ridiculous and convoluted that they are a total waste of time. The only good thing, IMO, about them is Bill Nighty's prosthetics (Davey Jones).

Am I alone in my view? Will number 4 be any better?

Comments

• whizzardwhizzard Member Posts: 102
    Apparently Stranger Tides is another boring and convoluted outing also..
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    Definately agree about movie 2, thought it was so bad I didn't attempt to watch 3.
    I had been tempted to watch 4 but think that is more down to the LEGO (or game) than anything I have seen on a trailer.
  • gold682gold682 UKMember Posts: 196
    Agree that 1 is the original & best. 2 & 3 are painful to watch and if I can say anything it would be they should have combined movies 2 & 3 into one sequel and cut it too 2 hours in total max. 2 & 3 are just padded out with inane/boring/weird stuff that seems to have no right to be there!
  • CrackseedCrackseed Member Posts: 90
    Yeah, I'll agree with you there Huw. Aside from Depp and the 2 Imperial Solders and 2 Pirate buddies, the movies just have no real pop or excitement to them >_< But, welcome to Hollywood - let's milk it for all it's worth -_- Blegh. No interest in the LEGO line at all either, though the new sword belts are insanely cool. Now if only they'd make them in other colors aside from brown.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    They are awful, I think the only reason the first one was better received was that expectation for a film based on a theme park ride was so low, it couldn't help but beat it. Of course, this then set the bar for the 2nd and 3rd films too high, which just don't make any sense and are incredibly dull to boot.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    ^ A bit harsh ;-)

I enjoyed the first one, as a summer/popcorn swahbuckler. Thought #2 was dire ... so never bothered with #3.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,685
    Watched the second on Sunday night whilst the kids built their NOTW Sparrow rafts - thought we'd make a boys night of it with pizza. What a waste of time. Kids fell asleep, I ended up browsing Brickset! What a waste of an evening!! :)
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    Although I haven't watched them since they initially released in theaters, I really didn't mind 2 and 3. They weren't like the first one but I didn't find them painful.

My wife and I are lucky if we get out to watch 1 movie every few months so maybe it was the thrill of just being out of the house and away from the kids,lol!
  • jgadgetjgadget Member Posts: 181
    ^^ Browsing Brickset! Waste of an evening?
    ^ Smiley?
  • jgadgetjgadget Member Posts: 181
    ^Oops! I missed that, sorry.
    I can only really remember the first film, and not particularly well, although I think I've seen the others.
    Maybe that indicates how I felt about them at the time.
    Which is the one with the stupid (mill?) wheel scene? That is quite probably the worst section of movie I have ever sat through in a cinema. Just dreadful!
  • Brickmaster47Brickmaster47 Member Posts: 28
    You guys are all pretty mild if POTC is the worst thing you've ever seen on screen... the second and third films are convoluted and overblown, but they are fun popcorn films, or a good way to spend an afternoon. If you don't like them, why not make your own POTC films with the minifigs?
    ^^ That would be the one I gave up on - the second!
  • wander099wander099 Member Posts: 114
    I didn't mind the 2nd and 3rd movies. It's true that they were not as good as the first, but they were decent action films. And I will be seeing the 4th.
  • YpresYpres Member Posts: 200
    Well the scenes always look beautiful and I love Jack Sparrow. The movies all have good music and life to them. Besides... not enough movies are set around the pirates/ship-of-the-line time periods. Disney at least has a lot of money to spend.
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 329
    I have to agree, at least on the 2nd one. I liked the 1st movie, but tried to watch the 2nd one three nights in a row back when it was first released to DVD, but I fell asleep at various times each night. I never did make it through the whole thing and I've stayed awake for some pretty bad movies. I don't know what it was, but it just put me to sleep. I didn't try to watch the 3rd one after that.
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 916
    I totally agree. The 20 minute fight scenes get old VERY fast, and the plots were so much weaker. The second one was not as bad, but the third one was just terrible.
  • vynsanevynsane Member Posts: 179
    edited May 2011
    The only good thing, IMO, about them is Bill Nighty's prosthetics (Davey Jones).
    That wasn't prosthetics, it was complete motion capture/digital mapping/3-D rendering.

Anyway, I enjoyed the entire series, mainly because of Johnny Depp. The guy's a madman and it's awesome. The first movie would've been largely forgettable if not for him, and there wouldn't have been any sequels (I guess to the lot of you, that would've been preferable). Regardless, to me, they're entertaining enough. I've seen far worse (and probably still own those on DVD as well).
  • Halberd777Halberd777 Member Posts: 32
    Huw I am with you on your take. Although I love Johnny Depp as a pirate only number 1 worked for me. 2 I fell asleep on three never finished 4 I do not even want to see even though they kicked the 2 other nauseating actors out of it and supposedly made it more Johny Depp but I do not want to chance it. The Writing an story just don't do it for me. It appears they try to make a great story and action sequences but both never come together and the movie ends up boring and even Johnny Depp can't pull it through.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,112
    "But, why on why, didn't they leave it there"

Welcome to US movie-making, post ~1980. If a quick buck can be had with a crappy sequel, it will be done.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,171
    edited May 2011
    You guys are all pretty mild if POTC is the worst thing you've ever seen on screen... the second and third films are convoluted and overblown, but they are fun popcorn films, or a good way to spend an afternoon....
    Exactly..
    I love how jaded people get when it comes to films..
    There should be two ratings for films when reviewed..
    Popcorn rating- how fun the film is, regardless of plot issues, story,etc.
    Movie rating- this is for the snob in all of us... Rating based on Plot, story, character development.. I remember when Starship troopers got 2 stars from 'No Character development'.... DUH..
    Tranformers is not an Oscar masterpiece by any stretch (unless you count an Oscar for Special effects, or CGI) but why did it make 100+ million? Cause it is a popcorn movie... put your brain and common sense aside and just enjoy.. if you cannot then, well, then you are going to be sorely disappointed with movies today...
    Were Pirates 2 and 3 better than 1? No, mostly because not much is ever designed, or designed well to be a trilogy (RE: Matrix) .
    But was it entertaining? I thought so... To each their own I guess.

Oh, by the way, they announced a fifth movie is in the works so enjoy....
  • AETerryAETerry Member Posts: 48
    I've already got tickets for a Midnight Showing of PoTC 4 later this week. I really do love the 1st movie, that is the best one of the 3 I've seen. The 2nd I'd gone and seen, that too was a midnight showing and cuz it was late is why I fell asleep during it having been up all day w/no chance to sleep before hand. But it seemed clear to me with the success of #1, they went to make #2 & #3 to milk the cash cow. Good fun, but not that fun.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    I quite liked them in a 'background noise' kind of a way. Wasnt really concentrating though as I was building ... Think those types of films are only designed to be watched with half your brain switched on anyway :)
    I really like building while watching films actually, and it has definitely reduced my fussiness about what I watch.
  • dmm32552dmm32552 Member Posts: 47
    Like a few others on here, I found the popcorn flick value of POTC 2 and 3 (2 actually wasn't all that bad and 3 was significantly worse but still watchable). To me, they are better than, say, the Transformers franchise. And the LEGO versions are great.

The original is actually very, very good. I'm hoping part 4 is closer to the quality of part 2 than 3 (I know it will never touch the first one though). Again, I enjoy them all to varying degrees.

But I hope this isn't why the rest of the POTC minifig gallery isn't up yet! LOL
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    Movie snob here chiming in...these films have the unique quality of having bombastic action scenes, great special effects, A-list lead actors and are a complete, utter snore. It's an amazing feat to do this. Much like the Star Wars prequels.
    Although watching Johnny Depp prancing around is fun to watch...;)The first is the best one.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,171
    edited May 2011
    I quite liked them in a 'background noise' kind of a way. Wasnt really concentrating though as I was building ... Think those types of films are only designed to be watched with half your brain switched on anyway :)
    I really like building while watching films actually, and it has definitely reduced my fussiness about what I watch.
    Exactly.. I used to watch X-files season DVD sets when working on Lego sets... nice background stuff

• JasenJasen Member Posts: 283
    edited May 2011
    You guys are all pretty mild if POTC is the worst thing you've ever seen on screen... If you don't like them, why not make your own POTC films with the minifigs?
    Haha I would except with the cost of the new Lego PotC It would probably cost more that then real movie to make haha :D

• CrackseedCrackseed Member Posts: 90
    Davey Jones was at least a rather interesting villain overall. Though I guess I shouldn't be too judgmental considering I love Transformers 1 and enjoy 2 despite the trainwreck story and stupid autobot twins >.>
  • drewlardrewlar Guest Posts: 19
    ha lol actully I love the films if you look at them then look at lets say the simpsons movie what one was the bigger waiste of time? :p

And I just seem to like the movies because I love pirates :D
    edited May 2011
    Oh, by the way, they announced a fifth movie is in the works so enjoy....
    I'll reserve my judgement on that until I see how well they did the 4th one. But there is one definite good thing about a 5th movie, it increases the possibility that there will be another wave of POTC sets. I am pleased with the sets so far and there are plenty of possibilities from further sets just from the first three movies.
  • dmm32552dmm32552 Member Posts: 47
    ^ Amen to that, wander. More waves of POTC are a MUST. The Flying Dutchman has the potential to be one of the coolest sets ever made.
  • Brickmaster47Brickmaster47 Member Posts: 28
    I would love to see a Davy Jones minifig!
    ^^ Yes! I'd also like to see a Kraken and Sao Feng's ship.
  • PaulTRPaulTR Member Posts: 115
    I actually own three of the movies, and I must say, the only one I like to watch is the first one; after that, the other two flicks are too "Disney-lame-seaqualized". However, I'm liking the LEGO sets; I gotta get me a Jack Sparrow minifig, if only for my older sister, who practically worships Johnny Dep.
    POTC 4 given 2 stars (out of 5), doesn't seem like they learnt anything from 2 and 3!
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,218
    ^ Oh, I don't know - anything above 1 out of 5 seems like an improvement on the second and third films !
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    You're all a bunch of sticks in the mud. The first movie is superb and the next two were good popcorn movies that had no Oscar or Bafta aspirations. There are great and good films and there are great and good movies. And sometimes (I'm talking to you Last of the Mohicans, LotR, and Saving Private Ryan) there are great movies that are also great films. PotC 2 and 3 are simply good movies; solid 5.5's / 6's out of 10's. If you want to talk about truly bad movies, then I suggest we move the discussion more towards Transformers 2, Wolverine, Escape from LA, XMen 3, Beverly Hills Cop 3, Virtuosity, Fools Gold, and of course the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull to name just a few. :o)
  • SapmiSatanSapmiSatan Member Posts: 106
    The first film is an excellent adventure film. The second has a lot of the same problems as the third, but compensates for it by having some of the funniest scenes of the entire franchise, which LEGO aknowledged by making those two scenes into sets. It also has the best cinematography and musical score of all the films. The third, however, doesn't have much going for it... The story's not very interesting, it's not very funny... I can't name one classic scene from that film, apart from Lord Beckett's dignified going up in flames, of course. I don't have extremely high hopes for the fourth film, which I am going to see tomorrow, but I expect it to be better than the two last films.
  • jwsmartjwsmart Member Posts: 298
    Listened to a review of the new movie on NPR: http://www.npr.org/2011/05/20/136286541/tides-formula-swash-buckle-repeat-as-necessary
    The review is amusing in it's own right. It's worth a read, or a listen.
    edited May 2011
    ^ Oh, I don't know - anything above 1 out of 5 seems like an improvement on the second and third films !
    Why oh why didn't I listen? It was my birthday yesterday and so caught a flick with my wife after a meal out. Of the two and a half hours, one and half of it I was asleep. Bloody awful!! Certainly not worth two stars. If it means no more PotC LEGO sets after the next phase then so be it.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Anybody ever try to watch Supernova? Now that is a terrible and awful movie. Next to that POTC is golden.
  • pantenkindpantenkind Member Posts: 258
    I am assuming the only reason this worthless to lego topic is even still here is because it was started by a mod? Just checking.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    I don't know, but I guess because it generated interest and is tangentially related to the POTC sets being released by LEGO this season?
    sorry, I was only making a point about another thread. Feel free to delete this and the previous comment I made.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,284
    @pantenkind: we've generally taken a wait-and-see approach when dealing with borderline discussions. In this case, while discussion of the PotC movies are not materially about LEGO, they are tangent to the recently released and popular PotC theme, as you probably know. But the primary reason this discussion stood was the quantity and quality of the responses. By comparison, there was a discussion a few weeks ago about the LEGO Ninjago animated series that did not generate the same interest and the responses were listless, and was consequently removed after giving it a chance to succeed.

The fact that Huw created this discussion most likely was a factor in the number of comments it received, but the comments alone gave justification for it to stand.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,333
    The link with LEGO is a bit tenuous, I agree, but the ensuing discussion has been quite interesting.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    ^ Certainly more interesting than the films anyway.
    honestly the thread didnt bother me. Like I said, I was just making a point, and a juvenile one at that. I was just on my soapbox. I apologize.